Kitten Leg Stump Help

Heathogo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I just picked up a new foster kitten last night, he is 3 weeks old and he is missing both of his back feet - it appears from a birth defect. Since he is missing both, he does use both stumps to walk and as a result of this he has irritated/calloused spots on each leg. I'm wondering if anyone has ideas or suggestions for some type of padded kitten "sock" that I could buy or make (I can knit, crochet, and sew) that will help prevent his skin from being irritated.
He has already been to the vet and salve is being ordered to help heal/protect. Just looking for additional protection!
Thanks! Here is a picture of Steve (he is also very sick, but so far improving)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Heathogo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You know, I kind of think callouses are the best protection he can have. What do other people say?

Margret
I can see that, I think I used the term calloused preemptively - I think the skin is on it's way to getting calloused, but right now I feel bad for him because it's mostly irritated and almost like a big scab on each stump. They bled a tiny bit when the doc was taking a close look. Fortunately he wont be walking around outdoors anymore so that should help but I'm still hoping to give a bit more protection :)

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some vitamin E oil should help it to heal, and it's safe to use topically that way. Just get vitamin E gel caps at any pharmacy and use a small sharp knife to make a hole so you can squeeze out the oil. You'll want to massage it in fairly well if the kitten will allow you to - it's thick and rather sticky.

For temporary protection I believe I'd use small to medium sized thick gauze pads held on with 1 inch Tender Tape (or whatever brand you like - that's the store brand at my grocery store - I'm talking about that tape that sticks to itself, not to skin or fur), and to protect the bandage I'd try some baby socks, held on the same way, with tender tape. The tape doesn't even need to touch fur, just wrap it around the gauze/sock above the wound, tight enough to secure the bandage and sock, but not tight enough to endanger circulation.

Margret

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, Steve is a real cutie! I personally have no experience in such an issue but I would agree that Vit. E oil would be soothing. A thin coat of coconut oil on top of the Vit E would probably add additional soothing action; coconut oil is also antibacterial, antiviral and nontoxic for cats. I used coconut oil for a semi-feral whose wounds would not respond to 3 different prescription ointments from the vet.
Human caregivers might have some good suggestions for what padding to use - I am sure that you would want a material that is soft, cushiony but breatheable.
Please keep us updated on Steve and what treatments and therapies do/do not work. Your experience will provide valuable knowledge for the rest of us.
Prayers & vibes for little Steve and his journey to health. Maybe we will someday read his story in LoveMeow on Facebook!

Heathogo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My email didn't notify me of any new replies, sorry for my delay in response! So I was mistaken when I described his stumps as calloused - there was no redness or irritation so they didn't look very fresh to me. Once he was with me for a few days and no longer walking around on rough ground outside, his sores developed into thick scabs and seemed very sensitive to the touch. My boss (veterinarian) ordered us some "Snout Soother" from Natural Dog Company which contains various oils and vitamin E, so I started using that. The soother in combination with his first real bath (finally, since he had gained an incredible amount of weight and URI had cleared up) helped the scabs fall off and now it is just slightly red, healing skin. He is actively moving around the room - I was finally able to put him with my foster momma and her 4 babies - but every now and then he seems very tentative about stepping with his stumps. So I'm still looking into some sort of padding/protection I can try for him.
Other than that, he is really thriving! Just have to figure out what litter to try for him.... I found some natural grass litter on chewy.com that was described as very soft, but its clumping. Worth trying?

Heathogo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was under the impression that cat's skin doesn't callous in the same way that human skin does. So he could potentially need stump protection all his life or am I wrong about that?
I am honestly not sure about that! It sounds pretty plausible, I'm going to make a mental note about that to ask my boss. I'm trying to do as much research as I can about the stump protection. I've had other foster kittens that were missing just one foot, but there was no concerns there because usually they just dont use that leg. But Steve doesn't have that option so I'm not sure.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Steve is such a cutie! Despite his painful challenges, he is thriving with the ultimate in care: a loving cat-guardian who relentlessly provides the best of care; a loving mama kitty who nurses him; siblings to play with; access to veterinary care. I wonder if there are amputee veterans who would like to add their advice for Steve - they do share "stump care" in common. Thank you for the update!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if Musher's Secret or another dog paw pad wax would help. It's supposed to toughen up their paws while also protecting them against irritation. Might be worth a try.