kitten problems with pooping

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey all I need help with a kitten i got about a week ago.

A little back story I take kittens in and try to get them cleaned up and make sure they are eating well and using the litter box then I find homes for them. I have bottle fed a few and the whole nine. Its got to the point a few of the kids around here will bring them to me and ask is this yours?

That is what happened to Mickey, a neighbor kid brought him to me at 6 in the morning. I brought him in got him cleaned up from fleas and fed him good. I told my surrounding neighbors i had him in case someone came looking.

He pees great in the litter box and will sometimes poop. But I have noticed he sometimes leaves a trail of poop (little balls) as if he didnt know. Sometimes i see him licking at his but like a mad man and when i check on him he has a poop stuck there inside. I then try to help him but he cries and screams. His behind sometimes seems swollen.

I cant take him to the vet because i just dont have the money.We just took one of my cats in for an ear infection and boosters. I am wondering if this is why he was put out side. Is there something i can do diet wise that would help. He gets wet twice a day and dry free fed.

He is a beautiful sweet loving guy. If you are petting him once he starts purring he starts licking your face.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You shouldn't try to pull any poo that's stuck in him. You can add more water to his diet. Is he getting wet food? You can also add a few drops of olive oil to his food, and even put a bit on his rear. He sounds constipated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much I keep fresh water out and he gets wet food twice a day. I also have given him some goats milk. His poo isnt hard though last night what i cleaned off of him was a little pasty.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He likely needs to be dewormed and may need antibiotics if it's more like diarrhea. You could try adding canned pumpkin (the plain kind) to his food to help the stool be more solid.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Thank you so much I keep fresh water out and he gets wet food twice a day. I also have given him some goats milk. His poo isnt hard though last night what i cleaned off of him was a little pasty.
I agree with the advices give so far, re extra water, some olive or rapeseed oil - coldpressed is best, and plain pumpking.  Harmless everyting.

Yes, count on he isnt properly dewormed.   You know how and where get dewormers?

Its possible to buy them yourself, but you must know some about what - because some of the OTC dewormers arent safe nor good.

But as you DO often rescue kittens, I suppose you know such?

Tx for caring and helping these little ones!

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How can I get him to drink water I havent seen him drink any yet. He will go to the bowl and look at it and turn around? 

I will get some deworm meds at this week. He is such a sweet boy. I have him in the laundry room now so he wont poop around the house. 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he dehydrated? You can tell by pinching the skin on the back of his neck and seeing how quickly it goes back to normal. It's possible that he's getting enough water from the wet food and the milk. Also you might not see him drink the water as he's in the laundry room.

kattykat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When one of my cats was a baby and refused to drink out of a dish we would take a washcloth soak it in water and he would suckle it. Maybe that would help? I'm no expert but if he is dehydrated it could help. Hope your little guy starts feeling better.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good news he is drinking water like a champ now. But something really disturbing happened last night. I picked him up to put in the laundry room and noticed he had a clear mucus oozing out of his anus. There was a lot of it. Anyone know what it could be? 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much is a lot?  Did it have an odor?  Did you deworm him?  What has his poo been like?

I think he needs to go to the vet.  He could have an infection.  

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Its a lot no smell and its clear. I cant take him to the vet I literally have five bucks til friday and i was turned down for care credit me and my husband both.  I dont know what to do. He is eating well and playing fine. 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any change?  Can you try calling the vet even if you can't go in until Friday?

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No more discharge. I took the dry kibble away and he seems much better pooping. I am going to try to get grain free for him this week along with some pumpkin to help soften things up. No more discharge but poop is still a little dry. He is drinking more. Would feeding him the baby food help with the constipation. I know it helps with diarrhea.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any liquid should help.  You can even add a little water to it.  Olive oil or veggie oil will help too.

Last edited: