Kitten Meowing When I Leave (separation Anxiety?)

Matimennah738

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My first post here- hello!

I've a question regarding my new kitten. I'm unsure of her age but I assume 6-7 weeks based on her size & the fact she eats solids well. I say this because I got her from someone on Craigslist who was about to throw her in the local kill shelter.
She'd been living outside and didn't have much human interaction, though she isn't feral by any means- only skittish.
(Having to litter train her and I'm flea/worm treating her as needed since she wasn't being cared for properly)

Anyway, I've had her only for three days or so, but she seems to really like me a lot. She hisses at other people that try to pet her but not me (which isn't a concern since she's just skittish in her new environment and she's just a baby) so I think she has a sort of recognition for me.

With that said, my kitten meows extremely loudly any time I leave the room. I'm not sure if it's a type of separation anxiety (since she is so little it would not surprise me), but the meowing is so loud and repetitive!

As soon as I come back in, she runs up to me and purrs. The meows only start if I leave... Usually if I want to leave, I pet her until she falls asleep and quietly sneak out of the room.

This is something she will grow out of, right? Or is it hard to say?
And are there better ways for me to keep her less panicked when I leave (for instance, a situation in which I can't make her take a nap)? I have toys and other things in here but she only seems to play when I'm near.

My 3 yr old cat is always in the room with her but they haven't really become friends yet (though my cat is certainly no bully) so I guess that doesn't make her feel less lonely yet in my absence.

Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
She is Beautiful, M Matimennah738 . :wave3: :lovecat2:
How is she doing now? Have you chosen a name for her yet?
I do think she will become more confident, as she grows older.

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She probably thinks your Mommy! Kittens will cry when Momma leaves for a bit. She will probably outgrow her insecurity.

Best of luck! She's a cuttie!

Claire1747

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, how is your kitten doing now? I am in the same exact position with a 2 yo Cat who doesn’t seem to help with the new kittens separation anxiety. I want to help my new kitten become more confident but she cries and cries and cries when left alone (like all night since she’s too small to sleep with us). Just repetitive squaking until you pick her up... anyway, sorry I don’t have advice but I noticed your post was from a year ago so I’m wondering if you had any success with your kitten and how it’s doing now. Thanks :)

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Claire welcome to TCS. This is an old thread. The original poster may not be active here anymore. I would suggest starting your own new thread in this forum. You click the start new thread button at the top of the forum. This would be the best way to get advice.