Kitten Lunging At Dog & Biting And Scratching

LokiLo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently got a new kitten about two weeks ago he is now 8 weeks old. He's settled in nicely to the home and is very loving at times but very hyper at times like a normal kitten would be. He is my first cat ever so I'm still learning things. I kept him isolated for about 4 days before introducing him to my dog and at first he kept his distance and hissed. Now that the dog is used to him she seems scared by him and he will lunge at her as if he's trying to scare her or assert his dominance and my dog hides behind me when he does this. He also wants to play with her tail which freaks my dog out and every time he does it I feel she might snap at him. Is there anything I can do about this to get the kitten to stop? My dog seems to be trying so hard to get along and my kitten doesn't seem to be trying at all.

On top of that he attacks my feet and hands - especially when I'm in bed trying to sleep. I've tried ignoring him but it hurts too bad for me to lay there and do nothing. I tell him Ow and then say no before putting him on the floor but it's only a few minutes later that he comes right back to me and does it again until he gets bored and stops.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellocomputer:Welcome to TCS!
That sounds like normal built-up kitten energy. Getting a second playmate would be best, esp if he is a "bottle baby". This is why the recommended age for adoption/separation from litter is 12 weeks(mom and siblings teach manners and social skills). In cat rescue, though, life doesn't work out that way.
So, another kitten or not, you will need to ratchet up play sessions both on frequency and intensity, to burn off the excess energy. It is actually a good thing that he obviously has trust and confidence because that is an easier fix than for a scaredy-cat.
When he causes pain, try a loud pained noise, between a squeal, a sqawk, and a growl, which in cat dialect means "too rough!!!" (unlike an "ow"! which means, to them, "score!" :lol: ). For correction, such as approaching the dog, I recommend trying the "TSCH!" sound, which is also used as a correction in horses. I would try putting the dog on a leash, although inside the house, and practice the basic commands with her in front of the kitten, who, of course, will be fascinated. This gives your dog a chance to regain her confidence without her assuming dominance over the kitten (as a pack animal, if she sees her status elevating over the kitten, she is more likely to harm him) while giving you some good opportunities to use correction sounds on the kitten (who can't resist the temptation to interfere) so he learns proper kitty manners. I would give them both a treat simulaneously each time one of them earns it, to encourage them seeing the other as a teammate/pal. They will soon learn to love each other.
Please keep us posted!:wave3:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

LokiLo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got him from a woman I work with and at the time I didn't know that 12 weeks was the best age to take them away from their mother. She had wanted to get rid of them sooner than later because she already had a few cats and they were unexpected. I've had him since 6 1/2 weeks. I'm not sure I could get him another playmate - if I did would it be best to get another kitten or a younger adult cat?
My dog is often to fixated watching the kitten because she's scared he's going to attack her to do basic commands, I can try it but I'm not sure she would listen with the cat in the room.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go with a younger adult cat/teen but a littermate should work, too. As for the doggy sessions, I would give the kitten his workout first. If he likes treats, I would give him some tricks to learn first - for instance, if you have a barstool or chair, put it in the middle of the room and teach him "up". Then he can graduate to "give me your paw" or "tailwhips". After that, or before, you can aim for "stay". Remember: kittens learn by mirroring, so he may pick up "stay", "shake", and "rollover", especially if you use handcues plus vocal commands.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everything said above. I would add that when the kitten starts to stalk the dog's tail I would toss a jingly ball in another direction. Then when the kitten chases it, walk after them and give the ball a light tap/kick to get it rolling back. Your kitten will soon learn to love playing soccer with you. Your kitten doesn't like soccer? Distract him with other toys. Don't forget a toy like this one that you can drag behind you like a tail. That way your kitten still gets to hunt a tail ;) Petlinks Plume Crazy Wand Cat Toy

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[QUOTE="danteshuman, post: 4346044, . Don't forget a toy like this one that you can drag behind you like a tail. That way your kitten still gets to hunt a tail ;) Petlinks Plume Crazy Wand Cat Toy[/QUOTE]
WoW! Thanks for the link - and the toy is on sale ~~ wooHoo! My kitters will love it and the thick fur ribbon should be safer than the usual cords.