Kitten Possible Colors?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your female cat appears to be a black and white domestic shorthair, and your male cat appears to be a brown tabby domestic longhair. Do you know anything about their parents or background? That would give us more information about what they might produce.
  • If neither parent carries any recessive genes, you would expect a litter of shorthaired kittens, with some being brown tabby in color, and some being brown tabby and white.
  • If dad carries the recessive gene for solid, you could see some solid black kittens, or black and white kittens.
  • If mom carries the recessive gene for long hair, you could see some longhaired kittens.
  • If both parents happen to carry the recessive gene for dilute (blue), you could see some blue tabby or blue tabby and white kittens.
  • If both parents carry dilute and dad carries solid, you could see some solid blue or blue and white kittens.
  • If both parents happen to carry colorpoint ("Siamese" coloring), you might even see some pointed kittens!
  • The only colors that we know for sure you will NOT see in their kittens are (1) the sex-linked red colors (orange, tortoiseshell, calico), and (2) solid white. If you do see a white newborn kitten in the litter, you can expect that it will turn out to be a pointed cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Okra89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your female cat appears to be a black and white domestic shorthair, and your male cat appears to be a brown tabby domestic longhair. Do you know anything about their parents or background? That would give us more information about what they might produce.
  • If neither parent carries any recessive genes, you would expect a litter of shorthaired kittens, with some being brown tabby in color, and some being brown tabby and white.
  • If dad carries the recessive gene for solid, you could see some solid black kittens, or black and white kittens.
  • If mom carries the recessive gene for long hair, you could see some longhaired kittens.
  • If both parents happen to carry the recessive gene for dilute (blue), you could see some blue tabby or blue tabby and white kittens.
  • If both parents carry dilute and dad carries solid, you could see some solid blue or blue and white kittens.
  • If both parents happen to carry colorpoint ("Siamese" coloring), you might even see some pointed kittens!
  • The only colors that we know for sure you will NOT see in their kittens are (1) the sex-linked red colors (orange, tortoiseshell, calico), and (2) solid white. If you do see a white newborn kitten in the litter, you can expect that it will turn out to be a pointed cat.
Background:
The Queen in the picture had a sibling that was a yellow and white domestic shorthair. Father was a yellow and white color too. The mother was a black and white domestic shorthair. All of them had shorthair.

The soon to be father had a dad that looked exactly like him with longhair while the mother was a white under coated gray tabby domestic shorthair.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you say gray tabby, do you mean the same color as the father of the litter in the picture? I would describe that color as brown tabby (black stripes with a brownish or grayish background). Or do you mean a blue tabby (gray stripes on a beige background)?

Okra89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When you say gray tabby, do you mean the same color as the father of the litter in the picture? I would describe that color as brown tabby (black stripes with a brownish or grayish background). Or do you mean a blue tabby (gray stripes on a beige background)?
Sorry, I meant that the fathers mom was a blue tabby with white.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you say that the mom's father was yellow and white, do you mean that he was orange (sex-linked red)? If that's what you mean, she probably actually had a different father (litters can have more than one father), because all female kittens from an orange and white father and black and white mother would be tortoiseshell or calico (or torbie / torbie and white).

Okra89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When you say that the mom's father was yellow and white, do you mean that he was orange (sex-linked red)? If that's what you mean, she probably actually had a different father (litters can have more than one father), because all female kittens from an orange and white father and black and white mother would be tortoiseshell or calico (or torbie / torbie and white).
Ur right, I know absolutely nothing about cat genetics so thanks for ur responses. I believe that the her sibling was conceived through another father.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ur right, I know absolutely nothing about cat genetics so thanks for ur responses. I believe that the her sibling was conceived through another father.
Hi Okra89, if you don’t mind me asking, why are you breeding your cats?

Okra89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Okra89, if you don’t mind me asking, why are you breeding your cats?
They mated on accident. Both of the cats were 6 months old which was when I was told that they should get spayed and neutered. I went in to neuter the male pictured and all went well until I went in for the female. They performed an ultrasound on her beforehand and stated that she was pregnant which to me came to no surprise since she has been acting weird weeks before. The news isn’t exciting for some members in my family but for me it is. That’s why I came here to ask this question.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They mated on accident. Both of the cats were 6 months old which was when I was told that they should get spayed and neutered. I went in to neuter the male pictured and all went well until I went in for the female. They performed an ultrasound on her beforehand and stated that she was pregnant which to me came to no surprise since she has been acting weird weeks before. The news isn’t exciting for some members in my family but for me it is. That’s why I came here to ask this question.
Thank you for responding! Does it mean that your female is only 6-7 months old? She is still a kitten having kittens, this could be dangerous for her and her kittens :( Is the father her brother?

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For future reference, it's perfectly safe to have a kitten spayed/neutered when they're two pounds, which is normally around 2 months old. I brought mine in for their surgeries around 5 months, and we were getting close to some incest babies even then. The most up-to-date info recommends getting it done before 5 months.

If your kitten is only about 7-8 months old when she has her babies, then she is at higher risk of complications (just like a human who has babies too young). I hope you have a vet you trust in case you have to bring her in unexpectedly! If not, I would find one ASAP.

Okra89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yea she is almost hitting the 8th month soon. She is actually not related to the male cat. We got him from another state . I have a vet in mind that I can come in for because they offer me a discount. I hope she won’t have complications though!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi O Okra89 Do you have any idea when she mated? She looks pretty small in the picture you posted. I'd strongly recommend getting her spayed before she has kittens if she is only 7 months old. Having kittens so young can create a lot of problems for the mother cat as she isn't fully grown yet.

There are a lot of things that can go wrong during or after a pregnancy.

How To Save Your Cat From These 16 Life-threatening Pregnancy Risks

Post-birth Complications In Cats

If she is fortunate enough to have a healthy litter you then have to pay for blood tests, fecal tests, vaccines and worm/flea treatments before you can try to rehome the kittens.

The mother will also need to be spayed so that she doesn't go into heat again right after giving birth and produce another litter in 4 or 5 months time.

The last lot of abandoned kittens I cared for cost me around $1,000 in the few months I cared for them, and I was lucky enough to have healthy kittens that didn't need any more than basic veterinary care.

Getting her spayed before she gives birth will save you a lot of money, as well as mean that there are less potentially unwanted kittens in the world.

Please consider this before you allow such a young cat to give birth.

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!

Fading Kitten Syndrome: 11 Things You Need To Know

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats

Spaying And Neutering - What To Ask Before The Surgery

How Much Does It Cost To Get A Cat Fixed

If you do decide to allow your cat to have kittens then we are here to offer you support and advice if you need it. Please read the articles above so you know what to expect though. It's kitten season at the moment and most shelters are already full of cats and kittens that need good homes.

Okra89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi O Okra89 Do you have any idea when she mated? She looks pretty small in the picture you posted. I'd strongly recommend getting her spayed before she has kittens if she is only 7 months old. Having kittens so young can create a lot of problems for the mother cat as she isn't fully grown yet.

There are a lot of things that can go wrong during or after a pregnancy.

How To Save Your Cat From These 16 Life-threatening Pregnancy Risks

Post-birth Complications In Cats

If she is fortunate enough to have a healthy litter you then have to pay for blood tests, fecal tests, vaccines and worm/flea treatments before you can try to rehome the kittens.

The mother will also need to be spayed so that she doesn't go into heat again right after giving birth and produce another litter in 4 or 5 months time.

The last lot of abandoned kittens I cared for cost me around $1,000 in the few months I cared for them, and I was lucky enough to have healthy kittens that didn't need any more than basic veterinary care.

Getting her spayed before she gives birth will save you a lot of money, as well as mean that there are less potentially unwanted kittens in the world.

Please consider this before you allow such a young cat to give birth.

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!

Fading Kitten Syndrome: 11 Things You Need To Know

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats

Spaying And Neutering - What To Ask Before The Surgery

How Much Does It Cost To Get A Cat Fixed

If you do decide to allow your cat to have kittens then we are here to offer you support and advice if you need it. Please read the articles above so you know what to expect though. It's kitten season at the moment and most shelters are already full of cats and kittens that need good homes.
That pic is from her around 2 months ago or older. She is now relatively the size of an adult cat. I plan to get her spayed as soon as the babies hit a month old so that I don’t make her feel stressed out. Thank you for the links, I will make sure to read them.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That pic is from her around 2 months ago or older. She is now relatively the size of an adult cat. I plan to get her spayed as soon as the babies hit a month old so that I don’t make her feel stressed out. Thank you for the links, I will make sure to read them.
It's generally advised to wait to spay mom until the kittens are 8 weeks old so that you're sure they can eat on their own. Moms can't always nurse after the surgery.

Okra89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's generally advised to wait to spay mom until the kittens are 8 weeks old so that you're sure they can eat on their own. Moms can't always nurse after the surgery.
Thank you, I will have to remember this.

1claire

Tabby Lover
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel like it will be a combination of colors but I am not that sure as to whether what will be the result, but I am happy and excited to know that you will have a bigger cat family. Make sure to send us a photo once the kittens are out.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a lengthy reply because it seems like you do not have experience with raising kittens. I apologize for stating stuff you already know, ahead of time. I hope this helps:

I think if you keep mom indoors and spay her 8 weeks after birth, things should be fine. Also there are a few things you should set up before she gets big and pregnant: I would set up a litter box and a birthing box in your bedroom (maybe the birthing box in your closet?) I would also get a kitchen scale, cheap paper journal, a bottle kit, a syringe and a container of KMR (kitten milk replacer.) when the kittens arrive keep mom and the kittens in your room for the first couple of months. Turn the heat up in your room or give the kittens a heating pad designed for kittens that you heat regularly through the day *kittens especially newborns should be kept in a room at 80-85 F.* Weigh each kitten at the same time, everyday. If one kitten is not gaining weight you can bottle feed the kitten. Also you can kitten proof that one room as best you can.

You need to feed her kitten food now that she is pregnant but she should be eating kitten food until she is 18 months old. Once the kittens arrive she will not want any male cat near her or her kittens..... even her male buddy/the dad. Sometimes this isn’t true but generally speaking it is. Also you do not want any cat anywhere near the kittens if you can avoid it, because it is to easy to get kittens sick (with panleukpedia.) Read up on it. If at any point a nursing kitten seems ill you need to take them to the vet that day. Lastly you should plan on not adopting the kittens out until they are at least 12 weeks old. That extra time allows them to nurse extra if desired. Most importantly it allows kittens to play fight with each other and learn that scratching and biting hurts! (A strict toys are for play, hands are for cuddles policy from the beginning prevents having cats with play aggression issues.) I would spay the girls at 4 months (defiantly spay before they are 5 months old!)! the boys I would neuter between 4-5 months old. You can get it done when they are much younger and just 2 pounds!

Fostering 3 kittens probably cost us $600 in vet bills those first 2 months; to get them up to 12 weeks. Not counting the formula!!! Still worth it! They were put on a vaccination schedule the first chance we got.

:goodluck:

Take tons of pictures! They grow up so fast .... plus you will want to remember their antics years later! If you have any questions please ask us!

Okra89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is a lengthy reply because it seems like you do not have experience with raising kittens. I apologize for stating stuff you already know, ahead of time. I hope this helps:

I think if you keep mom indoors and spay her 8 weeks after birth, things should be fine. Also there are a few things you should set up before she gets big and pregnant: I would set up a litter box and a birthing box in your bedroom (maybe the birthing box in your closet?) I would also get a kitchen scale, cheap paper journal, a bottle kit, a syringe and a container of KMR (kitten milk replacer.) when the kittens arrive keep mom and the kittens in your room for the first couple of months. Turn the heat up in your room or give the kittens a heating pad designed for kittens that you heat regularly through the day *kittens especially newborns should be kept in a room at 80-85 F.* Weigh each kitten at the same time, everyday. If one kitten is not gaining weight you can bottle feed the kitten. Also you can kitten proof that one room as best you can.

You need to feed her kitten food now that she is pregnant but she should be eating kitten food until she is 18 months old. Once the kittens arrive she will not want any male cat near her or her kittens..... even her male buddy/the dad. Sometimes this isn’t true but generally speaking it is. Also you do not want any cat anywhere near the kittens if you can avoid it, because it is to easy to get kittens sick (with panleukpedia.) Read up on it. If at any point a nursing kitten seems ill you need to take them to the vet that day. Lastly you should plan on not adopting the kittens out until they are at least 12 weeks old. That extra time allows them to nurse extra if desired. Most importantly it allows kittens to play fight with each other and learn that scratching and biting hurts! (A strict toys are for play, hands are for cuddles policy from the beginning prevents having cats with play aggression issues.) I would spay the girls at 4 months (defiantly spay before they are 5 months old!)! the boys I would neuter between 4-5 months old. You can get it done when they are much younger and just 2 pounds!

Fostering 3 kittens probably cost us $600 in vet bills those first 2 months; to get them up to 12 weeks. Not counting the formula!!! Still worth it! They were put on a vaccination schedule the first chance we got.

:goodluck:

Take tons of pictures! They grow up so fast .... plus you will want to remember their antics years later! If you have any questions please ask us!
I read all that information which gave me so much background. I have prepped a box for my cat with an big enclosure she can be in when she gives birth. She has many toys and water available. Only think I need now is an extra litter box for her pen. Thank you for the info! :)