Kitten Peeing In My Bed!

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 3 month old kitten that refuses to use the litter box. I have got 4 litter box in my room because I have 2 cats/kittens in here. And I’ve tried 3-4 different litters,clumping & non-clumping, but she refuses to use them. She hops out of the box when I put her in there. I’ve tried putting her in there when I see her using outside the box but she stops using the bathroom. She tends to pee in my bed & on my blankets & poop on my carpet or any type of cloth on my floor. I’m fed up having my room smell like kitten pee and I’m tired of having to wash my sheets every single day because of her. I don’t know what to do.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Been in a similar situation. While waiting to work this out, get a large shower curtain, two if your bed is long, and put them over the blankets. Tape the curtains together to cover the bed. Leave the shower curtains on the bed 24/7. You can wipe the pee off of them. There is an advantage in the winter, they will keep you warmer than blankets can.

You may want to rinse them off after taking them out of the package and line dry before using. Some shower curtains have a plastic smell to them.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long have you had her? Did you adopt her from someone else? Or is she one of your cat's kittens? Usually the mama cat teaches kittens to use the litter box.

When she pees on the bed, try to sop some up in a tissue and then put it in the litter box for her to smell. Do the same with her poop. And maybe when she smells her own waste in the litter box, she'll get the hint.

And do ensure you are using an enzyme cleaner to wash the bedding, otherwise she may still smell her scent and continue peeing there.

How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She’s a kitten of the other cat but Salem (the kitten) has yet to learn. It’s like she hates the litter or she’s scared of it. I’ve tried this corn one and I’ve tried a crystal one and a ball one but she hasn’t liked anything.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
All the above suggestions are well worth trying!! To elaborate on Furballsmom Furballsmom 's suggestion of "The Equalizer" (on Amazon.com), this works very well on carpeting/fabric related floor coverings. It does not require saturating the carpet so therefore the drying time is significantly reduced. Enzymatic cleaners would probably work better on blankets, bed material.

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have a closet or bathroom or anything you can shut her in? I would try doing that so the litter box is the only soft thing in the room. Then she will have to use it.

If you don't have anywhere try a puppy pen (one that zips up so she can't get out) with
a hard floor.

Meanwhile you could deep clean your room. You will likely need to replace of all your bedding/cloth in your room and scrub/soak your carpet (use a product that says it removes cat urine), then cover your carpet with something to eradicate the smell. You could also try getting an orange scented Febreze and soaking the carpet in it after you have cleaned it. Cats hate citrus. Just make sure none gets on the litter box/litter/cat toys, etc (move it to a different room while you are doing this.)

Cats have super sniffers so it is hard to clean up soft/fabric things that they have decided are a litter box.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She’s a kitten of the other cat but Salem (the kitten) has yet to learn. It’s like she hates the litter or she’s scared of it. I’ve tried this corn one and I’ve tried a crystal one and a ball one but she hasn’t liked anything.
How big are the litter boxes? Maybe something lower sided might help.

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to add. . for cleaning the carpet what I was talking about is something similar to this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nature-s-Miracle-Just-for-Cats-Stain-Odor-Spray-32-oz/465463268. First you would soak ALL the carpet in that, then after it has dried follow up with this (or something similar) covering the whole carpet: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pure-Citrus-Orange-4oz/808763521
If you can find the gallon version of the Nature's Miracle it is cheaper.

Then once everything is cleaned you can use this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rayovac-Brite-Essentials-3AAA-LED-Pet-Stain-Detector-VBUV-BD/22086108 to check and make sure all of it was removed.

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve tried all of these plus one that has a corn mixture and she’s not fond of any of them. I have different sized boxes she can use with or without a lid. They’re all away from her food & water. I can put her in there but it’s like trying to put a cat in a bath tub. She spreads eagle to avoid it.

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try using a plain clay litter (like the tidy cats litter you posted), not crystals or corn. Then follow the directions I gave you above about putting her where the only soft thing is the litter box.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be sure you dry the floor under the carpet as well. You can do this by hanging the carpet over a line, if you're really strong, or by folding back the carpet a bit at a time. Or you can put newspapers, remember them?) under the carpet before you soak it.

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The cat still has not used the litter box once. She refuses to...every time I put her in there she screams. I don’t know what to do. I’ve tried different litters but she doesn’t like any of them. Both her siblings are using the box but she refuses.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Can you let kitty live in the bathroom for a week or two? Food, water and litter box of course. ( cats like to sleep on towels ) Let her out to exercise when you can watch.
You need a rest ... :vibes::chillpill:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Where is she going now? Did you try any/all of the above suggestions?

I don't think I read about trying a low sided cardboard box (or the top of a box) with puppy pee pads in it instead of litter. If you could manage to get her to use it over time, then you could gradually add a tiny amount of litter, and if she still uses it, then add more, etc.

And, of course, as rubysmama rubysmama asked about - has she been seen by a vet?