Kitten Health Concerns

Huskyluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We adopted Dahlia, a kitten, 13 days ago who has some concerning health problems that I am hoping for some advice about.

First off a little history that we have been told. She was born April 26th (so she's 12 weeks old today) to a 5 lb feral mother who was caught to be TNR'd. She was fostered by someone who kept her with her birth mother until 8 weeks of age, she was fully weaned before she was removed to another foster by herself at 8 weeks.

That foster took her to the vet, at 8 weeks she weighed 1 lb, 1 oz, had a potbelly, tested positive for roundworms, coccidia, and tapeworms, had fleas and conjunctivitis in her left eye. Vet gave capstar, flea bath, 1/2 a Drontal, 2 take-home 0.2 cc doses of Strongid, and Albon.

Again at 9 weeks the 2nd foster took for to the vet and she weighed 1 lb, 4 oz. Still potbellied but less so, reportedly straining to defecate, eyes less watery. Given Strongid and tested negative for FIV and FeLV.

At 10 weeks the 2nd foster took her in again for ear discharge & irritation. She weighed 1 lb, 6 oz. Still potbellied, given a 4/9 body score. Tested positive for cocci and yeast in ears, brown discharge removed and given Tresaderm to be applied 4 drops in both ears twice per day for 10 days.

We adopted her at 10 weeks while she was on the Tersaderm and finished off the remaining days of the Tresaderm per the vets instructions.

The day after we brought her home at 10 weeks her energy level dropped. We could hear that she was wheezing a bit but this was never reported to us prior to adopting her. 2 days after bringing her home she was clearly struggling to breathe, one of her eyes remained half closed and she was very lethargic, we feared for her life and rushed her to the vet with a fecal sample. She weighed 1 lb, 9 oz, tested positive for roundworms, still potbellied and with dark brown discharge in her ear. Vet said she had a severe upper respiratory infection and gave her a subcutaneous injection of Naxcel 0.5 ml plus gave me Clavamox to administer 0.5 ml twice daily. I received Terramycin to apply to affected eye up to 4 times daily "until resolution". I was also given cans of wet Science Diet Urgent Care a/d to help with her being underweight. Dahlia also received 1/2 a Drontal tab with instructions to return for another dose in 3 weeks. She suspects Dahlia has the herpes virus and that it caused the URI.

The very next day Dahlia's activity level returned to normal but she still had trouble breathing.

Less than a week later I brought her back to the vet at 11 weeks due to my concern over her breathing not improving at all. I informed the vet that she did develop diarrhea which we both suspected was due to the antibiotics. She weighed 1 lb, 10 oz and received another 0.5 ml subcutaneous injection of Naxcel and I was instructed to continue the Clavamox until completion and continue giving the Terramycin. They also gave me more cans of the Science Diet a/d since she liked it and was eating it well at home (I mix it with kitten kibble at home). I was instructed to bring her back in for a re-check once she finished the Clavamox.

That brings us to today. She's had Clavamox for 10 days with absolutely no improvement in her breathing. However she does have a good appetite and her energy level has greatly improved. In the last week, while on the Clavamox, I have also been mixing in some vitamins (feline Missing Link), probiotics and l-lysine into her food to help her out. My husband doesn't think the Clavamox is doing anything and suggested I stop after 10 days. I did stop the Clavamox after day 10 and the bottle is almost empty so I suspect there was only maybe a day left anyway. I am hoping the soft stool will improve before I take her back into the vet tomorrow. I weighed her yesterday and she was 1 lb, 12 oz.

My concerns though are that her breathing has not improved at all and not only does she still keep her one eye closed more than the other but her third eyelid started showing in that eye a bit for the last 2 days. The third eyelid is less visible since it started though.

I read online that URI's can take 20 days to resolve themselves so I'm wondering if maybe anyone thinks perhaps the breathing thing will take that long to resolve or if maybe it sounds like it could be something else and I need to ask the vet to expand her search criteria so to speak? My husband and I are also both concerned about her eye still not being normal after so long. Yesterday I skipped the morning dose of Terramycin since her eye was fully open and third eyelid was hardly visibly but by evening she has back to her eye being half open. I am so frustrated with the lack of progress or answers. I wanted to see if I could get some feedback here before we go back to the vet tomorrow. I just really don't want to put her on more medication especially if it is 'normal' for a cat with herpes and/or a URI to display these symptoms for this long.

ANYTHING would be helpful to me right now...even if only some words of encouragement.

I'll try to add some pictures of the poor girl too.
20180716_125139.jpg
20180713_063613.jpg
20180714_155739.jpg

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dahlia is beautiful, as is your other cat. What’s her name? Don’t you love the places cats get into?

So I think the eye is probably herpesvirus. My Little Bit had this as a kitten and it took the longest time to resolve. We had to treat it with antivirals and something else (I want to say interferon, honestly, I can’t remember) in eye drop form for a long time (months), but it finally resolved and she never had a recurrence.

Has she ever had X-rays of her chest and airway to look for any structural abnormality? Does she wheeze when breathing in or out?

Ultimately, if your vet is not addressing this, you will need to have someone else take a look at her.

Good luck with her and please let us know how she does :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Huskyluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the response. Yes, that tiny space is the 2 inch gap between the cabinet and fridge. :rolleyes2:

Dahlia's sisters name is Daisy. They are less than 4 weeks apart in age but Daisy is more than double her size.

She has not had any scans or x-rays. The 2nd foster had her vet listen to her heart & lungs before any of this started and her vet said everything sounded fine. In fact, the first & second fosters indicate she didn't have any breathing issues with either of them. However she could hear her breathing was not normal the very night we brought her home.

You know, I don't know if the sound is on the inhale or exhale...hard to tell. I have to say, the last few days it almost sounds like congestion when she breathes. I don't know if I should press for further testing or wait and see. That's kinda what I wanted to get a feel for here.

This is not my usual vet either but we had to rush her in on a Sunday and our normal vet is not open Sundays but this one we've been taking her to the last 2 times is open 7 days a week. So I had planned to resume care at our normal vet once we got her healthy again. I just didn't want to be back and forth between vets on this issue if I could help it.

Huskyluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am going to update this since it's been 2 weeks & we haven't really gotten anywhere. We've had 2 more vet visits since my last post (1 per week).

July 20th, (12 weeks old) Dahlia weighed 1 lb 13 oz but all the issues were still presenting. Vet wanted to start a different antibiotic but I wanted to give her a break so she could recover from the antibiotic induced diarrhea. While that week long break did allow her stools to recover to normal, there was no other improvement in breathing or appetite.

July 25th she started having short body spasms whenever she was up walking, standing or eating. Laying down and sleeping she was okay. This was brought to the attention of the vet when I took her in 2 days later.

July 27th, (13 weeks old) she was STILL 1 lb 13 oz. She just had no appetite & breathing was no better. Vet did an x-ray and confirmed the lungs were clear, no chance of ashtma, and there was no fluid around the heart. The x-ray showed no issues. She wasn't spasming in the office so I showed the vet a video which he dismissed as hiccups...it was NOT hiccups. Anyway, she also had a ton more ear discharge so the vet cleaned her ears & applied Osurnia to each ear for infection. We were sent home with Gentamicin ophthalmic drops to apply 1 drop in each nostril twice/day. She got another Drontal and started on Baytril antibiotic for 16 days.

That night & next day she was sneezing out mucus which we figured was her nasal congestion clearing out and man she suddenly had a major appetite like nothing I'd ever seen before. 2 days later she weighed 2 lbs, 3 oz even and I had high Hope's we were on our way to a healthy kitten finally. The spasms have not recurred since the day I last had her at the vet thankfully although they did nothing to directly address them.

Then on day 4 she sounded so much more congested all of a sudden & her appetite completely vanished. It is now day 6 & her breathing is terrible again and I've been giving the Gentamicin drops 2x/day as instructed plus adding in a saline rinse in between the Gentamicin applications. There is no improvement in breathing, she has no appetite and has dropped down to 2 lbs, 1 oz.

I am giving up on this new vet we've been taking her to and have scheduled an appt for her to see our regular vet tomorrow. I am at my wits end right now and I swear she's taken 5 years off my life expectancy so far not to mention the small fortune she has cost us for date.

And silkenpaw, if you're still around, I asked the vet if the sound was on the inhale or exhale (because I honestly can't tell) and she believes it is on the inhale. Not sure if that makes a difference.

On the up side, she has been playful and has had more energy since the last vet appt than she ever has since I adopted her.

And she's still so loving (Dahlia is on the right).
20180729_175217.jpg

Huskyluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Forgot to mention her eye issue is also still presenting despite twice daily treatment for that as well. Thanks to the probiotics, this time around she's not had diarrhea on the antibiotics either.

Emizawesome

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried getting bloodwork done? Also there is ointment for the eye for bacteria that might stop the watering.

If cats cant smell, they will not eat.

I would check her nose and upper res tract again. Is she is spasming it sounds like brain involvement.

Huskyluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have been using Terramycin and Gentomicin on the eyes (not at the same time of course).

I can ask about the possibility of doing bloodwork at our appt tomorrow. Anything in particular you suggest looking for or just a general work up?

I think my regular vet (where we're taking her tomorrow for the 1st time) is a much better vet so hopefully we start making some progress. Just seems like this has been a back and forth roller coaster ride where we make progress then lose ground, make progress, backtrack. :sigh:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just throwing this in the air...could her breathing be an allergy to something? One of my cats has breathing issues around anything scented. Which means no scented clumping cat litter, I have to stay with unscented clay litter. If I spray anything (like glade or Fabreeze), she starts sneezing and wheezing real bad.
Do you use anything that could be setting off a reaction in her?

Huskyluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kashmir, that's certainly a possibility. Off the top of my head I use unscented World's Best corn litter and haven't used any air fresheners, plug-ins, etc. I do use scented laundry detergent...I don't even own any laundry detergent that is unscented. Do you have to use unscented detergent with yours?

I don't think the litter is the problem since World's Best is what the foster before I adopted her used & she reportedly did not have this issue before.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Tide and Oxy Clean and it doesn't seem to affect her. It's only when things get in her nose, like litter or fresheners. I didn't really think this was the problem, but it was worth a thought.
Have her kidneys checked when the blood panel is done at the vets office. (I'm not going into detail, just have it done).

Huskyluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestion, I will bring it up at our appt tomorrow.

As for detergent, I am limited since we are on a septic, but I use Arm & Hammer with Oxi-Clean.

Huskyluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wanted to update this in case anyone else might be going through something similar in the future. After many more vet visits & way too many medications that did nothing,
IMG_4998.jpg
our little Dahlia only continued to decline. We were at the vet once or twice a week at a certain point to no avail.

Finally she got so bad that she could barely draw breath & could no longer physically eat (not for lack of trying either, she couldn't swallow food). We were desperate & opted to put her under for exploratory surgery.

Turns out she had a bilateral nasopharyngeal polyp located just behind the soft palate at the back of her throat. This polyp had grown so big it prevented her from breathing or swallowing food. She was 4 months old and 2.5 lbs at the time of surgery.

IMG_4998.jpg

After the surgery she was like a brand new kitten. She could breathe, smell and EAT! She took an oral steroid for 2 weeks post op to help prevent recurrence but we know that it is a very real possibility.

She's now 6 months old and 4.5 lbs and absolutely thriving. She's been healthy enough to get all her vaccines & spayed.

We consulted at least 4 different vets on this issue, one of them being a feline only vet and I'm glad we trusted our gut & went with our primary vets advice because she literally saved this girls life. We only hope this polyp doesn't come back.

20181101_091916.jpg

Huskyluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, not sure what happened with the surgery picture showing twice. I can't figure out how to edit the post to remove the 1st one.

Huskyluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I hope our experience may prove helpful to others out there. Most of the vets dismissed the idea of a polyp in her due to her symptoms having started so early in life (she had trouble breathing already when she was removed from her 1st foster home at 8 weeks).

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read through your thread and I now have tears of joy in my eyes. So happy she is well now! I know the frustration of a vet not able to diagnose the problem. Glad you were able to find someone who could help her. I will keep my fingers crossed that there is no reoccurring polyp issue.

Huskyluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, and at least if it does recur we will know what we are dealing with & how to treat it. If it comes back I will try to make it a point to update here with that info on how long it took to reoccur, size, unit vs bilateral, etc...but definitely hoping it doesn't come back.