Kitten Has Taken To Pooping On Our Loveseat Grrr

greeneyes2002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. I am a cat momma of a 13, 11 and 5 mo old cats/kitten. My youngest Moonlight has taken to pooping on top of the loveseat when I have seen her actually use the litter box. She had peed on that sofa too. This has started just recently (we have had her for 2 months). We have spaces for them to have "privacy" too. I have a vet appt for her tomorrow AM and I hope this can be resolved. Hubby is not happy with this but I am not going to toss her out. He doesn't want that either.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry it's kitten litter box issues that brought you here. I'm glad you've got a vet appointment for her, as it's best to rule out something medically going on.

Did this just start? Does she get along with the other cats?

And are you using an enzyme cleaner to clean the loveseat? That is the only cleaner that will totally remove the urine smell, and if she can still smell it, she may think it's ok to keep going there.

Here's a couple TCS articles with more info:
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Combat Cat Urine
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, rubysmama rubysmama got here first with the articles and advice I was thinking of as I read your post! Let us know what the vet says, and we can go from there!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree, a vet visit is in order - the vet will hopefully ask all the right questions to help zero in on possible issues that could cause this new behavior. Have the older cats 'accepted' Moonlight? If not entirely, she could be reacting to continued 'rejection'. There are a myriad of reasons, so write up a list of possible contributors to this behavior, and if your vet doesn't hit on all them, bring them up to him/her.

If your sofa is fabric (vs. leather), you might want to buy The Equalizer (Amazon.com) and use it. Unlike so many other products, this one does NOT require you to totally saturate the area for it to clean/clear poop/pee residue/smells.