Kitten Not Eating To Much

vanstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten is 10-week-old, and I am feeding him four times a day. My feeding schedule is the following:
1. 7:00-8:00: half cooked chicken thighs and chicken livers. (I follow the instructions on Making Cat Food)
2.13:00-14:00: goat milk together with the same half cooked meal.
3. 17:00: dry kitten food from Orijen.
4. 22:30-23:00: half cooked meal again.

He only eats a lot in his first meal(about 2-3 ounces). Then he usually eats very little during the rest of the meals. For the dry food, he would only take about 10 pieces every time, and for the fourth meal he mostly only takes only a few sips.

I prepare for him about 5-6 ounces half cooked meal every day, but with this schedule, he can only finish a little over a half of it.

Is that normal?

Moefling

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Skimming through the link you provided it says most cats eat about 4-6 oz per day. Realizing your kitten is only 10 weeks old he is going to eat less but I would check with a vet to be 100% sure and to double check if you need to be giving him anything extra since he is a kitten and not an adult cat

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always given kittens wet food 3 or 4 times per day, as often as i could. Then i left dry food out all the time. So i dont know how this would correspond to the way you are feeding. My kittens always ate a lot of food at that age, they grow so fast.

Has he had a vet visit recently? If not i would, and see what the vet has to say about his size and age?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Skimming through the link you provided it says most cats eat about 4-6 oz per day. Realizing your kitten is only 10 weeks old he is going to eat less but I would check with a vet to be 100% sure and to double check if you need to be giving him anything extra since he is a kitten and not an adult cat
Actually, kittens should be eating twice as much as adults, if not more. So your kitten should be eating up to 12 oz a day if feeding mostly the home-made meal.

How is he doing otherwise? Is he sleepy and tired a lot?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vanstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually, kittens should be eating twice as much as adults, if not more. So your kitten should be eating up to 12 oz a day if feeding mostly the home-made meal.

How is he doing otherwise? Is he sleepy and tired a lot?
Really? I think he is doing very good. He is active at nights and in the mornings, but sleepy in the afternoon. I just had him examined by a vet today, and the vet said he is quite healthy. I do not know what to do now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vanstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One more thing: He likes to scratch the floor beside the feeding bowl when he stops eating. I am not sure what he means. Does that mean that he wants to save it for later? But I cannot save the food outside for too long, since I am worried that the food might be contaminated.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
One more thing: He likes to scratch the floor beside the feeding bowl when he stops eating. I am not sure what he means. Does that mean that he wants to save it for later? But I cannot save the food outside for too long, since I am worried that the food might be contaminated.
Can you give him more frequent feedings? It could be that he’s hungry but he can only eat so much at once. Kittens have small tummies.