Kitten is so obsessed with older cat it’s making introductions hard

Faebee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I’ve lurked for a while but new to actually posting. We have two cats, Oatmeal (4 yo calico female) and Beanie Baby (6 month old female). Both spayed. Oatmeal has been clinically diagnosed with “Calico” by her vet because after we brought Beanie Baby home, the second she smelled her through the door she went on a hunger strike. Very dramatic girl but overall sweetie. We’ve had Beanie Baby since she was 9 weeks old and did slow introductions over 2 months and are in a space where they can be around each other supervised, but the older cat still isn’t the biggest fan.

Beanie Baby is however is obsessed. Like, she HEARS Oatmeal move and she runs to go watch her. She will follow her around and watch her pee or drink water or just sleep.

0569B63D-613F-4FCC-A65A-58350D1E4C67.jpeg

We call it the “Elmo stare”. Just…follows her around and wants to be close. Recently Oatmeal has definitely opened up to her more. For a while she wasn’t letting her get anywhere close. But they can sit like picture above and as long as Beanie Baby doesn’t try to touch her, she’s fine. Maybe will hiss or a light swat if she wants her to leave.

The problem is, everytime Oatmeal let’s down a barrier, Bean tries to push it. She really wants to cuddle and rub against her but that just gets her a swat or hiss. If she keeps trying then a small growl.

Im worried that it could escalate later on down the road. Some behaviors are confusing (they won’t each next to each other but they will watch each other eat at the others bowls? Like, sit back 2-3 feet and just watch.) and others feel like good signs (they do sniff noses every morning when we open the screen door separating them when we can’t supervise. Sometimes Oatmeal will give a small hiss, others she will just walk away). They also play together and are figuring it out since both were separated very early from their litters and don’t really know how to play with other cats. There is some light hissing/vocalization from Oatmeal, but she will also initiate play and “tap back in” whenever they both had a breather.

Overall we think Beanie Baby has been a good addition because it’s made Oatmeal more active and playful, but I’m just worried we’re not seeing signs that could make it all go south. We don’t really have great space to do separate room isolation again (rail road/shot gun style apartment with one AC unit).

Besides the hunger strike in week 1, there really hasn’t been any other things with Oatmeal. She uses the bathroom regularly (loves there are three litter boxes now), eats and drinks well ect. She’s overall playful, does look a bit down sometimes, so we’ve been giving her extra love and attention. She also gets everything first (first fed, first treat ect ect..)

I guess I mostly need help understanding if we’re on the right path because there are plenty of guides of what to look for when cats end up taking to each other but harder to find stuff when they’re tolerating each other and how to keep it from getting. They’re both extremely food motivated which has been so helpful.

28464418-C2EC-41EC-B070-214049939D51.jpeg

xkappax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Seems like you're on the right track to me. I've had several situations where I had to introduce cats to one another. All of them worked out but one. In the situations that did work out, the cats eventually figured it out, they developed a sort of hierarchy, and they were able to co-exist.

In the situation that did not work out, it was blatantly obvious after six months that it was not going to work out. The kitten we adopted was pushy and terrorizing the older cat to the point where he was afraid to use the litter box. That doesn't seem to be happening with your cats. As long as your cats are eating and drinking normally and using the bathroom... it's probably fine. In that picture you posted, they seem to be spending time together, and that's a good sign. Sometimes the best you get with cats is them tolerating each other and coexisting.

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! I’ve lurked for a while but new to actually posting. We have two cats, Oatmeal (4 yo calico female) and Beanie Baby (6 month old female). Both spayed. Oatmeal has been clinically diagnosed with “Calico” by her vet because after we brought Beanie Baby home, the second she smelled her through the door she went on a hunger strike. Very dramatic girl but overall sweetie. We’ve had Beanie Baby since she was 9 weeks old and did slow introductions over 2 months and are in a space where they can be around each other supervised, but the older cat still isn’t the biggest fan.

Beanie Baby is however is obsessed. Like, she HEARS Oatmeal move and she runs to go watch her. She will follow her around and watch her pee or drink water or just sleep.

View attachment 431469
We call it the “Elmo stare”. Just…follows her around and wants to be close. Recently Oatmeal has definitely opened up to her more. For a while she wasn’t letting her get anywhere close. But they can sit like picture above and as long as Beanie Baby doesn’t try to touch her, she’s fine. Maybe will hiss or a light swat if she wants her to leave.

The problem is, everytime Oatmeal let’s down a barrier, Bean tries to push it. She really wants to cuddle and rub against her but that just gets her a swat or hiss. If she keeps trying then a small growl.

Im worried that it could escalate later on down the road. Some behaviors are confusing (they won’t each next to each other but they will watch each other eat at the others bowls? Like, sit back 2-3 feet and just watch.) and others feel like good signs (they do sniff noses every morning when we open the screen door separating them when we can’t supervise. Sometimes Oatmeal will give a small hiss, others she will just walk away). They also play together and are figuring it out since both were separated very early from their litters and don’t really know how to play with other cats. There is some light hissing/vocalization from Oatmeal, but she will also initiate play and “tap back in” whenever they both had a breather.

Overall we think Beanie Baby has been a good addition because it’s made Oatmeal more active and playful, but I’m just worried we’re not seeing signs that could make it all go south. We don’t really have great space to do separate room isolation again (rail road/shot gun style apartment with one AC unit).

Besides the hunger strike in week 1, there really hasn’t been any other things with Oatmeal. She uses the bathroom regularly (loves there are three litter boxes now), eats and drinks well ect. She’s overall playful, does look a bit down sometimes, so we’ve been giving her extra love and attention. She also gets everything first (first fed, first treat ect ect..)

I guess I mostly need help understanding if we’re on the right path because there are plenty of guides of what to look for when cats end up taking to each other but harder to find stuff when they’re tolerating each other and how to keep it from getting. They’re both extremely food motivated which has been so helpful.

View attachment 431471
Were you able to do a proper slow introduction, so not allowing the cats to see each other at all for a few days while they got used to each other's smell?

Watch out for the age of social maturity. Social maturity is reached when the cat is between 2 & 4 years old. When my dad and my brother brought their kittens home 2 months after I got my boy, we didn't do a proper slow introduction. We were fooled into thinking that since they appeared to be getting along fine now, they would remain on good terms with each other as they grew up, but we were wrong.

It can be difficult to tell with cats, but if I would have paid closer attention then, I think I would have noticed little indicators of animosity building between my kitten and my dad's and my brother's 2 kittens. Boaz was the only kitten for 2 months and even 2 months solitary was long enough to do lasting damage. He would not take "no" for an answer when Asher or Posie reprimanded him with hisses, growls, screams, swats, or escaping to let him know when they'd had enough of his rough play.

Asher & Posie had a privilege that my cat did not have. They were able to grow up with a group of kittens for their first 3-4 months of life and during that time, they grew used to learning how to respect each other's boundaries. All Boaz had ever known was being the 'king of his own little kingdom'.

If 2 cats are respecting each other's boundaries, then usually all it will take is an occasional hiss, growl, swat, etc. for them to back off and not be pushy again. If the pushy cat is in the other cat's face again and again despite being disciplined by the other cat multiple times, the offending cat is not getting the message and the human will need to step in to prevent a pileup of bad feelings between the cats. The human should then make more effort to play with the cat with its toys or keep it separated from the other cat for a while until he calms down.

You might want to consider getting another kitten for Beanie to play with, a male this time and close to her age.

Whether another kitten is an option or not, it might also be worth increasing the amount of time you spend playing with each cat with their toys. Another good outlet for especially Beanie's energy is taking her on leashed walks outside or letting her hang out in a roofed cat enclosure where she can safely enjoy the outdoors and give Oatmeal a break.

Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Faebee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Were you able to do a proper slow introduction, so not allowing the cats to see each other at all for a few days while they got used to each other's smell?

Watch out for the age of social maturity. Social maturity is reached when the cat is between 2 & 4 years old. When my dad and my brother brought their kittens home 2 months after I got my boy, we didn't do a proper slow introduction. We were fooled into thinking that since they appeared to be getting along fine now, they would remain on good terms with each other as they grew up, but we were wrong.

It can be difficult to tell with cats, but if I would have paid closer attention then, I think I would have noticed little indicators of animosity building between my kitten and my dad's and my brother's 2 kittens. Boaz was the only kitten for 2 months and even 2 months solitary was long enough to do lasting damage. He would not take "no" for an answer when Asher or Posie reprimanded him with hisses, growls, screams, swats, or escaping to let him know when they'd had enough of his rough play.

Asher & Posie had a privilege that my cat did not have. They were able to grow up with a group of kittens for their first 3-4 months of life and during that time, they grew used to learning how to respect each other's boundaries. All Boaz had ever known was being the 'king of his own little kingdom'.

If 2 cats are respecting each other's boundaries, then usually all it will take is an occasional hiss, growl, swat, etc. for them to back off and not be pushy again. If the pushy cat is in the other cat's face again and again despite being disciplined by the other cat multiple times, the offending cat is not getting the message and the human will need to step in to prevent a pileup of bad feelings between the cats. The human should then make more effort to play with the cat with its toys or keep it separated from the other cat for a while until he calms down.

You might want to consider getting another kitten for Beanie to play with, a male this time and close to her age.

Whether another kitten is an option or not, it might also be worth increasing the amount of time you spend playing with each cat with their toys. Another good outlet for especially Beanie's energy is taking her on leashed walks outside or letting her hang out in a roofed cat enclosure where she can safely enjoy the outdoors and give Oatmeal a break.

Keep us posted!
Thank you for the reply!!

We did about 2 weeks of no visual contact (older cat ended up seeing her once by accident) and did scent swapping until the older cat stopped outright hissing and growling at her scent. We tried doing the feedings next to each other but they’ve never been interested in eating next to each other, just taking turns watching each other at different spots in the apartment.Then moved onto the baby gate with a blanket and pulling it up until the baby learned how to clear the gate in a single jump And now we have a screen door with a curtain to give them privacy from each other if things get too intense.

What are some signs that you, looking back on, might of missed if you remember? That’s what I was worried about too haha. Beanie Baby has definitely gotten better at listening to Oatmeal, though she still sometimes instigates or gets too excited and that gets her a hiss and a slap to which she’ll usually stop.

Will definitely try out the leash and enclosed rooftop hangout! It’s funny because she was actually suppose to be a boy but oops turns out she was a lady instead. I’m not sure if another kitten is in our cards right now since our apartment is big enough for 2 cats but not 3, though we are looking for a bigger place and have talked about a third adoption in the future.

We do try to distract her whenever she’s getting to rambunctious or when the older cat wants to play fetch so she doesn’t chase after her during it haha.
Thank you so much for the advise!!!

Faebee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Seems like you're on the right track to me. I've had several situations where I had to introduce cats to one another. All of them worked out but one. In the situations that did work out, the cats eventually figured it out, they developed a sort of hierarchy, and they were able to co-exist.

In the situation that did not work out, it was blatantly obvious after six months that it was not going to work out. The kitten we adopted was pushy and terrorizing the older cat to the point where he was afraid to use the litter box. That doesn't seem to be happening with your cats. As long as your cats are eating and drinking normally and using the bathroom... it's probably fine. In that picture you posted, they seem to be spending time together, and that's a good sign. Sometimes the best you get with cats is them tolerating each other and coexisting.
That does make me feel a bit better haha. The kitten does like to watch the older cat use the litter box but it hasn’t been a issue yet except for once when she tried to use it at the same time as her.

Tolerating and coexisting is our goal but won’t lie, every time they’re that close together phones are immediately out, we love seeing the distance between them slowly close over the months

Maybe in another 6 months I might get a grooming picture hahah!

xkappax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tolerating and coexisting is our goal but won’t lie, every time they’re that close together phones are immediately out, we love seeing the distance between them slowly close over the months

Maybe in another 6 months I might get a grooming picture hahah!
Well, I'll be honest... after about a year of "tolerance and coexisting", I caught my two previous cats sleeping together on the bed and holding hands. So never give up hope! ^_^

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like its going decently. I don't think you have to worry about it going south particularly. Its not impossible, especially once the kitten gets closer to a year, but it doesn't seem to be a particularly common thing. So just keep giving them time together and hopefully the kitten will get a little more chill about it.

Some people will probably tell you to get another kitten. And that does work for some. To me it seems like too much of a gamble unless you actually want another kitten. I mean, you get another hyper kitten and who knows if they actually bug the older cat less. Could even be more, if you get 60% as much attention from both of them.

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reply!!

We did about 2 weeks of no visual contact (older cat ended up seeing her once by accident) and did scent swapping until the older cat stopped outright hissing and growling at her scent. We tried doing the feedings next to each other but they’ve never been interested in eating next to each other, just taking turns watching each other at different spots in the apartment.Then moved onto the baby gate with a blanket and pulling it up until the baby learned how to clear the gate in a single jump And now we have a screen door with a curtain to give them privacy from each other if things get too intense.

What are some signs that you, looking back on, might of missed if you remember? That’s what I was worried about too haha. Beanie Baby has definitely gotten better at listening to Oatmeal, though she still sometimes instigates or gets too excited and that gets her a hiss and a slap to which she’ll usually stop.

Will definitely try out the leash and enclosed rooftop hangout! It’s funny because she was actually suppose to be a boy but oops turns out she was a lady instead. I’m not sure if another kitten is in our cards right now since our apartment is big enough for 2 cats but not 3, though we are looking for a bigger place and have talked about a third adoption in the future.

We do try to distract her whenever she’s getting to rambunctious or when the older cat wants to play fetch so she doesn’t chase after her during it haha.
Thank you so much for the advise!!!
Yeah, most cats will go over the baby gate no problem. I don't have anything taller than a baby gate, so I just make sure that I only open the door with the baby gate in front of it when I'm there to stop the cats from jumping over the gate.

Probably the most notable sign that something was going wrong between my cat and my Dad's and my brother's cats was that Boaz picked on the other cats multiple times a day. We'd think all was well because Asher or Posie would smack him, hiss, growl, or scream, and he would back off...for a little while. Then he would get after them again and again. As time went on, it eventually became clear that he had no respect for their boundaries at all. I should have stepped in sooner and played with Boaz with his toys more and done more activities with him outside so he had another outlet for his energy besides our other cats.

Faebee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I'll be honest... after about a year of "tolerance and coexisting", I caught my two previous cats sleeping together on the bed and holding hands. So never give up hope! ^_^
We caught Oatmeal recently sniffing Beanie Baby who was asleep and l
Yeah, most cats will go over the baby gate no problem. I don't have anything taller than a baby gate, so I just make sure that I only open the door with the baby gate in front of it when I'm there to stop the cats from jumping over the gate.

Probably the most notable sign that something was going wrong between my cat and my Dad's and my brother's cats was that Boaz picked on the other cats multiple times a day. We'd think all was well because Asher or Posie would smack him, hiss, growl, or scream, and he would back off...for a little while. Then he would get after them again and again. As time went on, it eventually became clear that he had no respect for their boundaries at all. I should have stepped in sooner and played with Boaz with his toys more and done more activities with him outside so he had another outlet for his energy besides our other cats.
I’ll definitely keep an eye on that particular thing - I wouldn’t say Beanie does it ALOT but she does tend to follow Oatmeal around and does try to engage in play if she sees her walking around and not laying down. If she’s laying down she tends to try and lay down as close as Oatie will let her. I’m going to up her play sessions just incase.

And yea, the baby gate lasted for maybe 5 days lol. We also tried a Velcro mesh door and she would just run and kick it until a corner popped up then wiggle her way under. She doesn’t use her braincells often but when she does she’s pretty crafty

Faebee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can’t figure out how to edit text posts and realized I didn’t finish writing my reply:
I love catching Oatmeal actually caring about Beanie Baby. Once found her sniffing her like crazy when she was asleep but the second she saw I was watching, pretended she hadn’t been doing a single thing. It’s just taking her some time to really get use to her which is fine. She’s also my baby angel so she can take what time she needs ❤