Kitten not learning?!

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my kitten, Maya and her much older sister, Felix had seemingly made a lot of progress. Felix no longer bats at Maya, but still hisses often. Unfortunately, it seems as though Maya has stopped listening to Felix's warnings. Before, Felix would hiss and Maya would know to be more gentle or stay away. Now when Felix hisses, Maya will just pounce on her and try to play even more! It's ruining the building trust Felix has been forming with Maya...

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It only shows that Maya is no longer intimidated by Felix. I would let them be. 

Maya is a kitten still, she is GOING to get on Felix's nerves at bit. LOL. Don't worry. Maya will grow fast and WILL learn Felix's limits. Leave them be, they are behaving normally for 2 cats with such an age difference. You could relieve some of the pressure off Felix, by wearing Maya out more

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When Sugar and Spice joined my family, Sheba was a lot bigger than them and dominated them. Not violently, just claiming the best spot to snooze, the biggest portion of treats, etc. Now that they are as big as her, the tables have turned somewhat. They will not be intimidated, and they outnumber her 2 to 1.

The dynamics of the interaction between Felix and Maya will change daily, depending on the mood each one is in. Unless they get into a real fight, let them work it out for themselves. They know cat psychology
better than any human.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I get so nervous because Maya is so small... for now. Felix is a 9 pound mystery and Maya is a maine coon. Felix has never done anything more than a wack but I get nervous for some reason. They sleep together now with no problem whatsoever and Felix even comes out to visit more often but playtime is still a a roller coaster. Last night felix jumped from the bed right by Maya (knowing she was there even) then freaked out!