Kitten Problems

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

I've posted before. I'm in the process of adopting a rescue kitten. He was very skinny, the rescuer gave him a dewormer (he tested positive for roundworm) which helped a little. She him to a vet--he was still not gaining much weight, did another fecal and he had Giardia. Gave him meds and he gained about 4 ounces in a week (since he started the meds), which is pretty good. He also has ringworm. They're taking him to a new vet today for a second opinion about the Giardia (first vet weighed him in her office and said he only gained one ounce vs what the rescuer got on her scale where she's been weighing him daily, which to me has more meaning). First vet wanted to wait a week and do another fecal--she also wouldn't give him his final shots or oral meds for ringworm because of his weight. They are seeing what the second vet says (they say normally you wait two weeks after the meds for Giardia then retest--I called my vet who confirmed this). If the second vet says he's making progress, I'm hoping she gives to go-ahead to put him on oral meds for the ringworm. The rescuers are great and very caring.

The cat is about 13-14 weeks old and roughly 1 pound underweight (he's about 2 pounds 12 ounces right now). He's eating/playing/pooping normally. He's alert and very bonded with another kitties (who I'll be adopting too and who doesn't have any of those problems but is being treated for them just in case...)

Anybody out there with experience with kitten parasites and what to expect? Especially with gaining weight?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't have any firsthand experience with this, but here are a few articles that might give you some additional information.

Overview | Pets & Parasites: The Pet Owner's Parasite Resource
Could My Kitten Have Intestinal Parasites?
Signs of Parasite Infections in Cats

I hope other members on this site, who have some experience will come along soon and share their firsthand knowledge with you.

I take it that your vet is not open to call and ask about the weight issue? If they are, you might want to call and see what they have to say.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I don't have any firsthand experience with this, but here are a few articles that might give you some additional information.

Overview | Pets & Parasites: The Pet Owner's Parasite Resource
Could My Kitten Have Intestinal Parasites?
Signs of Parasite Infections in Cats

I hope other members on this site, who have some experience will come along soon and share their firsthand knowledge with you.

I take it that your vet is not open to call and ask about the weight issue? If they are, you might want to call and see what they have to say.
Thanks! Yes, my vet, I don't think the vet would answer. I mentioned it to the receptionist at my vet's office who said it was a good sign that he's gaining weight. I guess I'll see what their 2nd vet says. I'm starting to have a sinking feeling about this... I really hope he's ok.

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Don't despair just yet! See what the second vet says first. Do you have a scheduled appointment for this? Either way, please keep us posted.

And, there still will likely be other members who will offer their input soon, I'm sure!!

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. The rescuers are bringing him to the second vet. And yes, they have an appointment for early this evening. I'm concerned he has something else wrong with him or isn't getting adequate care. I also don't want to be in the position of adopting a kittie who's very sick and might not survive and also can't afford tons of vet bills. I went through a lot when my last cat died (he lived a very long life and got cancer). It was wrenching. I don't want to start off with a cat who might have something serious wrong with him.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi.
Make sure the kitten get some probiotics. I would give them a dose once a day for about 10-14 days. Any wormer takes the good bacteria out. You could also offer some goats milk in a saucer or add goats milk to his plate of food.
Be sure to sterilize all areas the kitten has been. Steam clean the floors and furniture he's been on. Wash his bedding in HOT soapy water. If you don't have a steam cleaner, you can spray a 10% ammonia solution everywhere. Just make sure the kitten is not around and ventilate the area well. By not around, I mean not in the same room until the area is dry and ventilated. Ammonia is the only thing that will kill Giardia. Bleach doesn't. And never mix ammonia and bleach. Also, make sure you dump and clean the litter box. I would wash with antibacterial soap, spray with ammonia, then wash again with antibacterial soap. If you don't sterilize properly, not only can he get this again, but so can your new kittens as well as you. Giardia is not species specific.
It has a gestation of 14 days, which is why they wait two weeks to retest.
Do you feed dry or wet? I highly recommend feeding wet (kitten) three times a day and free feed dry (kitten).

Good luck with this, it is nasty. Fortunately, mine were only around 14 days when they got it and it was much easier to contain. They were found in a bowl on the highway, I assume they got it from their mom.

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi.
Make sure the kitten get some probiotics. I would give them a dose once a day for about 10-14 days. Any wormer takes the good bacteria out. You could also offer some goats milk in a saucer or add goats milk to his plate of food.
Be sure to sterilize all areas the kitten has been. Steam clean the floors and furniture he's been on. Wash his bedding in HOT soapy water. If you don't have a steam cleaner, you can spray a 10% ammonia solution everywhere. Just make sure the kitten is not around and ventilate the area well. By not around, I mean not in the same room until the area is dry and ventilated. Ammonia is the only thing that will kill Giardia. Bleach doesn't. And never mix ammonia and bleach. Also, make sure you dump and clean the litter box. I would wash with antibacterial soap, spray with ammonia, then wash again with antibacterial soap. If you don't sterilize properly, not only can he get this again, but so can your new kittens as well as you. Giardia is not species specific.
It has a gestation of 14 days, which is why they wait two weeks to retest.
Do you feed dry or wet? I highly recommend feeding wet (kitten) three times a day and free feed dry (kitten).

Good luck with this, it is nasty. Fortunately, mine were only around 14 days when they got it and it was much easier to contain. They were found in a bowl on the highway, I assume they got it from their mom.
Thank you so much for this! They are not currently in my care--which is making this tougher. They're still with the rescuer. She says she disinfects. Very good to know about ammonia. Does ammonia also kill ringworm? He has that too.

If they end up coming to me (the second vet feels they're ok), then I will do all of that. Can you recommend any kitten probiotics?

Do you think it's a good sign he's eating and gaining weight (no diarrhea or lethargy)? Or does that not make a difference? Also, is it normal for kittens to not gain weight when they have Giardia? And can they fully recover from it?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is a good sign and yes they can fully recover. It is a protozoa parasite, not a disease. However, if left untreated, then it could be deadly in young or immune deficient animals. I don't know if ammonia will kill ringworm. I have always used iodine for ringworm. My son got it once (from a kid on his bus) and have seen horses with it. I just used a q-tip, dipped in iodine and put it on the ringworm area a few times a day. Cleared up in a week. I'm NOT saying for you to do this without checking with your vet first. But it's worked for me.
I used Bene-Bac as my probiotic since I already had it for my horses (I just adjusted the dose). But you can buy Bene-Bac for cats and dogs. It is in paste form. You can also use other probios. I'm sure there are some good ones out there. Ask your vet.
If your questioning whether you kitten will be fine, the cat in my profile is one of the ones that had Giardia. She's now 25 lbs and has absolutely no health issues. Her sister is currently curled up on my legs.

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is a good sign and yes they can fully recover. It is a protozoa parasite, not a disease. However, if left untreated, then it could be deadly in young or immune deficient animals. I don't know if ammonia will kill ringworm. I have always used iodine for ringworm. My son got it once (from a kid on his bus) and have seen horses with it. I just used a q-tip, dipped in iodine and put it on the ringworm area a few times a day. Cleared up in a week. I'm NOT saying for you to do this without checking with your vet first. But it's worked for me.
I used Bene-Bac as my probiotic since I already had it for my horses (I just adjusted the dose). But you can buy Bene-Bac for cats and dogs. It is in paste form. You can also use other probios. I'm sure there are some good ones out there. Ask your vet.
If your questioning whether you kitten will be fine, the cat in my profile is one of the ones that had Giardia. She's now 25 lbs and has absolutely no health issues. Her sister is currently curled up on my legs.
Thank you SO much for this! I really need to hear it. It's felt like rough sailing with this little one--and while he's not yet living with me, I'm already attached to him. He just finished a 5 day regime of Pancur (the assistant at my vet's said that's what they also use and normally it completely knocks it out). It was also given (just to be safe) to the kittie he's bonded with (who I also will be adopting). The vet's assistant said that after 2-3 weeks, they re-test and if it's still in the feces, then they do another round of Pancur. For the ringworm, fingers crossed that the new vet oks the oral med which is supposed to really work (along with baths). I also bought this thing called Banixx to put on the lesions, which is supposed to help. All along with disinfecting every day.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BTW, if the rescuer is not disinfecting with ammonia, Giardia lives. Keep in mind, it will live in the environment for a year, unless killed.
If you tell her this, make sure she knows to NOT EVER mix ammonia and bleach.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are the other two on Panacur or being tested? Chances are, they will also get Giardia and ringworm.

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are the other two on Panacur or being tested? Chances are, they will also get Giardia and ringworm.
Yes. There's only one other one and she's on Pancur (and also being given the lime sulphor baths for ringworm) just to be on the safe side.

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
BTW, if they DO come to me, I was planning on quarantining them in the bathroom for the first week, wrapping their pet bed in towels (which I'd disinfect every day), disinfect their bowls/litter with boiling water and purrell (the disinfectant kind) and then after the week, take them out of the bathroom and completely disinfect with ammonia (there's no ventilation in there so I don't feel like I can disinfect with something as strong as ammonia while they're in there).

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Everybody,

So giving the update: Vet wasn't concerned at all about the Giardia (or ringworm), said both were very common. She put food down for him to eat and felt his appetite was just fine (a great thing). She suspects it was the parasites and, possibly, a virus he got before the rescuers found him that suppressed his immune system/contributed to his weight issue. He seemed otherwise healthy. So she ordered a full blood work-up (to rule out hypothyroidism which, she said, some kitties are born with and to see if he does has any infection or anything). If the bloodwork comes back fine, she's doing one final fecal--to rule out additional parasites. She did not give him his shots (she wasn't too concerned about them right now since he had his last shots one month ago) and did not give the oral med for ringworm. She said both suppress the immune system and instead she gave kitten vitamins that help boost the immune system as well as a shampoo and topical with mixa (forgot the name of the rest of this) for the ringworm which she said was very effective. If all goes well when we get the results, the kitties will be coming to me--their forever home! Yay! And the rescuers will come back in January to take him for his final shots and to get neutered. I am SO grateful for these rescuers who really went to bat for this little kitty and very very impressed with the care the vet gave. The rescuers will continue to disinfect and treat for the ringworm (they both finished the pancur for the giardia).

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so happy to hear that it will all be under control soon.
Don't forget to give probiotics to get his gut back in line.
OH, and we want pictures as soon as you can get them.

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so happy to hear that it will all be under control soon.
Don't forget to give probiotics to get his gut back in line.
OH, and we want pictures as soon as you can get them.
Yes! Thank you!! She actually bought the probiotics today (before I even mentioned it to her!) All a good thing. So I will keep you guys posted re: the bloodwork, etc. and once they come to me, I will post pix of these two little cutie pies!