Kitten Hiding, Am I Doing The Right Things?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Midnight1710

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: Pumpkin has started letting my daughter carry her around like a baby, I think it is cute but I also try to get my daughter to not do it too often. Solo has started to stay out more frequently but will still run and hide after a few seconds if my little girls enter the room. With me he stays out and only hides if I have to walk by him. When it is just me and I sit down for play time he comes right out and lays down a few feet away waiting for me to bring out the toy.
I started adding treats into our daily routine. I shake the bag and take out a few, sitting on the ground (like for play time) but I toss a treat towards him and Pumpkin. Yesterday I was able to get him to take a treat from my hand. He is still really skittish about being touched.

Question: Is there a good time to try and pet him? Or is there a sign from him that might let me know he would be a little more amiable to the idea of being petted?

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never dealt with a shy/timid cat, so I can't really advise, other than with the links to articles that I posted on page 1 of this thread.

But taking a treat from your hand is good, so I'd continue trying to "bribe" him with treats. And maybe start saying "Solo, do you want a treat", so he learns the words that go with getting treats, and hopefully someday, when you ask him that, he'll coming running.

Midnight1710

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've never dealt with a shy/timid cat, so I can't really advise, other than with the links to articles that I posted on page 1 of this thread.

But taking a treat from your hand is good, so I'd continue trying to "bribe" him with treats. And maybe start saying "Solo, do you want a treat", so he learns the words that go with getting treats, and hopefully someday, when you ask him that, he'll coming running.
Thank you for all of your help. I think we just have a long and slow road ahead of us

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are very much on the right track with Solo. I have dealt with my own shy timid cats as well as shy timid cats living with one of my friends. Based on my experience wait for the cat to feel comfortable enough to start rubbing on you before trying to pet them. What I have done is to sit on the floor and put my hand out to let the cat sniff me. If the cat rubs up against with it's face then I just keep my hand out to see if the cat wants to pet me first. Once the cat starts petting me then I try petting. Don't be surprised if Solo initially runs away when you try to pet. Just back off and sit on the floor talking to him and tossing treats. It may take a while for the association that petting is safe to form. My timid cat decided that I could pet her head as long as she could see my hand coming. My friend's cat will only let me pet her near her tail. If I try to pet the head of my friend's cat she gets scared and either runs away or nips me.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you're doing perfect is sounds just like how my kitten, who was initially really scared and hidey, slowly came out of her shell. Just keep being patient with him like you are. After a week of being patient and playing with my kitty now she wsnts to cuddle and play all the time and sleeps on my bed. :)

Midnight1710

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are very much on the right track with Solo. I have dealt with my own shy timid cats as well as shy timid cats living with one of my friends. Based on my experience wait for the cat to feel comfortable enough to start rubbing on you before trying to pet them. What I have done is to sit on the floor and put my hand out to let the cat sniff me. If the cat rubs up against with it's face then I just keep my hand out to see if the cat wants to pet me first. Once the cat starts petting me then I try petting. Don't be surprised if Solo initially runs away when you try to pet. Just back off and sit on the floor talking to him and tossing treats. It may take a while for the association that petting is safe to form. My timid cat decided that I could pet her head as long as she could see my hand coming. My friend's cat will only let me pet her near her tail. If I try to pet the head of my friend's cat she gets scared and either runs away or nips me.
That is great advice, thank you. It has been about 3 week and I know it is all on his time schedule and I definitely don't want to rush him, but I would love to be able to feel him curl up on my lap and just pet him as he purrs. He has started to purr really loudly when he is laying down a few feet away, another good sign I think. :-)
I am hopeful that next week he will rub against my hand a little. :-)