Kitten Not Eating Wet Food

Yvonne_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my kitten has been on a diet of free feeding Advance kitten dry food and Whiskas kitten beef in gravy twice a day, once before school in the morning and once after school. He also gets a tiny bit of lactose free milk in the morning as a treat (this diet was given to him by his foster carer). However, I notice him only sucking off the gravy in the wet food and leaving the chunks of meat, only to be thrown out. He used to eat it all in one go. I'm wondering if he's getting fed up with the food and wants something a bit different? He eats most of his dry food when he gets hungry and still meows for his milk so I don't think it's any sort of appetite/health issue. I'm also wondering if there are any better kitten food alternatives (something more organic and natural?), as I've read on the Whiskas packaging that there's flavour and colour added. I live in Australia so I would like something that is easily accessible. Price is not an issue.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a pate form of wet food? My kittens both only lick the gravy off of anything other than pate. With pate, they eat all of the meat, since it's in a form that makes it nearly impossible not to. Plus I've heard that pate is better for cats anyway, since they usually have lower carbohydrate levels than meats in gravy canned foods.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Y Yvonne_ and welcome to TCS!

Yes, kittens and cats are fussy. They'll often go off a certain type of food, just for the sake of it sometimes. I always have quite few options.
I find the one they tend to always eat is also one of the cheaper canned foods: Chicken Fancy Feast (classic recipe), but they only have a whitefish or turkey option for kittens. :dunno:

Have you looked at the Wellness range? It's available in Australia.

How old it your kitten?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yvonne_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten is around 10-12 weeks, thanks for the suggestions. I will try to mash up his food and when it runs out I'll try wellness. Wellness unfortunately isn't sold at my local pet store so I will have to order online. My local store mainly sells Ziwi Peak food. I've noticed there isn't a formula specifically for kittens but the ingredients read much healthier. Any thoughts?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Ziwi Peak is really expensive but excellent quality. I can't feed mine with it as they throw up lamb and beef. Chicken is their meat of choice.
I'm of the opinion that a high quality adult food is as good as a cheap kitten food.
This old thread might also interest you.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy wellness Pate chicken and turkey in 12.5 oz cans. Cheaper than the smaller cans. My other cat only likes wellness core chicken. I buy it online at Chewy.