Kitten plays in the litter box

hott_ta_molli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How do I make sure my kitten actually uses the litter box? She is about 7 weeks old. I was told she's litter trained, but all she does is play. She literally rolls around in it, and I caught her almost asleep in it. She's already peed on the bed once. I just want to make sure this doesn't happen again. Any advice would be great.

jujubee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would watch her like a hawk. Especially with the weekend here, you can watch to see when she starts looking around like its time to go. Also, put her in the box every hour or so, it should click eventually.
When you put her in the box, take her paw and scratch the litter, like the older cats do when they bury their dirty deed?

She probably isn't trained, fully.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, honestly, this kitten is only 7 weeks. The kitten is not old enough to be away from momma...yet. IMO. I feel that kittens need to be with their mom's long enough to be taught all the different things about life before they can be on their own. So, what the kitten is doing right now...is just being a kitten. Do you maybe have an older cat that can sort of show the younger one some manners? That will probably help. Good luck

EDIT: I just read your other post and now realized that you also have an older cat. Does the older cat and the new cat share the same kitty litter box? Maybe the older one can teach the new kitten how to have good manners!