Kitten Hasn't Gone To Bathroom In 3 Days, And Is Vomiting

WhatchaCallKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Got this kitten 3 days ago. Despite placing him in the litter box multiple times everyday, rubbing his belly and uaingnanwet washcloth on his bum he still hasn't used the litter box at all.

He is eating and drinking a lot.

Also, he is coughing, and just vomited.

His abdomen looks to be a bit swollen, though it's hard to tell.

He was very scared at first, hiding under the bed, but is warming up and is extremely friendly *after* I manage to catch him from running away.

What might this be? Heartworm? Constipation? Normal? Please let me know your views and what is the best step to take now.

Thanks

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
he really needs the vet. Could be constipated, could be worms. If he has not went to the potty in 3 days, and is vomiting he could be blocked which is an emergency situation. If you can please take him to the vet, as soon as possible, today if you can. And do keep us updated, i will worry about him. :crossfingers:

Aieko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone, take the poor kitty to the vet. It could be anything.

Let us know how it goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WhatchaCallKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, all of the vets are closed and the 24-hour emergency is too expensive. Will go tomorrow, hopefully.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At 10 weeks old he doesn't need to be stimulated to go. So if he isn't going and hasn't in 3 days I would be waiting at the vet when they open tomorrow. If there is any way to manage the 24 hour vet cost I would do it; this is potentially life threatening.

Aieko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with Kieka Kieka , this could threaten your babies life. Kittens that are 5 weeks and over do not need to be stimulated to go, as Kieka said. Please keep us updated as we are all worried about your little furball. Don't stress as that might affect the kittens mood as well. Be sure to keep a good eye on him as his conditions might get worse. (I would be stressing so much, so I don't blame you if you do.)

May I ask if he has a name?

WhatchaCallKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with Kieka Kieka , this could threaten your babies life. Kittens that are 5 weeks and over do not need to be stimulated to go, as Kieka said. Please keep us updated as we are all worried about your little furball. Don't stress as that might affect the kittens mood as well. Be sure to keep a good eye on him as his conditions might get worse. (I would be stressing so much, so I don't blame you if you do.)

May I ask if he has a name?
Thank you for your reply (and others, if you replied and read this). His condition isn't worse than the first day, it's the same. That's what I was waiting for to see if it was just hairballs (keep in mind, it's normal for a kitty to not go for 24 hours, while uncoon, I thought nothing of it) it was the coughing that started it.

I figure it's just a hairball, so again, don't think much of it. However, after the second day, it's clear something isn't right

She's coughing, vomited twice and isn't pooping or peeing. However, she's very very happy, which makes me happy that she isn't suffering. With that said, I'm not going to sacrifice my own well being to pay for emergency service, especially since she isn't sufferin, it's an easy decision. I'm planning to see the vet tomorrow morning. Will hopefully keep y'all posted.

WhatchaCallKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey,
Couldn't make it to the vet today, however the litter box is full and she isn't afraid of me anymore so maybe she went while I was at work for 8 hours. She isn't suspiciously heavy, abdomen isn't bloated, she's extremely happy (purring non-stop), haven't seen her coughing, though she did sneeze twice. She's eating and drinking a lot. I have still yet to see her use the litter box myself though. Also she didn't vomit today (yet). Only saw her vomit once. I'm kind of torn about what to do since she's so happy, it doesn't seem like anything is wrong and don't want to waste my money. (If I had considerably more, it would be a no-brainer, but gotta pay rent!) Let me know what you think.

WhatchaCallKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, forgot to mention that we have 2 kitties, and the other uses the box frequently, and since I work 8 hours, how to know if the other is going too now?

Fyi, for 3 days after getting them, I didn't work, and only one used the litter box, and the other was extremely scared, always running and hiding under the bed so... Your views?

Also she was eating and drinking, but vomited once and having bouts of coughing a few times a day, with occassionally sneezing.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both cats need to be seen by a vet if you didn’t get them from a shelter. They will need to be spayed and neuter, and dewormed. If you can’t take one to the vet because of lack of finances then perhaps you shouldn’t have two cats. The odds of them needing vetting is very high especially if they weren’t adopted from a rescue or shelter who did the vetting before hand. I hate to be blunt but that’s the way it is. Most people do not take these things into consideration before getting a pet. If an emergency comes up (And all the symptoms you are explaining sound like an emergency to me) and you can’t pay for it your cats will suffer. And cats are extremely good at hiding pain from us so for all you know your cat actually IS suffering and in pain, I can almost guarantee it is if it’s actually not pooping and continuing to eat. They will need spayed and neutered asap as well. Before 3-4 months becuase that’s when they will start to go into heat/spraying. There are low cost spay and neuter clinics, but it still won’t be free. Pets are like babies. They cost a lot of money and if you aren’t willing to commit maybe it’s not the best thing to have responsibility of right now.
If anything out of the ordinary happens in the next 24 hrs I would make an appointment for as soon as possible. No excuses.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also, it's actually not normal for a kitten not to eliminate for 24 hours, and especially not for several days. 24 hours might be acceptable for an older cat, but not for a kitten this young.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that all kittens need a vet visit. Most kittens need parasite, and other treatments to grow up happy and healthy. Especially the one that seems to be sick. If you have multiple kittens in the same room there is no way to know who is using the box.:crossfingers:

Adelei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have two kittens sharing a litterbox, there's no way to know for sure who used it and who didn't. Even if you stayed home with them all day, surely you slept at some point. So it's possible that she was using it and you just never caught her. The only way to know for sure if she's started using it is to separate them and give her a clean litterbox. Also, if you're not using clumping litter or crystal litter that shows the color, it can be hard to tell if she's peed (I don't think you're supposed to use clumping litter for kittens that young, but I can't remember off-hand).

In either case, 3 days without a bowel movement or urinating is not normal and definitely warrants a visit to the vet.

Sallysoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi WccKitty, yes what was stated above are really the fact. Hope you are not offended or being discouraged. Yes having a pet kitty is a great responsibility. Likewise for a pet dog. Beside loving and having fun with them, you need to provide veterinary care for them esp when they are in need. Several cat owners here at my side don’t view it that way, either it is a waste of money or no money to bring the kitty to the vet and thus let it be, even the kitty has to suffer till it’s last breath. Usually help doesn’t just come by easily. Hope you understand.

I just want to say be prepared and save for your kitties raining days if you want to keep them. You may choose not to accept this but down the road you will know. All the best to you and your kitties.

Last edited: