Kitten limping...calicivirus?

brennok

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have recently started to foster for one of the local rescues. This is my second set of kittens. I had two sets of kittens this time. One set of 4 who were probably about 5 weeks but eating on their own. They were also on the upper end of URI's. The other litter is 3 who are about 6-7 weeks and eating very well and purring and quite sociable. They were kept in seperate rooms at other ends of the house.

I ended up taking the 4 back today since two went downhill overnight and with work I have no way of keeping an eye on them. One of them started limping and became a little lethargic last night. This morning while he and his brother usually greet me, I look in the carrier to see him shaking and still sleeping. I bring him out and dose them with meds I was given the night before. I fed him with a syringe even though he normally eats on his own, and when I put him on the floor he would limp two steps then lay down. In the end I take all 4 back so they can keep on eye on them since one is extremely congested and to take the one to the vet.

Now tonight I go in to freshen the water and put wet food down for the other three, one of them is limping. At first I hoped I was paranoid, but nope she is not really using her front left leg. I felt the leg and put minor pressure on it and moved it with no reaction from the cat. I am concerned whatever the other litter had I may have passed to these now. From reading it almost sounds like calicivirus, but I don't know.

I feel bad calling the rescue to ask because I fear I may just be overreacting. I wonder maybe if she just hurt it jumping from the roof of the cat condo which is two levels. Now of course I am trying to think if I have seen her eat at all. I know the other two have since I saw them eat while I was in there. Also I leave the food in there so they can eat as necessary so she could have eaten while I was out. I figure I will syringe feed her water and food tonight to make sure. I checked her gums with the rest and they are all a pink color. Anything else I should do?

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you should feel bad about calling the shelter. They need to know i the kittens have anything. I wouldn't hesitate about calling a vet, either.

Best wishes... I'm keeping your babies in my thoughts!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feel bad calling the rescue to ask because I fear I may just be overreacting. I wonder maybe if she just hurt it jumping from the roof of the cat condo which is two levels. Now of course I am trying to think if I have seen her eat at all. I know the other two have since I saw them eat while I was in there. Also I leave the food in there so they can eat as necessary so she could have eaten while I was out. I figure I will syringe feed her water and food tonight to make sure. I checked her gums with the rest and they are all a pink color. Anything else I should do?
Call the rescue and explain your concerns. Perhaps they will want you to take the kitten to the vet...perhaps they will want it returned to them...perhaps they will want you to observe it for a while to see if it continues to limp.

Katie

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The way you describe the kitten holding their food, but it not being painful to touch sounds a lot like calicivirus. i would call the rescue with your concerns. You may want to separate that kitten from the others and keep watch to make sure they keep eating and drinking (they'll often go off their food). Is they don't eat you may have to start force feeding them. Try meat baby food (no onion) and a syringe. You can also try a couple of drops of baby motrin for the pain (and calici causes a lot of pain), and then about 20 minutes after the motrin try offering the kitten some food.

Just what i learned from my rescue and my experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brennok

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renny

The way you describe the kitten holding their food, but it not being painful to touch sounds a lot like calicivirus. i would call the rescue with your concerns. You may want to separate that kitten from the others and keep watch to make sure they keep eating and drinking (they'll often go off their food). Is they don't eat you may have to start force feeding them. Try meat baby food (no onion) and a syringe. You can also try a couple of drops of baby motrin for the pain (and calici causes a lot of pain), and then about 20 minutes after the motrin try offering the kitten some food.

Just what i learned from my rescue and my experience.
I picked up some motrin, but wanted to make sure I have the right kind before I give it tonight. It is the Concentrated Motrin Infant Drops for ages 6 months-23 months, orignal berry flavor. Unfortunately the local CVS had a tiny selection so flavor was not an option. If that is wrong I can try another store tonight on the way home from work.

And of course everywhere I read online says not to give Motrin to cats since it contains Ibuprofen.

brennok

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have held off on giving any motrin for now since I don't want to risk it.

I was happy to see when I went in the bedroom tonight and found the calico eating dry food and I did see her lap up a little water. All three are limping now, but it seemed to help them when I let them wander the house a little tonight while I fixed them fresh food. They showed more activity. I did see all three eat tonight, but still only one of them eats wet food. The rest are eating dry, but at least they are eating. Is there a picture guide anywhere for gum color or anything else to look for dehydration?. I am still concerned she is dehydrated though.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you pinch up the skin behind the scruff of their neck (sort of between their shoulder blades), when you release it it should drop down immediately. If it is slow in doing so (so kind of remains tented up) then the kitty is dehydrated.

brennok

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renny

If you pinch up the skin behind the scruff of their neck (sort of between their shoulder blades), when you release it it should drop down immediately. If it is slow in doing so (so kind of remains tented up) then the kitty is dehydrated.
Yeah it seems to be doing it a little slow. I have been giving her KMR and water a couple of times a day whenever I go play with them. I try to give at least 3-6 cc of KMR or a mixture of both. I would guess she is about 6-7 weeks based off of pictures on the forum. I don't want to over do it so is there a good guide of how much to syringe feed her based off weight? She is eating on her own which I usually stay in the room with them until they each eat and drink some. I just wish I would see her drink more. The limping seems to have declined so hopefully it is a good sign.