Kitten Having Diarrhea

Crazycatlady1129

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My new kitten has started having occasional diarrhea. This has only started in the last three days, and she only has a loose stool once or twice a day. I've had her for about two weeks, so I don't think it's from switching her food. I give her 2/3 of a 5.5 ounce can of wet food daily, and she has dry food down 24/7. My other two kittens are on the same food and the same diet, and they never have loose stools. She's about 3 months old, approximately. Could she have a food intolerance, or is this normal?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She could have an intolerance for something in the food, or she may have a load of parasites. I've never run across a kitten who didn't have worms to some degree or another, and it can certainly cause this. I'd give your vet a call and see what he thinks, just to be on the safe side. There are so many reasons that this could happen, MOST of them are an easy fix, but a few can be life-threatening, and the sooner you know, the better for the kitten!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crazycatlady1129

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's already been treated for parasites at the vet. All my girls have. We have an appointment Monday for shots, so I'll talk to him about this then. :( I hope it's an easy fix. The reason I'm thinking food intolerance is because the runny stools happen within 30 minutes or so of her morning wet food. The few times she has them later in the day, it's not that long after she scarfed down a bunch of dry.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think many parasites need more than one treatment to be fully eradicated. But I would suspect some kind of food intolerance also. Do you feed a variety of wet foods or just one flavor?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you suspect (and I suspect this, as well) a food intolerance, I highly suggest that you begin keeping a journal. It can be very simple, just what food you fed, and if it triggered the diarrhea. Once you know that, you can start figuring out what the exact ingredient is that triggers it.