Kitten Problems

novathekittycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We need Lightning McQueen to stop sleeping in closets, stop chewing cords, and Minka to stop chasing him. Please don't suggest cord covers. We need him to think that cords are unappealing. Minka will never even think about touching them. We've had McQueen since September and Minka for 8 years. They still fight, just not as much. Do NOT  suggest rehoming/getting rid of a cat. If you do, I will report.

imaginewizard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Forgive my newbie-ness XD I've been on pretty crappy forums before so IDK what to expect from here, as I joined a while ago but don't really post much.
No worries! I've been around, I know forums can be crappy. I'm new to this forum, and I've found everyone to be super lovely and helpful, and people on here will almost certainly advocate every solution possible before they recommend rehoming. 

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We will try to help as much as we can. But can we have some more information? Some of these problems may be linked. First, the closets - does he open the closets (I have a cat who can) and why do you want him to stop? Unfortunately most cats love to sleep in dark warm places where they feel safe. What you could do is either put catches on all the closet doors, or make one closet appealing to him by giving him his own shelf in it that is more appealing than any other place - put a warm cat bed on a shelf he can reach easily, in a place that is safe. If Minka is chasing him he needs a private place to sleep. Is there any way you can keep Minka out of that room, at least till he gets used to it being his place?

Did you introduce them properly at the beginning? |If they are still fighting after four months you may need to go back and do the introduction thing all over again - it is a bore, I know, but it can work. Here is an article that may help.
[article="32680"][/article]

On the cords, which of course can be dangerous, you are right to want him to stop. But I don't understand why you are against cord covers. Here is an old thread to read that may help, and there are others, if you do a search.

[thread="291879"][/thread]

I would keep the cords as short as possible, and coil them up with duct tape. Even hide them in a plastic box if they are long by making holes in each side and running them out at each end of the box. And of course use redirection play - any time you see him do it divert him with a toy. My cats all know what 'no' means, and verbal communication is important. We do not encourage using any other form of punishment - apart from anything else, it does not work as cats do not associate the punishment with the action.

Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

novathekittycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The reason why I am against cord covers, or any physical barrier, is because it doesn't mentally teach him anything. Think of this.

Kid wants cookies. Kid steals cookies. Parents put the cookie jar high up where Kid can't reach it. Kid still desires cookies, and learns nothing except that cookies are hard to get.

Lightning McQueen won't learn not to like chewing cords by taping them or covering them.

As for closets, all the clothes are in them! We simply don't want cat hair on our clothes.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes management is the best way to deal with some things. Is it worth the effort to train him not to do it, or would it just be easier to close the closet door? If a cat is physically unable to something for a while, sometimes they give up on it.

For the closets, I really would recommend just closing them (using child locks if he opens them). You can try to train an incompatible behavior, like sleeping in a different location, but it may be impossible to train him to stay out of an open closet.

For cords, coat them with something unpleasant tasting like Bitter Apple or a similar product. That's really the only other option besides a physical barrier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

novathekittycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My closet door can't be closed. To close the closet door, I have to move a chair. If I move the chair, I have to move my study desk. If I move the desk, I have to move my bed. If I move the bed, I have to move my dresser.  If I move the dresser, I have to move my model animals.  If I move the model animals, I have to move my craft bin.  If I move the bin, the door won't be able to open since the only other place for the bin is right against the door.

imaginewizard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

My closet door can't be closed. To close the closet door, I have to move a chair. If I move the chair, I have to move my study desk. If I move the desk, I have to move my bed. If I move the bed, I have to move my dresser.  If I move the dresser, I have to move my model animals.  If I move the model animals, I have to move my craft bin.  If I move the bin, the door won't be able to open since the only other place for the bin is right against the door.