Kitten pants easily

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At the time with kitten energy, (and neutered) he took a couple of small 2-3 hour naps, 5 hours at night if we were lucky. The rest of the time he was running and moving and playing. One of those cats who if we played more, he had more energy.

I understand you are attempting to find the difference between your cat and Magnus at this time, and that's not a bad thing to do. But please know that I commented because I saw similarities in activity level, combined with panting. I, too, thought it was just to do with how hard he played.

He was at the vet for another purpose (food allergy) when it was diagnosed. They originally looked for heart failure after finding out he panted. They kept him at the vets office for a half day, so see if he would calm down enough to listen, and the vet asked another internal vet to listen as well. They stated it was "faint" and that she would have classified it as a ".5" if that was an option. (It isn't, so it was a 1) His bloodwork came back fine, so they didn't recommend an echocardiogram. He had no parasites, we had to supervise for overheating and attempt to keep his play sessions smaller and lighter. He was allowed catnip.

It was a VERY stressful time for us. We were still mourning our late cat, whom I had given home hospice care to for 9 months, up every 2 hours with her. Magnus was a "perfectly healthy cat" that we adopted to help our little family cope. Because of this, I'm sorry but I didn't retain the amount of information I normally would. The vet retains all information about his diet, etc and I entrusted his care to their team fully. We followed all recommendations, and any notes I made in-between visits were scanned and kept on his file, not returned to me (no humans inside due to COVID).

I remember both bloodworks came back in normal values, including the extended bloodwork. "Beautiful" was the term used 😹 It was a lot of relief for both us and the staff at the clinic who had watched him grow up. He was there almost monthly from 5 months to 18 months as there were some extra vaccines that weren't part of his adoptive package that we wanted, and then some food allergies once we moved him to a new food (which was hard to diagnose) and then the heart murmur. His 1 year vaccines were also delayed by vet recommendations due to the murmur.
I do wonder though, how long did it take for him to recover? Or is he taking the supplements to this day?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do wonder though, how long did it take for him to recover? Or is he taking the supplements to this day?
At his last vet visit, they didn't hear any murmur and his heart bloodwork a year after suppliments was still normal. He was able to do his dental and a biopsy when he was 1.5 yrs. And was fully up to date on his vaccines by the same time. He has grown since then.

He plays just as hard but doesn't pant, just lays down when he's finally tired himself out, if that happens that day.

When we got Calcifer after Magnus's surgery, we were concerned because the two didn't stop. But both were fine. Its normal for them to chase one another (sprint, hide, pounce, sprint) for one or two hours with no break, and then Magnus to chase one of us or trot around with a toy, and then Calcifer to start up again. Cal needs the break 😹

He will go for his yearly checkup next month. They will listen again to his heart but he hasn't had any symptoms. We likely won't do heart specific bloodwork at that time.

• Purraise
Reactions: kuu

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At his last vet visit, they didn't hear any murmur and his heart bloodwork a year after suppliments was still normal. He was able to do his dental and a biopsy when he was 1.5 yrs. And was fully up to date on his vaccines by the same time. He has grown since then.

He plays just as hard but doesn't pant, just lays down when he's finally tired himself out, if that happens that day.

When we got Calcifer after Magnus's surgery, we were concerned because the two didn't stop. But both were fine. Its normal for them to chase one another (sprint, hide, pounce, sprint) for one or two hours with no break, and then Magnus to chase one of us or trot around with a toy, and then Calcifer to start up again. Cal needs the break 😹

He will go for his yearly checkup next month. They will listen again to his heart but he hasn't had any symptoms. We likely won't do heart specific bloodwork at that time.
Thank you for the information! Your cats sound wild! :dizzycat:

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ironically, I have one cat who zip zooms and plays so hard that he pants too (and has done so ever since he was a kitten, he's 1 now) and I also have another cat who puts his neck over things and "chokes himself out" as I call it. :lol: I just assumed it made him feel better since he's a high stress/high anxiety kitty but hearing that it might be for attention definitely makes sense too! My vet wasn't too concerned about either issue. Levi's panting is always during play and he doesn't pant any other time and my vet agreed that he was probably just going hard with playtime. As for Oliver's choking himself out, she didn't feel anything wrong with his throat or anything so I've just been ignoring him when he does it and yet he still continues to do it so I pretty much tell him "you do you, bro!"

• Purraise
Reactions: kuu

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ironically, I have one cat who zip zooms and plays so hard that he pants too (and has done so ever since he was a kitten, he's 1 now) and I also have another cat who puts his neck over things and "chokes himself out" as I call it. :lol: I just assumed it made him feel better since he's a high stress/high anxiety kitty but hearing that it might be for attention definitely makes sense too! My vet wasn't too concerned about either issue. Levi's panting is always during play and he doesn't pant any other time and my vet agreed that he was probably just going hard with playtime. As for Oliver's choking himself out, she didn't feel anything wrong with his throat or anything so I've just been ignoring him when he does it and yet he still continues to do it so I pretty much tell him "you do you, bro!"
That really puts me at ease! He also only pants during play and ever since I dont play as heavy with him anymore, he doesn't pant! I stay within his limit, when I notice hes breathing heavier I stop and let him take a break. He stopped choking himself now that I discouraged him from it as well!