Kitten Peed On The Bed ‍♀️

Gaia&Ella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!
We have a 1 year old female cat (the sweetest on earth) and a month ago we adopted another female kitten who is now about 8 weeks old. Everything went fine, they got along pretty well fairly soon, the little one knew already how to use the litter box and eats a ton.
Now that she is growing up, I can’t say that they’re the best of friends yet, but they play chase a lot and they seem happy together. However, the little one is a bit of a bully against my eldest who lets her do almost whatever she wants.
Half an hour ago, the little one peed on the bed while I was in it and I don’t understand if she forgot to go until it was too late or if she did it on purpoae for aome reason... any advice is really appreciated!
Gaia&Ella

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's unlikely that she "forgot" to go. Kittens are far, far better about things like that than small children. Instinct is a wonderful thing. She could be scent marking the bed as her own, since YOU are the primary being in her little life, and that's where your scent is the strongest. However, many, many times inappropriate peeing is the first symptom of an illness, often a UTI. I'd have her checked by your vet to rule that out ASAP.

Also, use a good enzymatic cleaner on your bed and bedding so that she won't be smelling her own urine, and therefore drawn to that spot again.

Should she NOT have any health issues, let us know, and we can start working on behavioral issues...but VET CHECK FIRST!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bed is the #1 spot for "accidents" for cats of all ages including kittens. There are 5 main reasons: (1) not fully trained yet (otherwise known as kittens arent always 100% with it); (2) medical; (3) stress; (4) habit or (5) smell from prior accidents by this or other cat not properly cleaned. Anyway, if the kitten seems healthy, not stressed, and this is the first accident, I'd focus on #4 and make sure this doesn't become a habit. To do that, either keep the kitten out of the bedroom for a bit, or at the very least, put the comforter in the closet during the day. I'd also strongly advise not leaving laundry & the laundry basket anywhere accessible. If the kitten has problems in other areas besides the bedsheets, you might also need to remove other floor level soft items such as bathmats. (Temporarily of course - just until the kitten settles back into using the box reliably.) And also as Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 said, prevent #5 by using an enzyme cleaner.

If you don't have a great nose, you might also buy a blacklight. The blacklight gives lots of false alarms, but even if you don't have a great nose, if you bend down and take a sniff anywhere the blacklight shows, you'll know. I mean, you don't have a big problem now, you might not get a big problem, but a blacklight is just a good tool for cat owners to have.

Last edited: