Kitten licking spay site

nwengel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, my kitty was spayed today. I picked her up and apart from sleeping on the ride home, she seems pretty perky for just having had surgery. However, she is licking her incision (she’s a heavy groomer anyway).

I made her a onesie out of a sock but I am scared to put it on her as she is being squirmy and I don’t want to hurt her.

Is it ok to pick her up and handle her to put on the onesie?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nwengel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your replies. One more thing…she is very playful and not subdued at all by the surgery. Should I confine her to one room for a few days? She has cat steps to the bed but keeps jumping up and down and is clearly frustrated that I won’t do anything besides gentle playing.

Also, she’s been playing with her water bowl. She was very thirsty when she got home but has almost upended it three times. I watched her do it the third time…it looks like she was just playing. But I was wondering if she was thirsty or frustrated or what. It is fresh filtered water.

Sorry I’m so needy, I just want things to be perfect for Phoebe.

Thanks again!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We are all the same with our cats. Try to stop her jumping if possible, hard task I know. You could try confining her to one room but keep an eye on her, she might not be happy about it. She will want to sleep at some time but until then just watch her and do what you can to stop her leaping around. Did they glue or stitch the wound, there are usually desolvable internal stitches as well.

nwengel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are all the same with our cats. Try to stop her jumping if possible, hard task I know. You could try confining her to one room but keep an eye on her, she might not be happy about it. She will want to sleep at some time but until then just watch her and do what you can to stop her leaping around. Did they glue or stitch the wound, there are usually desolvable internal stitches as well.
They said there were no sutures so it must be glue? I don’t know and didn’t think to ask. Is one preferable?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she had stitches you would be able to see them and they are easier for the cats to pull out. Can you post a photo?.

nwengel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she had stitches you would be able to see them and they are easier for the cats to pull out. Can you post a photo?.
Here’s a blurry shot of yesterday:
76C36364-FAEC-489B-A03F-0B51D6909EF1.jpeg

And the best one I could get today:
8A00E055-E28C-4C59-8B40-2C10FA859E5F.jpeg

I think it is looking better, but just because it’s not as red. I (obviously) have no experience with incisions. I did have my previous cat spayed but she just rested afterward, so I had none of these worries.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't see any stitches so the vet must have used glue. It looks fine, just keep an eye on it for redness, weeping or a bad smell. If you have any doubts you can always attach a photo to an email/text to your vet. Keep us updated.

nwengel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't see any stitches so the vet must have used glue. It looks fine, just keep an eye on it for redness, weeping or a bad smell. If you have any doubts you can always attach a photo to an email/text to your vet. Keep us updated.
Thank you so much for taking the time to look. I will keep you updated!

nwengel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Phoebe is being great about not licking; the problem now is she keeps wanting to play. She can get pretty energetic running, jumping, and pouncing and is frustrated with my gentle play.

I am worried about her incision, I am posting today’s picture if anyone could take a look? I know I am probably over worrying, my apologies! I will also send the photo to the vet and see what they think.

FC5FE527-50E9-40DF-838F-4F9B06C6B3D9.jpeg

And here’s the tiny patient:
B6EA944E-2FFE-4674-8BD0-9E6C26624C85.jpeg

KrazeeVTmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Phoebe is being great about not licking; the problem now is she keeps wanting to play. She can get pretty energetic running, jumping, and pouncing and is frustrated with my gentle play.

I am worried about her incision, I am posting today’s picture if anyone could take a look? I know I am probably over worrying, my apologies! I will also send the photo to the vet and see what they think.

View attachment 393597
And here’s the tiny patient:
View attachment 393598
I think it looks great. Do you think it looks a little open on one end? It may be worth checking out for that aspect, and that is likely from licking (if you feel that way about it). If it is slightly open they may reglue or may just say to watch it. Cats heal quite quickly. Without being able to touch it and see it in person, that is the best I can say. Otherwise it looks healthy and pink not bright red, at least from my view here. I have had both ends of the spectrum after spaying here as far as the attitude, with many cats (rescue, spay/neuter, rehome). Some really cant be held back, such is the nature of the beast. Personally, if they gave pain meds I may hold them back because if they have some pain they will not do the things that hurt if that makes sense. Obviously if it causes great stress then resume, but pain is our friend and tells us our limits. The first day they can be groggy but not always, and often not so sore due to what they use during surgery and probably a post surgery dose of meds. Thats just an assumption of course. All you can do is the best you can do. Not all little ones like to follow the rules, looks like you have a naughty one 😉 They are the most fun (and challenging haha!) Good luck!

nwengel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it looks great. Do you think it looks a little open on one end? It may be worth checking out for that aspect, and that is likely from licking (if you feel that way about it). If it is slightly open they may reglue or may just say to watch it. Cats heal quite quickly. Without being able to touch it and see it in person, that is the best I can say. Otherwise it looks healthy and pink not bright red, at least from my view here. I have had both ends of the spectrum after spaying here as far as the attitude, with many cats (rescue, spay/neuter, rehome). Some really cant be held back, such is the nature of the beast. Personally, if they gave pain meds I may hold them back because if they have some pain they will not do the things that hurt if that makes sense. Obviously if it causes great stress then resume, but pain is our friend and tells us our limits. The first day they can be groggy but not always, and often not so sore due to what they use during surgery and probably a post surgery dose of meds. Thats just an assumption of course. All you can do is the best you can do. Not all little ones like to follow the rules, looks like you have a naughty one 😉 They are the most fun (and challenging haha!) Good luck!
Thank you for your reassuring response! Yes, I was worried about it looking a little open towards the bottom. It is interesting what you said about pain meds…she has had two days of meloxicam and is prescribed a third.

I will observe her the best I can and make decisions accordingly. I’m so happy to have found this resource…thanks again!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks fine to me also, clean and healing well. I don't think the bottom of the incision looks much different from the original photo although as said above, it does look as if it isn't as closed as the rest. That could be because it's the point of entry of the operation. She should have internal desolvable stitches so it should be fine. Keep watching her as you are doing, your doing a good job. Impossible to keep them quiet which is so frustrating. She is so cute, that last photo is adorable.