Kitten Is Splashing Water Everywhere

nalaragdoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have never seen her behave like this and I'm utterly confused. She is just splashing the water in her water bowl. She doesn't drink it, the water gets everywhere. It's like she plays with it, then she licks her paws after. She is almost 8 months old. I have no idea why she is acting like this, it's so weird. I could really use some advice.

Catlover579

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat used to do that when he was a kitten. He loves playing with water. He would also tip the bowl over with his mouth and spill all the water on the floor! My solution was getting him a bigger water bowl. I noticed he used to also drink water from the dog's big bowl so i got him a stainless steel dog water bowl :crackup:it's not a huge bowl but bigger than a typical cat bowl so i guess a medium dog bowl? He actually drinks from that now.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My neighbor had a problem with a cat spilling the water bowl so she got one of those bowls the size of a small swimming pool and realized he was using it as such and was proceeding to flood the kitchen on a daily basis.
He got over it. He started doing it, did it for a few days, then decided it was boring.
Some cats do like water and don't mind being wet. Is she fascinated by running water in sinks, drippy faucets, etc? If you have her attention, set an empty water bowl down, then pour water into it, what does she do?

Lklittle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats are far-sighted. Kitty could be making the water move to see it. My cats play with the water. So I just leave their water bowl in the shower tub. If it spills, I just refill it. They also have access to a water fountain but they have to traverse the house to get there. The two dogs are there and the cats get annoyed by a curious sniff.

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both my kittens do this. It's so much FUN to splash. Also, I think one of the cats is trying to play with himself in the water's reflection.
I put their water in the kitchen where the splashing won't hurt anything. For an extra treat I let the water in the bathtub cover half of the floor (as they are usually slanted) and throw a long long ball in there. My boys go crazy playing in it!