Kitten pet problem

simplyxtarek

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I've just gotten a new kitten about two days ago and she'll be 9 weeks old this saturday. Been having a little "problem" if you could call it that. She seems like a very hyper girl whenever i play with her and she could go on for hours but whenever i try cuddling/petting her, she moves. I'm only ever able to really pet her when she's quite tired but other than that she doesn't seem very keen on cuddling (I think??). I'm not really sure what the deal is here. Yesterday she was sleeping on my bed and when i went to sleep, she moved up closer to me. Maybe i'm hoping for too much? Any help, tips, advice?? :)

Here's a picture of her

recomper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thats normal kitten behavior. Its like a small kid. It wants to play and explore.

Was she cuddly when u bought or adopted her?

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That all sounds normal to me. Kittens are little terrors. People often don't realize that they aren't misbehaving but are just actually filled with boundless energy. When they sleep it is cuddle time but otherwise they usually just want to play and explore. It is how they learn.

kyface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has a problem with that too. Your kitty might be hypersensitive like mine. Definitely don't force it or else she will become weary of you. Let her come to you for now, make the petting experience a good one and not one she dreads. My cat still has some issues with it. He will bite me if I pet him when he doesn't want it. Do you only have the one cat? If so, she might not be learning correct social skills, so it may be beneficial for her to have a buddy if at all possible. I know my cat didn't start getting better until I got another one. Best of luck you to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

simplyxtarek

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thats normal kitten behavior. Its like a small kid. It wants to play and explore.

Was she cuddly when u bought or adopted her?
Well i went and visited them when she was about 4 weeks old and noticed the same behaviour. I guess she#s just that way naturally. Curious and full of energy.

That all sounds normal to me. Kittens are little terrors. People often don't realize that they aren't misbehaving but are just actually filled with boundless energy. When they sleep it is cuddle time but otherwise they usually just want to play and explore. It is how they learn.
Thanks for your reply :) It's my first kitten so i'm just really excited and i guess i'm just a little afraid of her not liking me.

My cat has a problem with that too. Your kitty might be hypersensitive like mine. Definitely don't force it or else she will become weary of you. Let her come to you for now, make the petting experience a good one and not one she dreads. My cat still has some issues with it. He will bite me if I pet him when he doesn't want it. Do you only have the one cat? If so, she might not be learning correct social skills, so it may be beneficial for her to have a buddy if at all possible. I know my cat didn't start getting better until I got another one. Best of luck you to.
Yes i only have her. Thank you for your reply!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for your reply :) It's my first kitten so i'm just really excited and i guess i'm just a little afraid of her not liking me.
She's just so focused on playing that hanging out with you isn't her first focus. She will eventually start to acknowledge you more. At least she is out an playing. My first kitten spent six days camped out under my parent's bed refusing to come out for anyone.

simplyxtarek

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

She's just so focused on playing that hanging out with you isn't her first focus. She will eventually start to acknowledge you more. At least she is out an playing. My first kitten spent six days camped out under my parent's bed refusing to come out for anyone.
Oh.. I never thought of it that way. Thanks!

recomper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When you first met her, was she a bit curious towards you? Or she was more attentive to the environment?

Did u try to hold/pet her when she was 4 weeks old?

simplyxtarek

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When you first met her, was she a bit curious towards you? Or she was more attentive to the environment?

Did u try to hold/pet her when she was 4 weeks old?
Yes, i held her and pet her but she seemed more curious about the environment.