Kitten just Keeps Climbing!!

juriesempai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello again! I am here to talk about my kittens climbing habits. :'D During the day she's not so bad anymore but before she used to get up on my dresser and knock things over, or she'd climb up on my headboard and walk across the air conditioner to get to my work desk. She doesn't climb on my dresser anymore but lately she's gotten really naughty with climbing on the desk and now she's big enough she doesn't even need my desk chair or the air conditioner! She just jumps and climbs! I figured for every 'no' there should be a 'yes'. So since I couldn't prevent her from climbing I decided to give her an appropriate place to climb-- A cat condo. She likes it and all, but she'll only use it if I put her on top of it. At night she could care less about the cat condo and instead tries to jump on my desk again! Is there any advice anyone can give on how to get my cat to stop climbing where she shouldn't? :'3

Thank you in advance.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Sometimes spraying the condo with catnip attracka cats to use them. Also, playing with her on and around the cat tree using wand type toys can help.

What does your condo look like? Is it tall enough for her? Enough spaces for her to jump, climb and play on?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juriesempai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I sprayed it with catnip last night after I built it! I play with her around the tree cause it's the only time she uses it.  The cat condo is this one http://www.thecatsite.com/products/armarkat-cat-tree-model-a5201

She's still a 3 1/2 month old kitten so this should be tall enough I would think? It was the best one I could find for the cheapest price. It's the tallest thing in my room O:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Is your kitten able to access the condo and perches? I ask because we had purchased 2 of these trees for our rescue and ended up donating them because our youngest kittens could really use them. Gave one to a family with older kittens that could use it ok.

It can take time for some cats to use their trees. I personally haven't had that issue; but, a few members here have. So, give it a few days or so.

Also, your kitten is likely still a little too young to appreciate catnip. That typically comes with maturity.

juriesempai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh yes she reaches the perches just fine. She's an excellent climber  :'D  she uses the scratching posts and scales her way up the tower.  Also, she seems to like her catnip toys more than other toys and they make her quite hyper but as for her being attracted to it, I don't think so at the moment. I'll update this thread next week to let you know if she's more adjusted to having a cat condo by then. ^^ Thank you for the advice.

juriesempai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: She's sleeping in the little cubby in her cat condo and she's stopped climbing on my desk now that I've cleaned it. (even though i figured I'd put a box on my desk for her to sleep in just in case she did end up climbing there. ) Got the best night sleep since getting a cat!