Kitten Paws Condition

Tiger.mosley

Tiger and Mosley- best friends
Kitten
Purraise
I recently adopted a 5-month-old kitten Mosley and he has had flaky and peeling paws the whole time we’ve had him. His paws aren’t raw and they aren’t hard and cracked- just peeling and flaky. The paws aren’t sensitive and they don’t seem to be painful to him either. I noticed the condition early on and tried to give it some time to see if it would go away- and after 4 weeks- it has not. We always use natural litters and we slowly weaned him off his old food and onto his new diet- so I can’t imagine that this could be a reaction to his food or litter. He did arrive to us with ringworm higher up on his arm- but that has since healed and I don’t believe this is a fungus. I ordered some “paw butter” that is for dry paws- as I am hoping that is all it is- but it has not arrived yet. Has anyone else had a experience like this or know what is going on? Thank you! ❤🐱

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Sorry no one has responded to your post yet. I would try a little bit of olive oil or petroleum jelly to rub on his paws (wipe off excess) and see if over a bit of time it goes away. Just keep an eye on it for an escalation in the flaking or peeling, and/or other signs of irritation or soreness, if it gets worse then reach out to your vet. It still could be fungal related, but I would give it some time before considering that it is related to that.

I hope other members will come along soon and offer better advice than I have been able to give! Sometimes it just takes a while to get more responses, so be patient and check back often.

Btw, we'd love to see more of Mosley when you get a chance!!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Olive oil is an excellent remedy if this is (and it looks like it) simply dry skin. If your house is very dry, that can certainly cause it. I prefer the olive oil to petroleum jelly, since it is safer if he licks...and he will! You might want to confine him to a bathroom for a few minutes after you apply it to give it time to absorb and to prevent oily little paw prints everywhere!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tiger.mosley

Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your response! I will try putting the oil on his paws and see if that helps. We do live in a dry climate, so that could certainly be the cause. And you are right- we wouldn’t want paw prints all over the house! 😂

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tiger.mosley

Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your response! I will try putting some olive oil on his paws and see if that works! 🐱