Kitten is trying to bury her food?

peachesxo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten does this really strange thing that I've never seen a cat do before...

When she is done eating she stands over her dish and starts pawing at the ground towards it like she does when she is in the litterbox and makes all the litterbox-like burying motions, as though she is attempting to dig non-existant stuff up to bury her food with. She does this every time with wet food but have seen her do it with dry as well, and she always does it once she is finished the meal, so either when it is all gone or there is just a little piece left. She will paw at the carpet all around it/towards it, and if there is a shoe, sock, or blanket near by she will make sure to throw that on top of the dish as well whilst "burying"...

Why is she doing this? lol

(Sidenote: she has never "gone" anywhere but her box, which makes the behavior seem even more random to me!)

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very common behaviour, I have kittens do it from 4 weeks old, once they're finished they try to bury it, like cats in the wild supposedly do to save food for later. 

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, just think of it as a way of saying "This is mine and I'm coming back to it later."  Some cats do it.  Others don't.  Just wait... They may start "drowning" their toys in their water dishes, too.  That's funny!

rosti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep mine do it all the time. They are barn cats and so of course they shovel hay all over it.

mscatamaran

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my newest adoptee does that. He's two and was a stray and lived in a feral cat colony.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Until you step on a cold, soaking wet furry mouse in the middle of the night on a trip to the bathroom.
LOL!!!  I thought I was the only one that happened to!   My Cricket also 'buries' his water.  While he drinks, he uses one paw to continually scratch the floor.  He has sometimes gotten so carried away that he overturns the water bowl!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peachesxo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ahh. Thanks for the replies, had no idea it was so common with cats. I know dogs save food for later but didn't think cats did. Good to know lol

lollipop2281

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm fostering kittens for the first time and one in particular does this. Makes quite a mess but it's adorable

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always thought they were scent marking around the food, like ‘this leftover food is alllllllll mine!’ I like the food burying theory.

My 8 month teen kitty still does this. I have had cats do it all their life.