Kitten Mange?

Cindyozzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 5 week old foster kittens have notoedres mange. My vet said not to use lime/sulfur dips as they are too young. Another vet wants me to use the dip. They are currently on revolution(since Friday 6/23). Does anyone have experience with dipping such young kittens?
Also, is a regular floor cleaning solution enough to sanitize the room they are isolated in? or does it have to be bleach? thank you

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I believe diluted bleach will be better to clean the floors and such with. small portion to water!

Bumping up for more experienced members to chime in!

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I saw elsewhere on TCS that someone used a spray bottle for ringworm instead of dips. I have no idea if that would be useful for mange.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cindyozzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My foster kitten had his first vaccine on Friday(4 days ago). He was fine after, This morning he has a bad limp on his left front paw. Im not sure which foot he got the vaccine. Could this be a very late reaction to the vaccine? I had one kitten in the past that had a reaction to a vaccine but it showed up within hours, so I am not sure if this could be an injury.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have other kittens with him? I have vaccinated a lot of cats/kittens for my rescue and we almost always do the back left leg, or up on the shoulder. I don't think it would take so long to present as a limp. We frequently have kittens that play so hard they "sprain" their foot. They will limp a couple of days, then they are fine. I don't usually worry unless they aren't getting up to eat/drink and use the litter box.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My 5 week old foster kittens have notoedres mange. My vet said not to use lime/sulfur dips as they are too young. Another vet wants me to use the dip. They are currently on revolution(since Friday 6/23). Does anyone have experience with dipping such young kittens?
Also, is a regular floor cleaning solution enough to sanitize the room they are isolated in? or does it have to be bleach? thank you
If you do a google search there is a lot of good information that comes up. Mange is caused by a mite and it has to be treated with an insecticide, or miteacide. Those can be toxic to smaller animals. I believe it has to do with the ratio of the skin verses the mass of the body. A smaller animal has a greater surface area compared to its volume so they can get a much greater does of the toxin. Waiting until they are bigger helps to prevent them from getting an overdose of insecticide. There might be some less toxic mixes that could be used but they may not be as effective. If I was doing this with my group I would probably treat them ALL at the same time just to make sure to get it eliminated. By the way, I did treat a dog we used to have along with her puppies when they were old enough. She got the mange from the boy she visited. Mange and puppies all in one visit.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I agree that it sounds like a soft tissue injury from playing, not from the vaccine.

A cortisone shot would take care of the injury. I've dealt with this before! :)