Kitten Just Spayed And Hyper?

Ellabella1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My baby gracie (5/6 month rescue cat) is back to her normal self after less than 5 hours. She has eaten and drunk plenty of water and has been trying to play and run and has been jumping on/off my bed. She is in my bedroom away from the dog - all other rooms have more furniture than this one. She doesn’t seem to be bothered with her wound (internal stitches), not licking it at all, only licking her back end and rest of body.

1. Is this normal in kittens and should I be allowing her to be playful?

2. She managed to get her cone off. Should i be putting her cone on when she’s alone? The vet advised me to keep it on 24/7 but she absolutely hates it.

3. I am worried she will get the cone off when I am out. What risks are associated with this?

Thankyou in advance - from Australia :)

The more I ignore her the more playful she is getting!

Last edited by a moderator:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gracie is a cutie! :heartshape: :dizzycat:

What did the vet advise about activity during the first week or so after her spay?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This was Rocket about 24 hours after her spay...
View media item 420581
Some cats recover quicker than others from the medications. Kittens tend to recover fairly quickly in general. It was a major surgery so you don't want to encourage playing but with Rocket I just tried to limit jumping. I did not give Rocket the pain medication because I was worried if she was numb she'd injure herself without noticing it.

As to the cone, of course you should follow vet instructions. However.... I have rarely kept a cone on my animals unless they are really fixated on the wound. My logic has always been that if they are stressed they will heal slower. I however am cognitive that they can cause harm because they don't really understand what happened. As such, I keep a very close eye on them and the wound. I also am prepared to take them to the nearest vet, even an emergency vet if it is after hours, should the wound show the slightest problem. It's one of those things where you have to make the call and if you are wrong be prepared to handle the problems that can happen without a cone.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes the anesthesia and medications can have that affect on them and make them hyper after surgery. It happened with Luna. You should still try to keep her calm and don't let her climb and jump around too much.

sdkfjlasdf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My baby gracie (5/6 month rescue cat) is back to her normal self after less than 5 hours. She has eaten and drunk plenty of water and has been trying to play and run and has been jumping on/off my bed. She is in my bedroom away from the dog - all other rooms have more furniture than this one. She doesn’t seem to be bothered with her wound (internal stitches), not licking it at all, only licking her back end and rest of body.

1. Is this normal in kittens and should I be allowing her to be playful?

2. She managed to get her cone off. Should i be putting her cone on when she’s alone? The vet advised me to keep it on 24/7 but she absolutely hates it.

3. I am worried she will get the cone off when I am out. What risks are associated with this?

Thankyou in advance - from Australia :)

The more I ignore her the more playful she is getting!
My cat did all of these things. She even licked her wound, jumped and flopped on her floor and you could even hear her stomach hit the floor which was a very ouch moment but she didn't seem to care. Its been 2 months and she's fine.

She was an early spay (2/3mo) so maybe she healed faster. But I don't think it's a problem for 5/6 month old kitten to do what they want. Just keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't do extreme things like stretch too much or jump from anything higher than your hips

sdkfjlasdf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add... even if you take extreme precaution and she doesn't do anything, there will always be the chance of an infection or a wound opening. Like what has been mentioned by other users, make sure you call the vet in case of an emergency. Otherwise all is fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ellabella1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankyou for all your responses! As a first time cat owner is is great to have so much advice!

She is still quite happy and doesn’t seem bothered by her wound this morning. Much to her disgust as I was putting it on I placed a sock around her abdomen last night, suggested by a friend to use instead of the collar. She is not phased by it at all (see photo-she was purring as I took it) but I will remove it when I am with her to see how she is going and if there are any signs of discomfort.

The vet didn’t advise much, instead we got given a piece of paper which said in short to keep exercise minimal, make sure she wears her cone and that some cats won’t eat/drink for 12hrs or so after surgery. They did not give her any medications to take home which I was unsure about but trust the vets judgment as Gracie seems absolutely fine.

I will still keep an eye on her and make sure her incision appears to be healing with this sock and if not I will swap it back for the cone. I just don’t want to cause her the distress of to cone leading her to ripping it off when I am not home .

Attachments

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aww, she looks cute in her sock. Some cats tolerate cones better than others. Some just hate them and are miserable and hide as long as the cone is on. As well, some cats are pickers and won’t leave stitches/incisions alone, others couldn’t care less. You just have to go with your particular situation, which is exactly what you are doing. I think Gracie will do fine. :)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope she continues to recover well. My little boy came home after his neuter and was bouncing off the walls! I guess that was his body's reaction to the anesthesia. He finally crashed, hard, after a couple of hours and then was his normal, not quite so frenzied self.

JulesB86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Same thing happened for me. Firstly we could not get the cone back on her after it came off, looked up multiple YouTube videos on how to improvise but nothing worked so we left her. She didn't touch her wound at all thank God and healed really well. She was also super hyper the evening of getting spayed. Think that's just the norm! :)