Kitten nursing on his own penis

GHsaltie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sonic and his brother Mochi were found at approximately 4.5-5 weeks old, about 18 weeks now. Sonic has always comfort suckled but refuses to be satisfied with anything I've tried to give him. For a while he would suckle on his brother's penis and I had to separate them during unsupervised time. He seems to have grown out of that a few weeks back but now I've noticed him for the first time suckling on himself. I am very worried about this behavior because he is incessant and will go on for an hour or longer. If its relevant their neuters are scheduled for November.
1000003169.jpg

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The suckling isn't sexual in nature so may not stop after neuter. Have your tried a sherpa blanket with thick pile? I know it prob isn't great for them to be sucking on that, but It could get him off suckling on "inappropriate" things. When I've had adult cats do it it seemed like it was just a calming thing to do. Kind of like kids who suck their thumbs until they're 8. Lowers stress, makes them sleepy, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GHsaltie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The suckling isn't sexual in nature so may not stop after neuter. Have your tried a sherpa blanket with thick pile? I know it prob isn't great for them to be sucking on that, but It could get him off suckling on "inappropriate" things. When I've had adult cats do it it seemed like it was just a calming thing to do. Kind of like kids who suck their thumbs until they're 8. Lowers stress, makes them sleepy, etc.
I have tried a sherpa, among other blanket types. He'll knead and suckle on it for a couple minutes but just gets frustrated with it. In the last hour and a half I've seen him suckling on himself 5 times. That's a lot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GHsaltie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you get on a waiting list to have it done sooner. Try chew toys.
They have a good variety of toys though i havent gotten anything specifically for chewing. They are currently teething so i wonder if that could be a factor too.
I can potentially get the neuter done sooner, but I was hoping to wait until November for time and financial constraints. I'm concerned that it may not make a difference though.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
AmazingIy enough, I JUST read a (hystericaIIy written) post on that this week on Facebook. In her cat's case, neutering did cut down on it consderabIy. Now, her cat was so insistent on it that his penis was actuaIIy bIeeding. Stud pants may keep him away from the pertinent part Iong enough to break his habit. And there are cat pacifiers, IittIe nippIe designed for nursing, avaiIabie. That might work weII if he just doesn't Iike the feeI of fIeece or wooI in his mouth.