Kitten Not Eating After 3 Days Stay At The Vet

TominoJeri

Tomi
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

My wife and I had 2 twin little kittens(Tomi and Jeri) aged 6 months and that was the best decision we made. Recently (5/2/2018) Jeri passed away because of suspected parvo virus(he's been vomiting yellow bubbly liquid every 1 hour, not eating and drinking and there's no vet open near my place and it was midnight before he passed away while holding my fingers 9 hours later). Very sad moment for my wife and I because Jeri was a rather lovely, behave and sleeps with us every night. Fast forward 2 days after that, Tomi also been vomiting the same as Jeri and not eating nor drink, and also very weak but we're lucky since it still morning so we managed to bring him to the vet. The vet give him antibiotics and IV drip and we need to ward him for 3 days. Yesterday, he's safely back at our home but the problem now is, he's not eating or drink anything now and had a very liquid faeces(like urine). The good thing is he's not vomiting and did not look as weak as before. Today at 3pm(+8GMT) I tried to force feed him using syringe, it was successful at first but at this moment of writing this (5 hours after that) he vomit back the food and meds and had diarrhea at the same time. Can someone explain why this happening and is there any solution to it? Or should i bring him back to the vet? Here i attach the vet's bill and meds that the vet gave us. I don't to lose him as they bring so much joy and fun into our life. Plus we think they're a good luck for us as a week after we adopted them, we found out that my wife is pregnant. Thank you for your time and I hope someone can help us on this.

Regards,

15185237308831740443630.jpg
1518523832946-1641067642.jpg
15185238946341702232864.jpg
1518523946183-190145555.jpg

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS :wave3:

I’m so
DB082D92-B578-44FF-96FC-E3C4564CD28D.gif
to hear about what happened to Jeri :alright:

I’m hoping the best for Tomi at this moment that he’ll be receptive to the medications and eat some food and become stronger and can you call the vet and update them on the outcome on Tomi? I’m bumping up this thread for you and I hope someone with more experience with such a case and medications administered to Tomi may be able to help you.

Sending Tomi lots of hugs :grouphug: :grouphug2: :grouphug: :grouphug2: :grouphug: :grouphug2: :grouphug: :grouphug2: :grouphug: :grouphug2: and :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

If you are ready, you may want to post a tribute to Jeri here in Crossing the Bridge

Please keep us updated :hugs:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would definitely call the Vet back and let them know Tomi isn't eating or drinking. What did they say was wrong with him that caused the issue in the first place?

It's possible the medication is making him feel sick to his stomach, sometimes antibiotics do that, but I can't tell exactly what that medication is. If that IS the problem, perhaps they can prescribe a different one for him. Antibiotics can also cause lots of diarrhea :frown:.

Hoping he feels better soon!

Patomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree my mrsgeenjeens, antibiotics can make them not want to eat. Perhaps change Tomi's diet. There is special dry food for when they're sick (Hills Id was given to mine and it was the only thing she wanted to eat). If the cat won't eat for 2 days straight, it's best to take it back to the Vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TominoJeri

Tomi
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

Thanks for your generous and fast reply. Gave him his favourite food and he eats it all within 3 mins and also he's been drinking water but not much. So relieved that he's finally eat and drink! Will keep you guys updated about his condition today. Thanks once again!! Appreciate it a lot.

Regards,