Kitten Meows Non Stop

ksdedoof

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten meows non stop, it doesn’t bother me as much but it bothers my boyfriend and he wants to get rid of her because of it. I love her and raised her since she was 6 weeks old, she’s now almost 8 months old. My boyfriend found her abandoned with her siblings in a parking lot and took her back home. She seems to cry every time I leave the house or room and whenever I come home. I’ve tried locking her up when she cries, but she doesn’t stop and cries for hours. How do I stop her from crying so much?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Has she been spayed? Even though she is still a kitten, at eight months old, she is already sexually mature (cats can go into heat as early as four months). Hormones can cause cats to yowl to attract a mate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ksdedoof

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles I don’t intend to adopt another cat, we already have a bloodhound and she doesn’t like other cats. She gets along with the blood hound sometimes, she plays with his tail and they sniff each other, but she’s not attached to him like she is to me.
abyeb abyeb yes, she is spayed, nothing about her really changed. She’s probably a little more affectionate after being spayed but that’s about it.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure I myself would lock her up when she cries... she could really be craving companionship and Fun Kitten Times like playing a lot with you, or just playing with you in the room.
:redheartpump: :redheartpump:
Also, kittens go through several growth spurts their first few years, until they are full-grown. Is she getting a good supply of food while you are gone, enough calories for her kitten tummy to feel full? Sometimes kittens meow a lot when they need just a little extra bit of food for the day or night. You can search TCS for a lot of information on feeding kittens and also, about kitten behaviors, to help you out!
Search | TheCatSite
:geekcat:

ksdedoof

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure I myself would lock her up when she cries... she could really be craving companionship and Fun Kitten Times like playing a lot with you, or just playing with you in the room.
:redheartpump: :redheartpump:
Also, kittens go through several growth spurts their first few years, until they are full-grown. Is she getting a good supply of food while you are gone, enough calories for her kitten tummy to feel full? Sometimes kittens meow a lot when they need just a little extra bit of food for the day or night. You can search TCS for a lot of information on feeding kittens and also, about kitten behaviors, to help you out!
Search | TheCatSite
:geekcat:
I give her enough food. She doesn’t eat when I’m not home. She’ll eat when I get home, but she’ll do it on her own, as long as I’m home. She has enough water to drink too, I put out water for her at multiple spots in the house for her to drink.
We used to lock her up when she was a baby whenever she meowed, and she would stop meowing. But it doesn’t work anymore, she’s so persistent.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One important thing to consider is that cats are very different from humans in dogs when it comes to correcting behaviors. When my dogs were young they had kennels and older they had spots to go to when they were getting into something or underfoot in the kitchen. Cats don't respond to what we think of as "discipline." They may respond to redirection. While locking her up might have redirected the behavior when she was small; she is older and wiser and it isn't addressing the root of the issue. Which could be any one of the things we've already mentioned.

The only other options are to ignore it or consider positive reinforcement; so giving her attention when she has been quiet. But I'm concerned that would be sending her mixed signals in your case because quiet probably means she has found a way to entertain herself. She is young and still developing. She will likely calm down some as she ages (think over the next 6 months or possibly more) but she may always be vocal. She is really not behaving unreasonably or oddly for a cat who came to you so young. She sees you like her mother and her playmate. Cats really should not be away from their mother and siblings till 10-12 weeks for optimal social development. This is one reason I have found it much much easier to have a pair of kittens. They keep each other company and get into much less mischief. They teach each other manners, etc.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How often do you play with her? A young cat has a lot of energy to drain and she could also be bored. How does the boyfriend treat her? Does he feed her? Play with her? Ignore her? If the 2 of you live together they you both are her 'family' and she needs reassurance, comfort, play, attention, equally from both of you. If the boyfriend ignores her because of her meowing it could be contributing to the problem.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When did you last take her to the vet? Could there be something wrong?

Personally I would suggest trying to redirect her when she cries. Normally I would say to play with her, but if you’re leaving you obviously can’t do that, so what about a independent toy or if that doesn’t work a treat toy (the type you have to move and round around to get the treat out of)? Not only should it stop her from crying but it will make her think and that can tire out a cat just as much as physical exertion.

ksdedoof

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How often do you play with her? A young cat has a lot of energy to drain and she could also be bored. How does the boyfriend treat her? Does he feed her? Play with her? Ignore her? If the 2 of you live together they you both are her 'family' and she needs reassurance, comfort, play, attention, equally from both of you. If the boyfriend ignores her because of her meowing it could be contributing to the problem.
I play with her a lot. Probably too much, since now she has what seems like separation anxiety. My boyfriend ignores her for the most part and screams at her when she cries. He’ll pet her and cuddle with her probably a few times a week. I’ve tried to tell him to stop yelling at her because it’s not helping and it’s only making her scared of him even more, but he has no patience.

ksdedoof

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When did you last take her to the vet? Could there be something wrong?

Personally I would suggest trying to redirect her when she cries. Normally I would say to play with her, but if you’re leaving you obviously can’t do that, so what about a independent toy or if that doesn’t work a treat toy (the type you have to move and round around to get the treat out of)? Not only should it stop her from crying but it will make her think and that can tire out a cat just as much as physical exertion.
I took her to the vet a month ago and there’s nothing wrong with her. She has toys and scratchers, but she doesn’t play with them very often, she prefers to sit at the window so I leave the blinds up whenever I leave for her to be entertained.

Janjanbobaney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten meows non stop, it doesn’t bother me as much but it bothers my boyfriend and he wants to get rid of her because of it. I love her and raised her since she was 6 weeks old, she’s now almost 8 months old. My boyfriend found her abandoned with her siblings in a parking lot and took her back home. She seems to cry every time I leave the house or room and whenever I come home. I’ve tried locking her up when she cries, but she doesn’t stop and cries for hours. How do I stop her from crying so much?
I have the same problem. Deep loud yowling and howling and now it’s upsetting the other cat... he gets neutered Monday but I feel it’s somthing else. It’s like he’s yelling MAAAAAMA!!!!! He does it in the basement by the litter but now everywhere. Food and water is good and litter is clean. Help!

Janjanbobaney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our male is doing a deep howl like he is yelling MAAAAAMA! He won’t stop ! He does it by the litter ( which is clean) and now everywhere. Petting helps briefly... food and water are good and his bed is clean. He gets neutered Monday. God I hope that’s all it is. We are so tired in the morning from all the cat screams. Sigh

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I play with her a lot. Probably too much, since now she has what seems like separation anxiety. My boyfriend ignores her for the most part and screams at her when she cries. He’ll pet her and cuddle with her probably a few times a week. I’ve tried to tell him to stop yelling at her because it’s not helping and it’s only making her scared of him even more, but he has no patience.
Separation anxiety is a possibility. Here’s a helpful article for you to check out: Separation Anxiety In Cats

ksdedoof

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our male is doing a deep howl like he is yelling MAAAAAMA! He won’t stop ! He does it by the litter ( which is clean) and now everywhere. Petting helps briefly... food and water are good and his bed is clean. He gets neutered Monday. God I hope that’s all it is. We are so tired in the morning from all the cat screams. Sigh
My family briefly took in a Tom Cat once. He would yowl at night whenever we’re sleeping because he wants out. There was a female cat in heat around, the vet told us that was the issue. Hopefully your baby boy will calm down once he gets neutered.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When you play with her do you play until she becomes tired and lays down? If not, you are not playing right or playing enough. She is young and full of energy and needs that stimulation. If she is satisfied with play she won't be begging for attention all the time.

Also, the boyfriend's attitude is probably making your kitty insecure. He needs to participate in her care. He should feed her exclusively. Him, not you. He also needs to spend time playing with her, or cuddling her, or grooming her. She needs to associate him with good things so she will feel confident around him. He also needs to learn that her behavior is in response to her environment and he is a part of it. He shows her he can be a provider of love, food, and play along with you then she should calm down. Until you both make a change for her she will probably continue crying.

When you are both gone during the day give her interactive toys to keep her busy. Use treat balls to put cat treats or kibble in them. Play with her before you leave for the day.

There are things like I mentioned above that you can do for her to help her. She is not feeling secure or confident in her current environment and until she does she will continue to be needy and meow at you.

ksdedoof

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When you play with her do you play until she becomes tired and lays down? If not, you are not playing right or playing enough. She is young and full of energy and needs that stimulation. If she is satisfied with play she won't be begging for attention all the time.

Also, the boyfriend's attitude is probably making your kitty insecure. He needs to participate in her care. He should feed her exclusively. Him, not you. He also needs to spend time playing with her, or cuddling her, or grooming her. She needs to associate him with good things so she will feel confident around him. He also needs to learn that her behavior is in response to her environment and he is a part of it. He shows her he can be a provider of love, food, and play along with you then she should calm down. Until you both make a change for her she will probably continue crying.

When you are both gone during the day give her interactive toys to keep her busy. Use treat balls to put cat treats or kibble in them. Play with her before you leave for the day.

There are things like I mentioned above that you can do for her to help her. She is not feeling secure or confident in her current environment and until she does she will continue to be needy and meow at you.
I play with her until she’s tired of me and goes away to do her own thing. I can’t change anything about my boyfriend’s behavior, he made it clear that he doesn’t want to have anything to do with her. I’ve been redirecting her to her scratching post sprayed with catnip right before I leave. I’ll put her there and go to another room, she doesn’t follow me immediately anymore, she’ll play for a few minutes then come look for me.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's a shame about your boyfriend. Have you explained to him how important his attitude and how he behaves around her effects her behavior? Might be time for you two to sit down and have a serious discussion about it and try to work out an agreement. If he will do one of tow things for her he may become more interested once he takes a stake in her care. Hopefully she will regain confidence in your loving care. Maybe someday he will learn to appreciate and care for her.

ksdedoof

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's a shame about your boyfriend. Have you explained to him how important his attitude and how he behaves around her effects her behavior? Might be time for you two to sit down and have a serious discussion about it and try to work out an agreement. If he will do one of tow things for her he may become more interested once he takes a stake in her care. Hopefully she will regain confidence in your loving care. Maybe someday he will learn to appreciate and care for her.
I’ve explained to him that he can’t treat her like she’s a dog, cats don’t react the same way, but he doesn’t listen and says that his last cat was a much better cat and way more perfect than she is. Which really hurt my feelings. I’ve already told him to stop bringing up his old cat, and he’s stopped. But I don’t see him changing his attitude towards her until she calms down, but she’s still a baby and I know it’ll be months till she calms down and becomes a nice cuddly older cat.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve explained to him that he can’t treat her like she’s a dog, cats don’t react the same way, but he doesn’t listen and says that his last cat was a much better cat and way more perfect than she is. Which really hurt my feelings. I’ve already told him to stop bringing up his old cat, and he’s stopped. But I don’t see him changing his attitude towards her until she calms down, but she’s still a baby and I know it’ll be months till she calms down and becomes a nice cuddly older cat.
Have you tried asking him to treat her like a human baby? Not normally something I would suggest but at least people don’t yell at and ignore human babies. I don’t know if the two of you have talked about having children of your own but if you have you could tell him to think of this as a test run. Let me just say I’m impressed with your patience with him, I think I would have lost mine quite some time ago.