Kitten in China. Difficulties finding good food

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta

Okay, I don't have a scale but noticed in her 'booklet' that she weighed 1.55 kg back in early Dec so by now she should be 2.5. Vets here are probably the same. They are not trained in pediatric spaying and the 'risk' I assume is related to the anesthetics. She's in heat right now, but I will book the appointment end of March and hope she's no longer in heat at that time!
yep. i think this is the issue.

"Anesthetic management in the pediatric patient can be safe, provided appropriate attention is paid to a few basic principles and to the unique concerns associated with pediatric patients.

Given that metabolic development is largely complete by 6 weeks of age, the same anesthetic protocols that are used in adults can be safely used in pediatric patients.9,19  However, pediatric patients have lower body fat percentages, a decreased ability to shiver, and a larger surface-area-to-volume ratio. Each of these factors makes attention to the maintenance of body temperature critical. Pediatric patients are also at a greater risk of hypoglycemia. Body temperature and blood glucose concentration can be easily managed, allowing surgical anesthesia with minimal risk"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melvaughn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's good to hear from you again. I was thinking about you only a couple of days ago. Apart from all this worry, how's she doing?
Thanks! She is pretty good. Seems healthy, although she's just beginning her third heat cycle and is currently in heat now. Luckily she's not too vocal and it only seems to last 3-5 days.

I've met some great Chinese locals who are calling the vet for me and translating, otherwise I cannot communicate with the vet at all. But I'm on the verge of getting ready for her spaying, hopefully the end of March if the vet agrees.

I also found a Chinese woman in Shanghai who is going to take care of her for two months (July/Aug) while I'm in Canada and then I will pick her up when I return end of Aug. I don't know this woman so I hope she's okay with a stranger, but I didn't want to leave her at a boarding place for two months and managed to find this woman who answered my ad!

Once in Shanghai, things will be easier...more qualified, English speaking Vets, shelters/boarding places, more 'animal friendly' than where I am now!

melvaughn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

yep. i think this is the issue.

"Anesthetic management in the pediatric patient can be safe, provided appropriate attention is paid to a few basic principles and to the unique concerns associated with pediatric patients.

Given that metabolic development is largely complete by 6 weeks of age, the same anesthetic protocols that are used in adults can be safely used in pediatric patients.9,19  However, pediatric patients have lower body fat percentages, a decreased ability to shiver, and a larger surface-area-to-volume ratio. Each of these factors makes attention to the maintenance of body temperature critical. Pediatric patients are also at a greater risk of hypoglycemia. Body temperature and blood glucose concentration can be easily managed, allowing surgical anesthesia with minimal risk"
this is interesting...yes, the vets here are more concerned with the kittens weight rather than age. 2.5kg is the minimum weight they will spay..But I get the feeling the vet would still prefer the kitten be even bigger (seven or eight months).I'm guessing she's about 2.5 right now so hopefully it's not still risky. I plan to pay extra to leave her there the full day/night.

Last edited:

mimibky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would try mixing them together

Also, canned food is not that great for cats, especially young cats they wont get the nutrition they need. My vet told this when i recently got mimi. Whiskas is not that great either, its more of a treat you know, its kind of like eating McDonalds everyday or something like that. The royal chain should do well if you get her on to it. Dont forget, dry food is best, my vet told me to give my cat as much food as she wants for the first 10 months, so like keep a bowl of dry food and water at all times, then when she turns 10 months old you should start giving her small portions 2 times a day.

Also, dont forget all the vaccines you should get her!

goodluck!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also, canned food is not that great for cats, especially young cats they wont get the nutrition they need. My vet told this when i recently got mimi. .... Dont forget, dry food is best
Most people these days, including my vets, would argue otherwise. Dry food is fine if that's what you've got on hand and your cat tolerates it without issue. One of my cats eats mostly kibble as that works out best for him.
The quality of food varies widely across brands, whether kibble or canned so it's simplistic at best to state that all kibble is better than canned. It's necessary to look at the ingredients of each food.

sphyngalscrazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would try mixing them together
Also, canned food is not that great for cats, especially young cats they wont get the nutrition they need. My vet told this when i recently got mimi. Whiskas is not that great either, its more of a treat you know, its kind of like eating McDonalds everyday or something like that. The royal chain should do well if you get her on to it. Dont forget, dry food is best, my vet told me to give my cat as much food as she wants for the first 10 months, so like keep a bowl of dry food and water at all times, then when she turns 10 months old you should start giving her small portions 2 times a day.

Also, dont forget all the vaccines you should get her!

goodluck!
I remember being told that wet food was also like a McDonald's meal or a big piece of cake. I did some more research and found out its actually better. It has way more moisture that a cat needs in their food as cats do not have a high thirst drive as it isn't natural. A cat on a dry diet may appear to drink lots of water, but it may never be enough. They'll live most of their life dehydrated if only on a dry diet. Some cats can live long lives just on dry, others may have health problems.
It's not bad to feed both dry and wet, at least they will get more moisture, and you can still keep it cost effective with the dry.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! She is pretty good. Seems healthy, although she's just beginning her third heat cycle and is currently in heat now. Luckily she's not too vocal and it only seems to last 3-5 days.

I've met some great Chinese locals who are calling the vet for me and translating,otherwise I cannot communicate with the vet at all. But I'm on the verge of getting ready for her spaying, hopefully the end of March if the vet agrees.

I also found a Chinese woman in Shanghai who is going to take care of her for two months (July/Aug) while I'm in Canada and then I will pick her up when I return end of Aug. I don't know this woman so I hope she's okay with a stranger, but I didn't want to leave her at a boarding place for two months and managed to find this woman who answered my ad!

Once in Shanghai, things will be easier...more qualified, English speaking Vets, shelters/boarding places, more 'animal friendly' than where I am now!
Poor little girl being on heat. You're lucky she's not too vocal. Some cats make a terrible racket.
She's still very small isn't she. But you said once that she's not a big eater right?
It's good you've found and made friends with English speaking Chinese. If it's anything like Japan, not many people do speak English.
Are you not worried about this stranger looking after your furbaby? I would be but then I worry about everything.
Keep writing. I want to know what happens.

mimibky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I remember being told that wet food was also like a McDonald's meal or a big piece of cake. I did some more research and found out its actually better. It has way more moisture that a cat needs in their food as cats do not have a high thirst drive as it isn't natural. A cat on a dry diet may appear to drink lots of water, but it may never be enough. They'll live most of their life dehydrated if only on a dry diet. Some cats can live long lives just on dry, others may have health problems.
It's not bad to feed both dry and wet, at least they will get more moisture, and you can still keep it cost effective with the dry.

Yes i guess you could be right. I mean its just what my vet told me, maybe a little more research should do the job.

melvaughn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor little girl being on heat. You're lucky she's not too vocal. Some cats make a terrible racket.
She's still very small isn't she. But you said once that she's not a big eater right?
It's good you've found and made friends with English speaking Chinese. If it's anything like Japan, not many people do speak English.
Are you not worried about this stranger looking after your furbaby? I would be but then I worry about everything.
Keep writing. I want to know what happens
Ya, I'm a bit worried to leave her with a stranger. Two months is a long time. This woman has never looked after a cat before (but claims to like them but the Chinese do have weird ideas that cats are dirty so you never know... I plan to meet her beforehand at least.  How are cats normally being left for that long? Will she forget me? I think she's pretty attached to me. I don't work full days so I'm with her ALL the time

Most people leave here in the summer so I don't have anyone I know that can take her and I need to get her to someone in Shanghai! My other option is a boarding place with other cats but it's expensive and she may be in a cage a lot so I think a home is better.

Will keep you posted after she's spayed. At least I'm holding off on the rabies shot here!

Last edited:

melvaughn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Appointment's been made for spaying March 27th Finally! Never thought I'd see the day! I just hope she's no longer in heat at that time!  

I notice her heats seem to last only 3 days and it's not ALL day either...maybe for an hour she'll be purring and sticking her butt in the air and then it will pass for five hours, and then she'll return to doing it again. But I haven't noticed she's full-on all day! 

Anyway, hopefully she recovers well! 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How will you get her to shanghai without the rabies shot?
I personally would prefer a boarding place. At least you know know she'll be safe there but it's your call of course.
It's a shame you have to leave her for so long.

melvaughn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'm having second thoughts about the stranger now myself.  It will be quite expensive driving her to Shanghai (need to get a moving company) and this woman say's she will take the cat for free. A boarding place for two months + moving company is quite expensive! Having a foreigner take care of her would be better than a local I believe. You really never know how a stranger could treat her.

As for spaying, the vet wants to keep her THREE days/nights! Is that normal? Seems a bit extreme. I guess it's good because I don't have to worry about any complications considering the language barrier. At least I know she'll be looked after but she might also be lonely and scared in a cage for three nights not knowing where I am. The appointment's in three day's.  Just want it out of the way at this point! But not sure if the Vet is trying to make extra money with the three nights or if that is just the standard here.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'm having second thoughts about the stranger now myself.  It will be quite expensive driving her to Shanghai (need to get a moving company) and this woman say's she will take the cat for free. A boarding place for two months + moving company is quite expensive! Having a foreigner take care of her would be better than a local I believe. You really never know how a stranger could treat her.

As for spaying, the vet wants to keep her THREE days/nights! Is that normal? Seems a bit extreme. I guess it's good because I don't have to worry about any complications considering the language barrier. At least I know she'll be looked after but she might also be lonely and scared in a cage for three nights not knowing where I am. The appointment's in three day's.  Just want it out of the way at this point! But not sure if the Vet is trying to make extra money with the three nights or if that is just the standard here.
I'm not trying to worry you so I should keep quiet but I'm worried about this stranger. If it was me I'd probably splurge and put her in the boarding place but obviously it's your choice. I'm a dreadful pessimist so ignore me.
You can go and visit her at the vet every day or even twice a day can't you? Maybe that is how it's done in China but treat her for fleas after. Unless it's sterile there. The few times I have had to leave a cat at the vet they've always come home with fleas. It's a small surgery so where they keep them has all sorts of cats and dogs in the cages. I don't even check anymore. I automatically put advance on as soon as they get home.
I'm looking forward to hear how the operation goes.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
3 days / nights sounds like a very long time, I would expect 1 at the most here in the UK.  Is there anyone closer to where you are who could give any information?  It might be due to their concern about her size and the anaesthesia risks though so a vet is going to be the best for information here.

I would be worried about leaving my cat with a stranger for any length or time, eveen one or two days but you know all the risks and essential things you have to do and what your choices are - this may be the safest and best thing you have access to.  Very much hope this all works out for you.  

melvaughn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Going to try and shorten her stay to two nights if possible. I think the anethesia is the concern. At least they are being cautious and I suppose it's better to have her there than bring her home and then have something go wrong....but I feel bad for her already that she has to be alone for two/three nights after the surgery.

Good to know about the fleas. I have one bottle of revolution left. The hospitals here aren't even the cleanest places let alone Vet offices but this place is pretty clean thankfully. 

Ya, this stranger has never looked after a cat before, but claims to like them. But the locals here have horrible stories of all their pets dying on them because they don't know how to take care of them properly! It worries me. I  plan to meet this person first but I don't think she'd be looked after the same way I would, so I will still consider the boarding house too. But two months is a long time for either places. Unfortunately everyone I know leaves over the summer so it's either finding a stranger or boarding house.

I'll post how the surgery went after...

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going to try and shorten her stay to two nights if possible. I think the anethesia is the concern. At least they are being cautious and I suppose it's better to have her there than bring her home and then have something go wrong....but I feel bad for her already that she has to be alone for two/three nights after the surgery.

Good to know about the fleas. I have one bottle of revolution left. The hospitals here aren't even the cleanest places let alone Vet offices but this place is pretty clean thankfully. 

Ya, this stranger has never looked after acat before, but claims to like them. But the locals here have horrible stories of all their pets dying on them because they don't know how to take care of them properly! It worries me. I  plan to meet this person first but I don't think she'd be looked after the same way I would, so I will still consider the boarding house too. But two months is a long time for either places. Unfortunately everyone I know leaves over the summer so it's either finding a stranger or boarding house.

I'll post how the surgery went after...
I'm eager to hear how the surgery goes and don't forget you can visit her so she won't feel abandoned.

melvaughn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just dropped her off at the vet. It seems she's going to go a LONG time without eating. I fed her at 11:00 pm last night and the appointment was supposed to be 9:30 am this morning but there was a hold up in the office with so many people so she won't be spayed until 12:00-12:30 now. That's 13 hours without eating right there. I had a translator with me and the vet told my translator that it would be safe for her to eat again tomorrow morning..so that's two nights and a one day without eating. I hope he at least gives her water. Seems like a long time.

There were three other cats in the office in cages and then a family rushed in with a cat that fell from a building! so it was busy in there!  

The vet also say's he spayed 200 cats last year so I assume things will be fine. I'm going to visit her tomorrow and pick her up after two nights. 

And the stitches are self-dissolving so I won't need to return for that at least but he was also saying 'don't be alarmed if after her surgery, she has a rough protrusion on her stomach where the stitches are and that it will fade in a month or so. Not sure what he was going on about there.

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Thinking of you and sending positive thoughts for your little one.  Hope all goes well with the surgery and when you see her next she is comfortable and not distressed from her experiences.  

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's like if we have surgery, where the stitches are it's usually a bit red and rough but heals up. But you'll keep a good eye on it in any case. At least he told you so that you won't worry unduly.
Keep in touch. Sending good and warm thoughts.

melvaughn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went to see her this morning and was not impressed.. She was in a tiny room in a cage with two other cats in the room with her (all in separate cages) She seemed startled to see me and tried to meow and no sound would come out!! As if she's traumatized but she hissed at the other cats a few times. She's not use to seeing other cats. Anyway, there was no food or water in the cats cages. The food I gave the vet was siting in a bag in the corner and didn't look like it had been opened. The sides of her stomach looked a bit gaunt. I could tell she hadn't eaten in a long time. So I fed her (wet and dry) and she ate like crazy so that was probably the first time she ate in two days! It was 10:00 am when I visited. The other two cats were older/plumper but they didn't even have blankets and were sitting on the cold metal cage. Then I had to give her water from my own water bottle! There was no litter anywhere in the room so I went down to ask the vet. The nurse finally brought up some litter and she peed in it for five minutes so she's been holding in her pee too! It's like they are put in a cage and forgotten/neglected. It looked like she wanted to get out of the cage and walk around the room so at least she looks like she has energy still. She definitely wasn't docile. I think she's fine to take home now, but I couldnt communicate it to the vet. I need my translator to go with me tomorrow, late afternoon. That's another night and two days almost! Feel bad I have to leave her like that. I hope the nurses at least let her out to use the toilet!
Anyway, thanks for the support. One more night and she'll be home. I hope she returns to her normal self.