Kitten Leaving Poop Stains...

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was going to bed and noticed that my 12 week old kitten left yet another tiny poop stain on my white comforter. Gross and making me want to lock her out of the bedroom so I can sleep without being grossed out. As far as I know, she doesn’t have diarrhea anymore and her stool returned to normal the last few days too. Is this a common thing with kittens?

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd say it's not uncommon, at least until they get better at grooming. It sounds like she may have somewhat soft poop still that may be worsening the problem. Could you put an easily washable throw or blanket over your comforter until the problem resolves?

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, it sounds like she scoots on your sheets because she is bothered by something. Does she still have worms? I see you opened another thread about deworming. All the cats I've had, when they have soft poop that still sticks to they butt, they (understandably) don't want to lick --ew-- it all off. So they scoot and then they groom. Your cat might be doing it on your bed because it's less painful than to scoot on your floor or on a rug lol.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry this makes you grossed out but please don't lock her out of your bedroom. Sometimes poop sticks to their bottom so it's not unusual. Ardina Ardina gave you good advice. :thumbsup: In fact, I keep a flat sheet on top of our comforter because I have allergies and can easily wash it. You can also buy a duvet cover to fit over your comforter. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I see nobody answered. How old is she?
Edit: didn't see the age in your post. She's very young
She is :) I have to remind myself that she's just a baby at 12 weeks...

I'd say it's not uncommon, at least until they get better at grooming. It sounds like she may have somewhat soft poop still that may be worsening the problem. Could you put an easily washable throw or blanket over your comforter until the problem resolves?
I can - thanks for the tip. Sometimes it's the most obvious solution that I easily gloss over when I'm frustrated :p I've taken to washing my blankets and sheets more since I brought her home (which is now about two weeks!), and I actually put a bath towel down on top of my mattress bedsheet where she (typically) sleeps next to me. Just need to use another throw or something instead.

I'm sorry this makes you grossed out but please don't lock her out of your bedroom. Sometimes poop sticks to their bottom so it's not unusual. Ardina Ardina gave you good advice. :thumbsup: In fact, I keep a flat sheet on top of our comforter because I have allergies and can easily wash it. You can also buy a duvet cover to fit over your comforter. Good luck!
Thank you! It breaks my heart to her some of her meows sometimes. I've been noticing more and more that when I am home, she just wants to be near me in general... that or she really wants to check out the kitchen countertops (I put her up there once and now she's probably spoiled / wants to check it out again).

Raevyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a dirty bum kitten too lol he doesn't leave poop stains but when we first brought him smelled like poop. Straight poop. We noticed his bum was dirty so we just made it a point to help him wipe when we noticed. He's a baby so he's not the greatest at cleaning himself. Just check his bum and give him a wipe if he needs it. Locking him out if the room will just make him scratch the carpet outside the door and sit there crying to get in. Cats don't like closed doors

Last edited:

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks all.
Do you recommend any specific wipes for cats?

Raevyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Burts Bees makes some aswell but it's a small pack and over priced. I have some because I was at the store, like one of those tj Maxx kind of places and they were discounted so you might find them there a bit cheaper. Baby wipes have alcohol in them tho so get ones without alcohol if you can

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks all. I went with some wipes I bought from a pet supply store and would wipe her bum before I hit the hay. It doesn't seem to bother her *too* much each night. :p

trouble77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this is an old thread, but I have the same problem with our new kittens (I think the 2 males are the poor bottom lickers). Did this resolve itself for your kitty? Thanks!