Kitten not eating!!

Babycat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 9 wk old kitten hasn’t been eating well since Tues. Typically she eats 4x a day. Her meals consist of 1/4 can fancy feast kitten & little Hills science kibble. Sometimes she gets cat treats or bits of ham or turkey. Tues P.M. she started her 2nd round of deworming n that is when her appetite decreased. Sometimes she takes a few bites, usually she’ll at least eat the kibble, but not always. I wonder if the dewormer is affecting her appetite...? It didn’t seem to have an effect with the 1st round. I’m thinking maybe she doesn’t like Fancy Feast any more but she didn’t eat Wellnes kitten food either. I also gave her chicken & potato instead of the cat food, 2 dus ago. Again just a few bites.
should I be concerned?

hortusgirlii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes it’s a concern if cats or kittens don’t eat, cats don’t tolerate fasting well. If she is eating or drinking on her own it’s not an emergency if it’s only a little but it is something to watch closely. If she isn’t eating at all then I would take her to the vet. It might just be a couple off days from wormer, or wormer is a coincidence and something else is wrong. Kittens can get obstructions from eating non food things, or other reasons, so not eating anything, especially if also lethargic is a concern.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Babycat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thx for your reply. She does spend quite a bit of time in the yard so I’m quite sure she eats any manner of insects, mice or lizards,etc. She isn’t lethargic , still plays, hunts, or sits watching the world. I will watch for any behavior changes.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She has no business being in a yard at 9 weeks old. She has likely eaten something she should not have eaten. She should be kept 100% inside until she is spayed, and further until she is at least 9-10 months old. Please get her checked. Lizards can be toxic to cats.

Babycat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I keep her in as much as I can but I’m allergic to cats. she was born feral & her mother brought her to me as I have been feeding her for a few mths. I didn’t know for sure if she was pregnant. Then 1 mth ago SURPRISE! She brought her kitten to me & the baby has never left.

She threw up her deworming meds for the 1st time right after we gave it to her. We waited 1 hr n re- administered . She was ok. Thank goodness That was her last dose. If she doesn’t start eating better by 2mrw, I’ll get her checked. Someone mentioned that maybe she ate well before because she has worms n they made her hungry but now the meds have killed the worms n this is her real much smaller appetite. I don’t know if this is a logical assumption. I have no experience with felines at all.

She will be spayed early February.

Babycat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: Angel started eating again. She just had 1/3 can kitten food & a tiny bit of kibble. I’m so relieved!