Kitten Insists On Peeing Outside Litter Box

Yvonne_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have recently moved house and some parts are still under construction/renovation. My 7 month old kitten has temporarily had to adjust to being confined in my room 24/7 as it is far too dangerous to let him out alone when I'm away (this will only last for another 2 weeks at most). He was good the first night or two but has progressively gotten antsy and gets frustrated when I leave the room. He has peed in my bed twice now, in my laundry hamper, on my rug, and on the floor. He still uses his box, just not all the time. He is perfectly healthy as far as I know, and eating fine. He doesn't get much stimulation when I'm away apart from watching birds outside the window, he isn't interested in regular toys. Every time he senses someone outside the door he tries to dig his way out and meows excessively and makes a dash when the door opens. He has also been super keen on his food (finishing it all at once, very quickly), way more than he used to when he would just take small bites and eat gradually. I read on a website that this kind of behaviour is due to boredom and he is trying to get my attention by urinating inappropriately. Is this true? How can I improve this? I'm worried he'll continue this behaviour when he gets free roam of the whole house.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Have you tried a feliway diffuser? There are also calming treats and collars - there's a treat called Composure.
People have had good luck with Nature's Miracle for enzymatic cleaning.
Also, there's a mesh cat tent that's about $35 where you could give him a chance to see something other than your room.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would imagine that part of this is also stress, and the fact that his territory is utterly gone. He's desperately marking everything as "HIS" to comfort himself.

We have a few excellent articles about issues like this. I'm including the links for you. They are not long, and are clear and concise, an easy read!

How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home (this also works for same cat, new home)
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Separation Anxiety In Cats (because he is isolated right now)
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide

I know it looks like a lot, but it really isn't. And all of them have excellent information for you while your kitten adjusts to all of these changes!