Kitten on Kitchen Surfaces... again

lilwelshyrs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So despite trying tin foil, citrus, sticky-side-up gaffa tape, Tiberius (my 7 month old kitten) still jumps on the surfaces. 9 times out of 10 it's just because he wants to sit up there, but sometimes he thinks he's spotted food.

Also, any tips on getting my stubborn female cat to like him?! She hisses at him all the time. I introduced them slowly, she's getting better bit by bit with him - now she'll sit with me on the sofa and just growl at him when he sits on the other side of me. Also she's getting more cuddly (like she used to be) but won't cuddle if he's about. How long does it take for cats to finally relax around each other?

Thanks!

Caz

Edit: I know I posted this earlier... couldn't find my original post! Apologies. But advice on my two kitty cats would be great

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used a line of disposable plastic cups on the edge of the counter to keep our kitten off. Anytime she'd jump she'd knock them off and they'd all start to fall and scare her--they bounce when they hit the floor and really make a racket. It really seemed to dissuade her. At our new house, I'm sad to say I've struggled to dissuade all the cats, who never possessed an interest until we lived here--here they sit on the stove and stare out the window. So hopefully after the remodel this won't be an issue.

Leslie

gen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When my kitchen counter tops are wet the kitties try to jump up, but almost always slide off. (the counter tops are high and covered in tiles)

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find that things like foil, and tape really don't work. What does is scaring them. Try the product Scattttttt. An aerosol can with an invisible beam. When the cat jumps up, it emmits a sharp burst of air. It even makes me jump.

I have no cats on the counters. Just once is usually enough. Available in pet stores and on line.

Good luck.

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Why is this such a big deal??? Personally, I let mine go on the counters. To me, it's much easier to simply wipe down the counters with a Clorox Wipe when I'm fixing to prepare food, etc. than the stress and aggravation of trying to "discipline" the cats not to jump up there. Cats are naturally curious creatures. They also love to get up onto shelves, counters and tables because, for them, it's like us being on a balcony. They like being being higher and they enjoy the view! Climbing is something that is natural to them, why punish or scare them for doing a natural behavior????

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We didn't want the kitties on the counters, so just took everything out of the cupboards and filled up the counters for about a month. It was a PIA, but it worked.

Someone went the opposite direction - and removed EVERYTHING from the counters. Empty counters were boring.

As to your female liking him.... rub him all over with a couple of clean rags. Put one under her food dish. Every time you play with her, put treats down on the other one. This will help her associate him with something she loves (food). Also, any time he gets near her, start playing with her or petting on her - whatever she loves. Maybe get a few new toys, and give one to her every couple of days. Help her think that whenever he's around, it's a total party. The idea is to get her associating him with wonderful things - whether it's more attention, play, pets, treats - and those things are associated with his scent. This should help.

salsanchips

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried to keep mine off the kitchen counter tops but eventually gave up. Actually, we settled on a truce of sorts -- stay off when I'm preparing food or have food sitting out, otherwise it's okay. They are going to get up there when I'm away anyway. I make sure to put all food or interesting objects away when I'm gone so they can't mess anything up. These days, they mostly they use the counter top as a means to jump to the top of the fridge and lurk.

lawrice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cats are allowed on the tops, mainly because we have to feed them there or else the dogs will nick the cat food :p

chadsgirl374

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sunny used to climb up on the counters until I bought the Glad press and seal wrap. I put it sticky side up on the counter and that cured him! We have since moved and I don't care whether he's on the counter or not (he very rarely is). I just clean the countertops off before preparing food. I do, however pick him up and put him on the window sill so that he can supervise me properly (as I'm not allowed to move thoughtout the house without his supervision). He's so nosey!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some good ideas, here.

My cats aren't technically "allowed" on the counters, more for their safety than any squeamishness on my part, but they do get up sometimes, just for the fun of seeing me stop what I am doing and reach for the spray bottle. Then they jump down and run away kicking up their heels I know they are taunting me: "ha ha, made you do it!"

Make sure you have other places for Tiberius to jump and climb. Cats need vertical space.

It can take a long time for a resident cat to accept a newbie, but it will happen, don't despair. Sounds like it's going quite well, actually.