Kitten Nursing On Herself

SmillaBille

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have adopted a kitten from a shelter. She was together with her mom and siblings, all in good health. When we brought her home, she was 12 weeks old, it’s been a week now. The kitten, Ellie, is nursing on herself when getting ready to sleep. She purrs and seems very happy and then the nursing starts. That SOUND!!!! it drives me nuts I know, I know, it’s all normal, and she should grow out of it naturally, but I had a cat who nursed on everything all her life. Is there a way to stop the habit? I am thinking, putting something that does not taste so well on the area she nurses... Something bitter? salty? what is safe for kitten?

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My only concern if you put something on that area to stop the nursing, it could also stop her grooming that area? I don't know how likely that is but I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come in and probably say I'm wrong

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try diverting her need to nurse on herself to something else, like a plush stuffed toy, a piece of wool or a piece of fleece. Just gently interrupt her nursing and offer her the substitute item. If she takes to it she may not be quieter though.