Kitten paw pad bleeding

Ryanh2001

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my 4 month old kittens paw pad starting bleed…not sure what happened, but I cleaned out all the possible debris and cleaned her paw/foot with water. I tried wrapping gauze around her foot but it seems to be a struggle and she’s always tearing it off 3 mins after even with medical tape on it. I was wondering if I could use a hair tie possibly? I double wrapped the hair tie around the bandage, but I’m not sure if it can cut off her circulation. It seems tight, but if it’s not tight, she just rips it right off, so I don’t know. She’s sleeping with it on her right now. There’s no other option for me right now and I’m afraid if I don’t bandage it up she’ll get our clumping litter in the wound.

Carteave007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don’t think it’s the best to use a hair tie for long periods of time. It might not hurt but you really don’t know. What I’d do is keep her separated from the litter boxes, like in your room, and then every 4 hours or so, bandage her paw up, put the hair tie around it & offer her the bathroom. Eventually you’ll figure out how often she goes & can just do it until it heals or has a good scab on it. I’m not a vet, that’s just what I’d do 🤷‍♀️

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't use hair ties or anything like that. There's a very big risk that such things will end up inside the kitten and end up being a huge veterinary emergency. Same with medical / first aid tape. Even if the tape somehow stays on, it will be a pain to remove later because the adhesive will be stuck to the fur and be painful to remove without resorting to scissors. A baby sock may work and you could cut the top a bit to make it sort of like a strip to use to tie the sock on to keep it on the paw.

If the wound is small, I would just leave it open to heal. Just clean it daily and watch for signs of infection. You may want to take a picture of the wound and send it to the vet for advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ryanh2001

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. I used a bandage wrap around her wound and used some medical tape to secure it. I’m planning on checking on the wound tomorrow to see if everything looks fine and if so, I don’t plan on bandaging her anymore :) she seems to hate it anyway