Kitten has withdrawn from us

naomihj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my male, neutered kitten is 9 months old and has always been very energetic and affectionate. Over the last couple of weeks, he’s seemed to withdraw. He still has energy spikes but in general is much calmer, he is laying down anywhere and everywhere, and he is far less affectionate with us. His behaviour just seems very different! He is an indoor cat but we take him out in the garden a few times a day - he loves running around but we live on a very busy road and are unable to put a cat flap in our back door (which is glass).
physically he seems fine - eating and drinking as normal. He did have a little bit of dihorrea a couple of weeks ago but seems fine now.
Any thoughts would be really appreciated. I’m very worried about him but am also known for overthinking so may well be overreacting on this!
Thank you.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A visit to the vet wouldn’t be out of order, but it seems your kitten is getting settled in.

Kittens are a bundle of energy and doubly so with the excitement of a new home. I think that initial high is wearing off.

Play with your cat and put him on scheduled mealtimes (if you haven’t already) and he’ll start paying more attention to you.

PS- You’re very wise not letting him outside unsupervised.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Another vote for "see his vet." Any sudden change, especially lethargy, in a kitten is cause for concern. And, although the diarrhea is no longer present, what caused it MIGHT be.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
9 months also seems like a bit soon for calming down to me...

A vet visit could be in order, or at least a phone call so the technician can ask some questions to see if you need to bring your cat in. In my experience, most places will not have you bring him in unless they are worried about something and they'll tell you what to watch out for, or to bring him in if the behaviour doesn't stop in x time.

When was the last time you took him out? Is he harnessed or in a pen during this time? Could he have gotten an insect bite or sting or eaten something toxic to him?

How long have you had him? Cats can be a bit sad about leaving their litter mates. For some adventurers this only happens after a few weeks, but if you've had him a few months I wouldn't think this is the case.