Kitten Introducing? Helppppp Plz!!

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a kitten from street one month ago. He is now 2.5-3 month old. He bottle feed was in a bad condition. I nurse him!!! He is spoiled. He has biting problem so we brought a new kitten as playmate. (We thought he is bored while we are at work) new one is also around 1.5-2 month old. We introduce them as every way possible but they bite eachother a lot. Like fighting (no hissing but sometimes screams) They both male. Small one is little weaker, big one is bites for real. I am scarred that they might hurt eachother. We separe them when they got rough.
The bigger kitten still bites us too. He doesnt know how to play. He has so many toys and stuff but bites our hands and feet :( what should I do? Small kitten is in our house for one week now. He has his own room but he cries inside, he wanna come outside. :( please suggestions newsed!!!

Help needed!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Wrestling, and one or the other screaming is pretty normal kitten behavior. Kittens just play rough, but I do understand the concern if one is bigger than the other. For a few more weeks I would let the little one out when you are there to intervene if you think they are too rough but I wouldn’t worry too much, I don’t think anyone is really going to get hurt.

As far as you being scratched or bitten. I suggest you use a loud firm voice to tell the biting kitten “no” and then pick him up and hold him for a second, just to break up his activity and let him know you are boss.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yes, is either cat actually getting physically injured? i got two kittens last august that the guess was they were about nine weeks at the time. they still wrestle and fight where they scream out, and loud. as for the biting, they used to bite me all the time, i just tapped them on the forehead, and said no, no, no. they ultimately stop. when they fight the actually stand up and box like kangaroos, it gets pretty intense. they are the same size (assuming brothers, they were found together), so that was never a concern.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with both of these posts. Kittens can be very rough when playing. And a loud, firm "NO" or even a good hiss will let the bigger kitten know that he is being too rough. This is not unusual in bottle-reared kittens, as they don't have Mama Cat giving them a hiss and a swat, and teaching them how to "cat."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes, is either cat actually getting physically injured? i got two kittens last august that the guess was they were about nine weeks at the time. they still wrestle and fight where they scream out, and loud. as for the biting, they used to bite me all the time, i just tapped them on the forehead, and said no, no, no. they ultimately stop. when they fight the actually stand up and box like kangaroos, it gets pretty intense. they are the same size (assuming brothers, they were found together), so that was never a concern.
They are not brothers. We found them in street different times. Small one had diarrhea so we didnt introduce them for a week. I took your suggestions but they are biting from the neck. Like one wants to kill another :( what should I do differently to make them get use to eachother. They are also still bite me from hands and feet

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Again, kitten play looks almost identicle to a real fight. The only difference is, if it is play there will be little or no blood. If it is a fight, there will be lots of blood.

If you can get a wand type toy to play with these guys with, that will let you bond with them and tire them out, all without making your hands and feet "prey" for them to hunt. If they aren't available in your area, just get a stick, tie a good string on the end (about 3', or 1 meter), and a catnip toy FIRMLY on the other end of the string. Now pretend that YOU are the mouse, or bird, or whatever you've put on there. And kittens will instinctively know if the toy is acting "right." Birds fly, mice skitter. If you've ever wanted to act, NOW IS YOUR TIME! Make that toy act just like a real whatever it is!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as there is no bloodshed I would let them play and be loud and vocal and rough so that they learn each others boundaries and how to treat each other. If you intervene too much they won't learn and you will end up with frustrated, neurotic cats lol :lol:

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Again, kitten play looks almost identicle to a real fight. The only difference is, if it is play there will be little or no blood. If it is a fight, there will be lots of blood.

If you can get a wand type toy to play with these guys with, that will let you bond with them and tire them out, all without making your hands and feet "prey" for them to hunt. If they aren't available in your area, just get a stick, tie a good string on the end (about 3', or 1 meter), and a catnip toy FIRMLY on the other end of the string. Now pretend that YOU are the mouse, or bird, or whatever you've put on there. And kittens will instinctively know if the toy is acting "right." Birds fly, mice skitter. If you've ever wanted to act, NOW IS YOUR TIME! Make that toy act just like a real whatever it is!
They have string toys I play with them. I also use laser. Even they are playing with toys If they see eachother and suddenly attack eachother. No blood and occassionly screams. But they bite eachother in the face and neck :( I have never see them calm. They have been introduce like a week ago do you think I am rushing everything.
I play almost 2 hours with them every day. They are just calm while sleeping :)) they are like little terror in the house. I cant leave them alone. So scarred it might happen to one. Do you think Should I cut their nails?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Nope. Leave them alone. They are FINE! They are actually pretty normal kittens. Ever watch small kids rough-housing on a playground? It looks like a war has broken out, but apart from occasional accidental injuries, everyone is actually having a great time! Kittens at that age play ALL THE TIME when they are awake. And their "playing" is actually practising to hunt and kill prey. They won't go that far with each other, but if it looks like a battle, that's the reason why. Try to relax and laugh at their antics. They will outgrow this, but it will be several months.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You asked about clipping their claws and absolutely yes you should routinely clip their claws. Get them used to it while they are young as they will need to have them clipped their entire lives.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks, jen jen , I missed that. There are some very good clips on Youtube showing exactly how to clip their claws without taking too much off and hurting them, or you can go to a vet or groomer and have it done.

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all. I will took them to vet for clipping! Thanks again

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really is not hard at all to do it on your own. Or have the vet show you. It is going to get expensive to have the vet do it every couple weeks.

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What do you think about spitting sound? While they play small one always make spitting sound? Is this normal behavouir?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you think about spitting sound? While they play small one always make spitting sound? Is this normal behavouir?
Yes, that spitting sound is absolutely normal, a variation of hissing that many younger kittens have and that they normally outgrow. I have always found it adorable.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should let them rough house with supervision until the youngest kitten is 3-4 months old. They are teaching each other boundaries when they rough house ... important things your bottle baby missed from getting from his mom/siblings. Young kittens like to scream (like little kids.) Take tons of pictures :)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, GOSH YES! Take lots of pictures, and if you have a problem posting them here, let us know! We love kitten pictures, and cat pictures as well!