Kitten possibly abused?

schbunny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a Siamese kitten (Brian) from a family online that was giving him away. I got him when he was 6 months and he is probably 8 months now. What I have noticed is he is similar to my other Siamese in many ways, except he is afraid of certain objects which has me worried he was abused.

He starts hissing and runs away from anything broom shaped. As well, I have a blue jacket that I just took out of the closet and that invoked the same reaction. As well, any stranger that comes to the house he is running away -nowhere to be seen.

My other Siamese (Dexter) I have had since 12 weeks, loves everyone who comes to the house, strangers and all and is not afraid of anything except a running vacuum cleaner (understandable).

The family I got him from seemed decent, but I know they had kids and were in low-income housing. Am I just comparing Brian too much to Dexter, or am I on to something? I've had other cats in the past and they had no fear of objects whatsoever.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think what you are seeing is from being abused, it is a lack of total socialization during young kittenhood.

He will likely always disappear when company comes, and act scared/squirrely at things he has never seen before, or hasnt seen enough to get familiar with and realize they are harmless.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with @catwoman707, I doubt you are seeing a young cat that has been abused, but that he is anxious about objects and experiences he is not familiar with, and maybe did not have a lot of 'socialization' experiences to introduce him to things and situations in the first couple of months of his life.  It could also be that being around young children made him feel anxious about loud noises and people but not in an abusive way, just that young children can be noisy and full on with little cats.  All cats, just like people, do have their own personalities and even when they have come from the same litter and grown up in the same surroundings can be completely different; I had two sisters and one was as bold as anything and the other totally skittish and hid from everyone / any new noises she heard.

I hope Brian settles down and gets used to more of the experiences and sounds in your home and comes out of his hiding places sometimes when you have visitors so that more people can enjoy his company, and so that you do not feel worried about him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

schbunny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both, it makes me feel a lot better if he is just afraid and was not harmed :) I will help him to get comfortable the best I can. I'm excited for the summer as he will get to have the windows open and look outside!

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
1) IMO, not abuse. cats hiss at strange objects. My cat Jet hisses at her own toys sometimes and runs away from it, then comes back later and plays with it. She's a bit weird, used to be a former stray. She also hisses at the laundry basket, she also hisses at my clothes. she's weird. i'm her first owner, i know this is not from abuse but just her being a cat :)

2) next point, i agree with what others are posting about your new kitten not being socialized correctly. My Jet exhibits similar behaviors too, skittish, runs away, scared of EVERYTHING. for her its the same, lack of socialization

3) don't compare your kitties to each other it will drive you MAD!! all cats are different, just like humans :) my Charlie is extroverted and friendly and social and LOVES to explore. LOVES strangers and other people, children and animals. Jet is the complete opposite. She's skittish and a scaredy cat and she's nervous and trust only me and my other cat Charlie. I have to treat her differently, and treat Charlie differently. so look at the differences your cats have, and treat them accordingly, it will help your shy kitty in the long run.

4) when you feed Brian, try to approach him from behind or the side and gently pet him while he eats and praise him and talk to him in a soothing voice. this will help you build a bond with kitty. He will trust you more, and understand you're not just the giant weird looking cat that brings food, but you bring love and care also.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

schbunny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

1) IMO, not abuse. cats hiss at strange objects. My cat Jet hisses at her own toys sometimes and runs away from it, then comes back later and plays with it. She's a bit weird, used to be a former stray. She also hisses at the laundry basket, she also hisses at my clothes. she's weird. i'm her first owner, i know this is not from abuse but just her being a cat :)

2) next point, i agree with what others are posting about your new kitten not being socialized correctly. My Jet exhibits similar behaviors too, skittish, runs away, scared of EVERYTHING. for her its the same, lack of socialization

3) don't compare your kitties to each other it will drive you MAD!! all cats are different, just like humans :) my Charlie is extroverted and friendly and social and LOVES to explore. LOVES strangers and other people, children and animals. Jet is the complete opposite. She's skittish and a scaredy cat and she's nervous and trust only me and my other cat Charlie. I have to treat her differently, and treat Charlie differently. so look at the differences your cats have, and treat them accordingly, it will help your shy kitty in the long run.

4) when you feed Brian, try to approach him from behind or the side and gently pet him while he eats and praise him and talk to him in a soothing voice. this will help you build a bond with kitty. He will trust you more, and understand you're not just the giant weird looking cat that brings food, but you bring love and care also.
Great tips and point of view! He definitely is used to me now. I am getting him fixed next month so that might make him a bit calmer. He is so so so hyper but with two other cats and lots of toys maybe he will come into his own. I don't think he got any of that at his old home :(