Kitten peeing habits

arcanekitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! I recently found myself taking care of an orphaned kitten. She is about three weeks old now and I've had her for about a week. I am new to hand raising kittens & finding answers for my specific questions has been difficult.

I've been stimulating her to go to the bathroom, but I've noticed that she pees a lot when I do, and then she will half the time pee afterwords as well between feedings. She only pees on her own when she is asleep. I just wanted to know if this was normal or not/get some experiences from actual people, and also when I should stop stimulating her.

She is going into the vet on tuesday for difficulty pooping and head shakes, where unplanned on mentioning the urination as well, but I figured in the meantime it wouldnt hurt to ask here!
20200405_104049.jpg

Attachments

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a little cutie! "Wetting the bed" is common at that age. Also, they need to be offered the litterbox during play because just like human kids, they don't realize that they need to go until they are. I have them sleep on towels on top of puppy pads for just this situation. Fortunately, it doesn't last long and typically leads to box trained. I do stimulate them at that age; when they are adequately voiding on their own, there are little results from manual stimulation which is the signal to stop. Keep up the good job and be sure to let us know how the vet check goes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arcanekitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the reply! Really helped put me at ease. I do have a little litterbox set up for her with kitten safe litter. The puppy pads is a great idea, though most of the time her sleep pees have happened on top of me haha. I'll do my best to give an update of her vet visit, shes an absolute darling so I wanna do everything I can to make sure she is nice and healthy