Kitten Not Yet Neutered Issues

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I recently adopted two rescue kittens (they arrived here nearly 2 months ago). The girl was fixed before I got her. The boy wasn't (he was emaciated and had to gain weight).

He's now super healthy at a good weight, adorable and the plan is to have him neutered by the end of March. He's about 5 months old.

However, this past week, he's started smelling the girl cat's butt, biting her back of her neck and (what looks like) attempting to mount her (I always break it up before it happens).

She tries to shy him away. I have a call into my vet today to discuss maybe moving the neutering date up so he's neutered in the next week or two.

Three questions: 1) Is this because he's frisky OR an alpha thing? (I read online someplace that sometimes cats like to attempt to mount to show dominance).
2) After he's neutered, will this behavior continue (if it's connected to his sexual urges)?
3) Aside from swatting him away, what's the best way to get him to stop?

Thanks for any advice with this.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully your vet will suggest moving up your boy's neutering, as it does sound like he's maturing. Whether he's trying to mate, or being dominant, I'd be concerned that he might also start spraying, so again, the sooner he's neutered, likely the better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I hope she feels the same way.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, try to have him neutered ASAP. Remember the hormones take up to 6 weeks after to leave the body too. It could be a dominance thing, but her being female, she will most likely mature and put an end to THAT. Females are the limit setters and the manners teachers. She is just too young right now, but in time I would bet she will rule the household like most of them!

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for explaining all of that. He is scheduled to be neutered on March 11th (the surgeon at the vet's is out of the office till then). I take him to the vet on Friday for a pre-op check-up and his rabies shot (his final shot).

The vet also said it might be a dominance thing and said "in all likelihood" after he's neutered, it will chill out his behavior.

Meanwhile, luckily I work at home, so every time I see him attempting to get frisky with her, I pull him off of her and say no. After a few days of that, he's starting to get the idea.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, my 10.5-month-old neutered boy still does those things to his sister during play. At this point, it's purely a display of dominance, but it started right about when I saw his testicles drop.

When he gets overzealous, my girl just smacks him, hisses, and scampers off for a minute until he chills out. Then she comes back to give him what's for.

So it will probably get a bit better after he's neutered, but what really matters is that there won't be any chance of pregnancy.

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At what age did you get yours neutered?