Kitten Keeps Running Away?! Help?

Eira F

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, my little kitten, Loki (he's four months old and a Domestic Shorthair) keeps escaping. I adopted him the last week, and although his escapes are not as frequent, he is always on the run. Whenever he noticed a window is open, he'll go out. He squirms away from the fences in our yard. Unfortunately there are many stray dogs venturing outside my house, and I'm worried Loki might get himself killed. Please help, I love him alot ❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Eira F

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, I have no idea if he is neutered, but I noticed his ear is a bit snipped off, so maybe he is.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
If your kitten is a male, it should be easy to tell whether he's been neutered by gently feeling his scrotum to see whether his testicles are there - you'd feel a "lump" on each side.

Can you secure your windows with netting or trellises to prevent him from escaping when they're open?

Eira F

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hm, that can be hard. What about the doors, when they're open? I've read about the water spray technique, is that a good thing to do?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of windows with no screens. How do you prevent mosquitos and wild animals from coming in? Maybe you could put some kind of screen or netting over them. If a cat sees an open window, he is gonna go out. With doors, you may be able to train him. I don't spray my cats with water, I use a bicycle type horn. They hate that thing and when I honk it, they know it's serious and to get back or stop doing whatever they are doing.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hm, that can be hard. What about the doors, when they're open? I've read about the water spray technique, is that a good thing to do?
The water spray technique isn't ideal: 5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat as cats don't respond well to negative reinforcement, positive is better, for example, every time you open the door and Loki doesn't try to escape, give him a treat.

Eira F

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of windows with no screens. How do you prevent mosquitos and wild animals from coming in? Maybe you could put some kind of screen or netting over them. If a cat sees an open window, he is gonna go out. With doors, you may be able to train him. I don't spray my cats with water, I use a bicycle type horn. They hate that thing and when I honk it, they know it's serious and to get back or stop doing whatever they are doing.
All the houses here have grills, heh. There are no wild animals here that can get in with a small window, and the mosquitoes go away w the repellent.. I'll try to persuade my parents in getting some screens xD Thank you btw❤

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think he'll be too big to fit through the grill when he's full-grown? If so, that at least means that you only have to do something temporary to keep him in. If the grills are big enough for a grown cat to get through, you'll have to do something more permanent.

I agree that you can't expect a cat to not go out if the windows are wide open!

You should take him to the vet for his shots and de-worming, and the vet can tell you if he's neutered or not, and make an appointment to have it done if he isn't. You won't want to keep him inside if he isn't neutered :/.

bluebirdy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a kitten that was an escape artist as well. In the end I gave up as he tends to stay beside the house and when I whistle comes straight back to me, but we live far away from any roads etc. When we move I'll be fighting the battle again as it will be to an urban area and he will strictly be inside with a small catio. We presently have a new problem with being in a rural area. He and his sister bring in at least 2 voles per day alive and I have to catch them (or take them away before the kitties can hurt them) and rerelease them into the wild.

There were a couple things that worked for us until he was about 8 months old or so. I leash trained him for going on adventures. We used a velcro enclosure harness and walked him 1-2 times a day for aout 30 minutes apiece. He still loves the harness for going for longer walks. The only issue that concerned me was that he loves to climb trees and could easily go 20-30ft up and I had nightmares of the harness or leash (since I had to let it go) getting stuck on the way down but it never happened.

The other thing was to give him tons of play with interactive toys. As he is a kitten his energy and need for play is huge. My son and I provided 3 play sessions of about 15 minutes a piece throughout the day and then followed with a small meal. He really enjoyed running, pouncing and jumping for the wand with long string toys.

Eira F

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you think he'll be too big to fit through the grill when he's full-grown? If so, that at least means that you only have to do something temporary to keep him in. If the grills are big enough for a grown cat to get through, you'll have to do something more permanent.

I agree that you can't expect a cat to not go out if the windows are wide open!

You should take him to the vet for his shots and de-worming, and the vet can tell you if he's neutered or not, and make an appointment to have it done if he isn't. You won't want to keep him inside if he isn't neutered :/.
My bad, the grills are way too big :(
Yes, we'll be making a vet visit soon.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
The door escapes can be prevented with a Scat Mat. It's a clear mat that runs off a 9 volt battery or an adapter. It gives a very mild shock when stepped on. It's certainly not enough to hurt, but it startles. It took our guys about two or three times to get the idea and now we can leave the door wide open and they'll just look out. Be careful, though, because if you step on it with bare feet you'll get the same buzz.

Could you get some latticework-type fencing or trellis to put over the grilles? That wouldn't look so bad and would deter him. It could even be painted a decorative color. It should be pretty inexpensive, too. Try Lowe's or Home Depot if you have them.

Personally, I'm fine with the squirting water. We've used it for over 50 years and never damaged a cat's psyche or its body. I don't approve of drowning, but a quick spritz does just fine. It gets to where all I have to say is, "Do I have to get Dr. Doom to get you?" and the problem ceases.

Good luck with your new baby. I know he's going to bring you lots of happiness.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I trained my guys to not dash outside with squirt bottles and gentle foot nudges when they were kittens. After a while they stopped trying. A temporary fix may be to staple gun thick netting or a wire mesh or even chicken wire over your windows. Lastly when I was training my cats to use the backyard I never once corrected them for returning on their own .... quite the opposite I praised them and gave them treats for returning (and I corrected them for escaping by catching them gently, then carrying them inside and ending that days play time.) So if your kitten gets out again remember to praise/cuddle him for returning so he learns to not run away from you/hide from you. Since you live in a predator heavy place, I hope you will find a way to keep him inside :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, he hasnt learned as yet your home is his home and his territory. Both becuase he hadnt learned yet to love you - he is too new, and being a kitten he hasnt yet the sense of territory. So its one of the reasons never let out a young kitten on its own - its so easy it runs after a fly, and its done - it dont know where to return...

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you seal off one room then keep your kitten in it until you can secure the entire house?