Kitten Not Eating As Much As She Used To... Time To Cut Back?

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Reese has always eaten a LOT. She could put down wet food like no one I've ever seen. It's not unusual to see her go through a few cans of food a day and still beg for more.
But lately that's started to taper off. I usually feed her around 4 times a day, but lately she hasn't even really been asking for her midday meals, and there's always about half of it left in her dish. She comes away full and happy and ready to play, she's still picking up weight and growing...but she doesn't have her voracious appetite. And yet she still begs for her morning meal without fail! She wakes up HUNGRY!
I've heard people say that a kitten will let you know when it's time to cut back...is this her letting me know?

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How old is she? Normally by the time they are a few months they really don't need more then 3 meals a day, past 6 months and it's more like twice a day. I am not saying don't feed her if she is hungry, just that most don't eat as often. If she is still a growing kitten, she could just not be going through a growth spurt right now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How old is she? Normally by the time they are a few months they really don't need more then 3 meals a day, past 6 months and it's more like twice a day. I am not saying don't feed her if she is hungry, just that most don't eat as often. If she is still a growing kitten, she could just not be going through a growth spurt right now.
She's 5 months. I've just been feeding her when she's hungry, and based on how she acts that's about 4 times a day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys. I'm going to cut her back to 3 times a day instead of 4 and see how that goes. Should I wean her off of the 4th meal or just cut it cold turkey?

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd just stop giving the 4th meal, unless she asks for it. As I said by the time they are a few months (3-5) they normally only eat about 3 times a day, unless they are going through a growth spurt.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have never eaten more than 3 times a day, so I think it will be okay. :)