Kitten new to raw

muffinmouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good day all. We have a 5 month old male kitten that has always had very runny, smelly stool. I started reading about a raw diet and decided this was the way to go for us and believed it would solve the loose stool issue. We do not make our own but use Feline Natural which is a raw freeze dried, as well as Primal Fortuna for cats in the Rabbit formula. We also grabbed some Spring Meadows in the raw chicken formula but haven't tried any yet. Ok so granted it's only been 2.5 days but I've seen zero improvement in the stool solidifying. Is there something else I should do? Too soon? He needs to go in some time this month to get fixed. He was too small and underweight for the procedure when we adopted him. Thanks in advance.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, it's possible that he has parasites, and if that's the case, the best diet in the world won't help.  Has he been checked for worms.  Most kittens have them
.  And there are other parasites out there besides worms.  Some aren't even found in the normal fecal testing and require a PCR panel to be detected.

I'm very familiar with the Feline Natural, since a use that one as a treat for my furry ones.  But I've never heard of Primal Fortuna.  I've heard of Primal though...wonder if it's from the same company, only something made for Canada
.  Is it frozen, or freeze dried?  I'm not familar with Spring Meadows either, but that doesn't mean they aren't good raw foods. 

Are you giving your little guy probiotics along with his new raw diet.   It could be that could help with his gut flora.  I know when I switched mine over to raw, I started them on probiotics, and continue to give them, even after two years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muffinmouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saw an add just todayfor Olie prebiotics from the pet store we buy from and am thinking of purchasing. Expensive though. :-(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muffinmouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh and where I live the best place to buy raw pre-made is Metro Pet Market. They have a Facebook page and a great website.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't know what you think is expensive for probiotics
.  And, again, i'm not familiar with the Canadian products.  All I can tell you is that I give my cats the same probiotics that my husband and I take.  We tried giving the furkids probiotics for animals, and they didn't like them
.  Firstly, it took a LOT more of them to equal one serving, and second, apparently they had a bad taste.  The ones we give them must not have any taste, because they do not balk at their food when I sprinkle them on after opening up the capsule.