Kitten Introduction

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, first time poster and cat parent. About a week ago we adopted a 3 month old Maine coon ragdoll mix. We then adopted a 3 month old DSH yesterday. The introduction didn't go as planned since the DSH (Rogue) was able to run out of the room before we closed the door and met Penny in the living room.

Penny hissed and growled but didn't act aggressive at all. Still, I put Rogue back in the room and he spent the night there. He is eating and using the litter box and doing well. We have done site swapping as well since they already saw each other. Penny doesn't react to Rogues scent at all. She is eating normally and is doing well too.

Well when I got home this afternoon from work Rogue got out of the room again. Penny was in her cat tree and just looked at him without making a sound. So we kept out and then he climbed her cat tree and she hissed, growled, and swiped at him. He went down to the floor. Penny is still in her tree and is sleeping. My question is, after reading here and Jackson Galaxy I know we botched the introduction process. I am terrified of having them fight and never get along, should we keep him separated still or see how things play out?

Again, I just want them to tolerate each other, playing together would be great but I know I can't expect that. I feel like I am failing this introduction any advice would be appreciated.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please dont worry at all! All introduction guides should include the following disclaimer: NOT NECESSARY FOR KITTENS. TWO KITTENS WILL BECOME FRIENDS WHATEVER YOU DO.

Now sometimes it can take up to a week or so for them to work through whatever distrust they may have, but they will. Separation for a few days in a safe room is still a good idea. Helps the new kitten adapt to the humans faster, and sets that room as their safe space, so they run to hide under the bed, rather than behind an appliance or in your walls. But in the overwhelming % of cases, just plopping the second kitten into the house along with the first will go just fine. Your two are off to a normal and fine start and at this point I'd just let them be to work things out on their own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, no, please dont worry at all! All introduction guides should include the following disclaimer: NOT NECESSARY FOR KITTENS. TWO KITTENS WILL BECOME FRIENDS WHATEVER YOU DO.

Now sometimes it can take up to a week or so for them to work through whatever distrust they may have, but they will. Separation for a few days in a safe room is still a good idea. Helps the new kitten adapt to the humans faster, and sets that room as their safe space, so they run to hide under the bed, rather than behind an appliance or in your walls. But in the overwhelming % of cases, just plopping the second kitten into the house along with the first will go just fine. Your two are off to a normal and fine start and at this point I'd just let them be to work things out on their own.
I appreciate the feedback. They have been out together for a few hours now. When Penny is in her cat tree she will watch Rogue but no vocalizations just the end of her tail flicking. When they are on the ground together Penny hisses, growls, and has lunged for Rogue once or twice but she doesn't chase him.

One thing I have noticed is that Rogue freezes when Penny hisses and doesn't move. We checked his paws today and we did not find any claws on her, just tiny claws that you cannot feel at all. He can't really climb so I worry about his confidence.

I think things are going OK overall, I'm just new and worried lol. Thanks again for the information.

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rogue will do okay. Just give him a few months to grow some and even the score!
Will do. I grew up with dogs and never had much experience with cats. I'm an animal lover in general but always thought cats were standoffish and not affectionate. Little did I know it was because I never lived with one! This has been the best. I just worry about providing them a good home and them being happy.

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The big girl on the tree is Penny and the little guy with white feet is Rogue (I think, he had a twin in his litter and I'm not sure if this is Roger or Rogue lol).

Attachments

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never even knew medium hair cats were a thing until my 7th cat. I don't need to specifically brush my medium hair cat, she doesn't get mats, but I think I read that sometimes its needed with some of them.

Go buy a swiffer :)

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had Rogue sleep in his room last night. When we brought him out Penny hissed and growled again. They ate in the same room though, Penny on her cat tree and Rogue on the floor about 15 feet away. Any time Rogue gets somewhat close to Penny she hisses, growls, and swats at him. No fur flying or anything. She also jumped up on the couch to swat at him. I nudged her off the couch with my foot.

Hopefully Penny relaxes soon and accepts Rogue. Rogue is such a little guy and he is super sweet. Penny is I would guess 2.5 times Rogues size even though they are 6 days apart age wise. She doesnt chase Rogue and their interactions dont seem to be violent, but it is disconcerting for me and my family to see Rogue scared with his tail between his legs and not moving when Penny is hissing and growling at him.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can take up to a week or so sometimes, counting from when they are allowed together. Usually not that long, kittens are just so adaptable. If you allow them together, it will go faster.

2.5x size difference, you might have some concerns once they start playing. Thats very normal as well. That big a difference, the smaller one is often going to squeal/hiss and run away mid play session. As long as she stops acting afraid at all times, that isn't a problem. By coming back out in a few minutes and acting like nothing happened, that tells you that all is well. You'll get to this stage soonish.

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It can take up to a week or so sometimes, counting from when they are allowed together. Usually not that long, kittens are just so adaptable. If you allow them together, it will go faster.

2.5x size difference, you might have some concerns once they start playing. Thats very normal as well. That big a difference, the smaller one is often going to squeal/hiss and run away mid play session. As long as she stops acting afraid at all times, that isn't a problem. By coming back out in a few minutes and acting like nothing happened, that tells you that all is well. You'll get to this stage soonish.
I have them sleep separately since we cant monitor them at night. But they are together all day, so probably 16 hours a day they are together.

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have them sleep separately since we cant monitor them at night. But they are together all day, so probably 16 hours a day they are together.
My wife is home all day, so they are supervised and well cared for. Rogue, interestingly enough, has developed quite the relationship with our small dog Sam. He rubs against him and gives him head butts. Sam licks Rogue and they play together. Penny tolerates Sam but doesnt play with him.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds good. I don't think it will be much longer. Not sure I've ever heard of kittens this young not becoming friends. A week isn't so unusual, but two weeks would be, so we are talking a couple of days and you'll be worried about the small one getting rough housed.

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds good. I don't think it will be much longer. Not sure I've ever heard of kittens this young not becoming friends. A week isn't so unusual, but two weeks would be, so we are talking a couple of days and you'll be worried about the small one getting rough housed.
I should really start the week at yesterday evening then because thats when they first started to have extended contact with each other. I appreciate your reassurance. This has been more stressful than I planned on!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of it is Penny saying "You don't smell right!" "Get away!" This will subside pretty soon, I think. It's pretty much normal behavior. I wouldn't stress out over it.

My cats all had extremely short and painless introductions, and there was (and still is) occasional hissing.

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is them just a while ago. Penny is sleeping but I have to imagine she knows Rogue is that close to her.

Attachments

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I dont know if you want updates lol but I am excited about having these cats and want to talk about them! Penny seems to be gradually getting used to Rogue. Her hissing and swatting has decreased and is really only present when Rogue is within a few inches of her. Yesterday evening Rogue was sleeping in the hammock of the cat tree and Penny spotted her and headed up there. She sniffed around and then batted at him, but when I spoke with a calm and friendly voice she looked at me and immediately came to me for pets! I thought this was progress.

Penny got a little sick yesterday due to me inadvertently giving her two different foods. I think for her to not feel well and then also to tolerate Rogue is progress. This morning they played in the same vicinity as one another and Penny hissed and growled a bit but much less. I think things are moving in a positive direction. One thing that did happen this morning was Penny was on a table overlooking the litter box in the living room and Rogue ended up defecating on the floor across the room, so I am going to buy another litter box today and set it up so Penny cant guard both. That would make 3 in the house which is what we are supposed to have anyway.

Thank you again for reassuring me that all would be well. I think we are getting there. I will keep updating and hopefully the last update will be one of them snuggled together sleeping!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We like updates! Update away!

Yes, cats can view a litter box as a resource and guard it. The additional box should stop the accidents.

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So this was them right before I got home from work. They slept like that for an hour or so, then Penny realized what was going on and hissed and batted at him 😂 I wish I could have been there but this definitely progress!

Attachments

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your actually pretty lucky that he isn't driving her crazy trying to play. A lot of times they just totally ignore the hissing and keep trying.

Another day or two till friendship perhaps.

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your actually pretty lucky that he isn't driving her crazy trying to play. A lot of times they just totally ignore the hissing and keep trying.

Another day or two till friendship perhaps.
So tonight Penny has been stalking him more and then hissing, growling, and batting at him. Rogue has arched his back in response one time, which is the first time he has really reacted to her. He is also chirruping quite a bit.

Is this Penny being more aggressive to him or just trying to put him in his place so to speak? Her tail is down and her ears were mostly to the side I think. Rogue is also following her around everywhere lol so I am guessing Penny is just getting annoyed by his later presence but want to make sure.