Kitten Pregnant At 7 Months?

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As you all may know I’m in china currently. I have a friend here who has a kitten who she claims to be 7-8 months old who is pregnant. Is this a very dangerous situation for the mother and kittens at this age? The kitten is a pointed cat who looks to be pretty slender but it’s hard to tell right now. Should we be concerned? (She is trying to find a place to have her neutered as she is in rural china and there aren’t many vets, but that is the plan).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
568A6FBE-88AE-40F6-9EE8-FE780127B3A6.jpeg

This is her. Beautiful cat

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be best if she could have her spayed now. She is a kitten herself.

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It would be best if she could have her spayed now. She is a kitten herself.
She lives in a rural area of china where vet training is pretty minimal and many animals die during invasive surgery due to lack of proper medical training and secondary infection...the driving distance is 10 hours to the nearest large city.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What will she do if there is a medical emergency during birth?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, seven months is very young and problems could arise, but it is not unheard of for kittens as young as five months becoming pregnant. Tom cats are not picky. Being pregnant at that age is very hard on her, she will need lots of extra calories and nutrition, or be spayed now while not far along.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she isnt very advanced, the surgery isnt much more difficult than the usual spaying. at the end of preg it becomes more difficult.

The surgery is invasive and counts as major surgery. But its also a standard surgery, and all veterinary schools train their students in this. (I hope the chinese ones do too)
As you all may know I’m in china currently. I have a friend here who has a kitten who she claims to be 7-8 months old who is pregnant. Is this a very dangerous situation for the mother and kittens at this age? The kitten is a pointed cat who looks to be pretty slender but it’s hard to tell right now. Should we be concerned? (She is trying to find a place to have her neutered as she is in rural china and there aren’t many vets, but that is the plan).
Observe, the kittens wont be copies of pretty momma, unless the tom was point too, or at least, carrier of the point genes.

7 months is young, but with a little luck the delivery may go well. She may have difficult to catch the momma role in the first day or two, so your friend must be prepared to lend a hand.
But again, with a little luck she may be a good momma although young.

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What will she do if there is a medical emergency during birth?
I’m really not sure. Life here is not really seen as much. It may seem different from afar but anyone who has stayed in rural China for a few days can find them fermenting kittens in a jar with juice.(graphic but true), eating dogs during the Yulin dog festival, and an abundance of stray animals and outside pets. Health care here for humans is so over crowded and not of good quality, unless you go to shanghai or Beijing where they may have a recognized medical college.

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she isnt very advanced, the surgery isnt much more difficult than the usual spaying. at the end of preg it becomes more difficult.

The surgery is invasive and counts as major surgery. But its also a standard surgery, and all veterinary schools train their students in this. (I hope the chinese ones do too)

Observe, the kittens wont be copies of pretty momma, unless the tom was point too, or at least, carrier of the point genes.

7 months is young, but with a little luck the delivery may go well. She may have difficult to catch the momma role in the first day or two, so your friend must be prepared to lend a hand.
But again, with a little luck she may be a good momma although young.
Spaying really doesn’t happen here. At least where I’m in the south west. It may seem ridiculous and unheard of but it’s true. No animals here are really neutered and you can find animals of any kind reproducing on the street without a care. Animals don’t really get surgery and rarely go to the vet or get shots.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I’m not really sure what you were asking as I thought you said your friend was looking to have her neutered. The answer is that she should have her spayed as soon as possible. I think it’s better than waiting for a medical emergency, and would prevent kittens from being born into a situation where they might not be cared for.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her question was not about neutering the cat, she said he friend would like to get it done but it just isn't done in that part of China. Her question was how much more concerned should she be since the kitten is so young and how to prepare for her pregnancy...

Now to answer your question, feed the baby the best quality kitten food you can get, dry out all the time and canned as much as you can. Try to acquire a couple baby bottles for kittens, some kitten formula, extra towels and things to keep them warm. Be ready to help raise them if the mother isn't mature enough to know what to do. Keep her inside if spaying isn't possible along with the kittens as well. Good luck!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She should be fine with good nutrition and care. First litters are usually small, two to three kittens, so hope for that. She didn't have a choice in getting pregnant, so now you do what you can and pray for the best possible outcome

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Goats milk is always useful both as supplement for momma and also for babies in an emergency.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a friend here who has a kitten who she claims to be 7-8 months old who is pregnant. Is this a very dangerous situation for the mother and kittens at this age?
Every cat is different and pregnancy always carries some risk. If it eases your mind any, I trapped a feral neighborhood kitten in April 2017 and took her to the shelter's TNR program. She was very tiny and pregnant. She gave birth to 4 kittens just 4 days after I dropped her off. All the kittens got placed in foster homes at 6 weeks. I did hear that one of them died. But momma cat came back to my property for release after spaying. She's quite healthy. Judging by how much weight and size she gained after coming home, I estimate that she got pregnant at only 5 months old. Her full-grown weight is 8 pounds.

As others mentioned, providing the kitten with good nutrition (kitten food) and a calm environment is the most you can do to help her have a smooth pregnancy and birth.