Kitten Litter Box

jen54

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone I have a 6 month kitten whom I have been trying to litter box train for a while. I've tried different kinds of litter and boxes. He just won't use it. He tends to do his business all over the house and hides after doing that. He does not do his business on the carpet only on tile spots where it is dark. He has also been scratching the couch sides. Is there anything I can use so he could stop scratching everything? Thank you very much for your help!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
First thing would be a vet check, if he hasn't had one, to make sure he doesn't have worms or something else going on. Then I would start by confining him to a single room, like a bathroom with a couple of litterboxes. Since he is going on tile, he may prefer a softer litter, like SWheat, but I would try a few you haven't tried before or even see if he will go on a puppy pad in a litter box. I would not give him run of the house until he is trained.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen54

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried regular clay litter?
I have tried regular clay litter. I have decided to use puppy training pads and he seems to use them. Slowly will try to switch to a litter box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen54

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First thing would be a vet check, if he hasn't had one, to make sure he doesn't have worms or something else going on. Then I would start by confining him to a single room, like a bathroom with a couple of litterboxes. Since he is going on tile, he may prefer a softer litter, like SWheat, but I would try a few you haven't tried before or even see if he will go on a puppy pad in a litter box. I would not give him run of the house until he is trained.
He has had a vet check and is healthy. I have tried puppy pads and he is using them instead of his litter box. I will slowly switch him to a litter box. Thank You to both you!